This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the horns, less it's more, want say, the horns be really oversized
    maybe half so big ... the horns on the picture it is also oversized ..
    in my opinion you have seen the bioknives from Skaarjs 1 ? on the arms, let view like it looks
    the Head, we are not in an Comic *g* maybe more realistic, less chin, more face

the picture it is only an Design idea and it's not really relastik, if you whant see an really
    realistic, show the Skaarj in Unreal 1 and the Skaarj in Unreal 2 they are realistic ..

the body of you Skaarj it's very fantasic maybe bigger arms, because they are catcher,
    meat-eater and need really they muscles and therewith need an good muscles on the upper arms .
    the tail it's very well done ..

best regards
    Blacky
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blackcrack; 08-04-2014, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Perna View Post
      Hey guys,

I was sifting through some of our old UT art folders and came across this piece of concept art by JayHawk for a new Skaarj character that never made it into a game. Feel free to use it however you like. I think it is a good representation of the quality bar and clarity of character we should be trying to meet with reguards to concept art and character design. There is a clear, readable illustration that shows off the form of the character and also a few orthographic views which should give character artists a good idea what it looks like from different sides.

Also, to give you a little more insight into our production pipeline, our internal process usually looks something like this:

1. Rough out a few sketchy designs and see what sticks. These are usually quick rough sketches, kept purposefully loose, really just shape recognition to lock down design and form before noodling in on details.

2. Refine and adjust rough sketches. Tighten up the rough work, usually a concept artist will work in conjunction with an Art Director and maybe a Designer at this point to reveal more form/function.

3. Create a tighter comp. A new illustration that looks more final than the rough wip's. This is where the design usually starts to really take shape.

4. Refine and tweak, Art Director, Designers, Character Artists and Animators take a much closer look and give more detailed feedback on form and function.

5. Final illustration. Incorporates all of the feedback and is usually rolled into a tight color concept.

6. Orthographic views. Once the final design has been worked out the artist will create turn-around orthographic views which allow the character artists to model the characters in a more timely manner.

This process may be quick or there may be many more steps depending on how complex the character (or whatever you are conceptualizing) is.

Anyway, have at it. I'd be happy to see someone try to model this character or take the illustration and improve upon it somehow.

What does your version of the Skaarj look like?
      What would armored variants look like?
      Different facial variations?

Again, feel free to do what you want to the illustrations. Use them as a base to paint or simply inspiration.

-Chris

Chris.. I like the concepts beeing posted here very much, I wish I had skills like that. That beeing said.. I see on all art forums (like weapons etc) that also the functionality comes to mind. Like with a rocket launcher, there were some designs in which the barrels would not be able to rotate. Now when I see your design of the skaarj: how would you headshot it from behind? Its head seems to be at the same level (or slightly lower) than its neck.

Comment

Originally posted by abby View Post
        Chris.. I like the concepts beeing posted here very much, I wish I had skills like that. That beeing said.. I see on all art forums (like weapons etc) that also the functionality comes to mind. Like with a rocket launcher, there were some designs in which the barrels would not be able to rotate. Now when I see your design of the skaarj: how would you headshot it from behind? Its head seems to be at the same level (or slightly lower) than its neck.
        It is fairly common knowledge that the skeletons are all the same in the game. A headshot in the game isn't really about shooting the head, as some players are taller and some are shorter. Take the Nali Warcow. Its head sits lower than its back. You have to aim above the Warcow's back to get the headshot.
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
          It is fairly common knowledge that the skeletons are all the same in the game. A headshot in the game isn't really about shooting the head, as some players are taller and some are shorter. Take the Nali Warcow. Its head sits lower than its back. You have to aim above the Warcow's back to get the headshot.
          Which is utterly confusing and thus something that people are trying to change.
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

and, it's not interresting, if the Head more upper or more lower, once it is importable , the fun factor !, i have no fun, if i shoot ever on an 1,834 meter/3.28084 foot upper head on any gamer .. i whant hunting, and looking where i am shooting, the art on it, it is when the shoot to meet, and not an automatik learning.. ballering/shooting without any brain .., no, aim and shoot, hunt it and meet and not.. bumm bumm bumm.., this is less fun, so it is very good, if give different targets and not all the same.. that's the fun, you have to aim and send to the bottom, if you honestly, it's exactly what makes it fun on different target ..

best regards
            Blacky

Comment

So far I like most of the new models in this threat. Looking good guys.
              Last edited by McTerry; 08-14-2014, 05:08 PM.
              ~{DW}McTerry~~>

Comment

The concept art is looking beast, (quite literally) Thing is, the vehicles have to be up to par. I can't imagine a Skaarj in a mini wheel operated human vehicle.

Comment

An Skaarj ? Driving ? does he not, he is there to dumb *lol*

Comment

Hi everyone! Wanna join the brainstorm here

I really like K-2's description of Skaarj: "smart sneaky ********. Straight & proud frame, strong but not too beefy"
                    Also Diode's: "They were always upright and proud just like their blatantly obvious inspiration - the Predator."

The initial design, as well as TeriyakiStyle's and seth.'s tries, make feel like it's a character from RPG game, some kind of demonic dragon/orc beast. For Skaarj I feel a Predator kind of look with a goodly balanced mix of reptile and orc features would be the solution.

Here are some concepts that I like so far:
                    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...4&d=1401756698 by Gooba
                    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ntover_001.jpg by ScoobyDoofus
                    http://www.runesofwar.net/download/skaarj_ut.jpg by SgtRenny
                    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ul-d7ktrm2.jpg by pervomonkey

..also I allowed myself to play around and stitch together what I like about each design!

So here we go..

First I connected Gooba's head with ScoobyDoofus's chest design (excuse lighting, it was a quicky)

Then I overlaid SgtRenny's head sketch and seen something interesting happening

Adjusted the head quickly to fit the sketch

Added body from pervomonkey's sketch and slapped some very quick colors

Also compared Gooba's head design alone to the body

I hope you don't mind me dissecting your art guys! Hope it might inspire some new ideas and designs
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mir!x; 08-29-2014, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Wow man, that is freaking awesome!
                      Nice creativity on the concept mash.

Comment

siiick!! @#&!@# hahaha!
                        BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                        DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord
                        ‚Äč
                        Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Nice concept bashing Mr!x. I might riff on those for some additions to the Skaarj team.

Also, just a quick crosspost from "Tim's Art Thread" arukun14 had a skaarj concept I thought looked ace, and so I've got it just about game ready. Need to fix some skeleton weighting issues and a few other bits, then make the animation set. But here's what he looks like now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarj_Posed_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	330208Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarj_Posed_02.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	330209Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarj_Posed_04.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	330210

Comment

Big fan. Like the posteriow view as well
                            Attached Files

Comment

Although i must say that the other designs (especially goobas for me) are fantastic as well and i hope they make it into the game

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoofus View Post

So far im myself still favorizing
                                these - i like the insectyness.
                                GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Working...
                                X