Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the one side all of the concepts are looking great .. really but on the other side ... most of them are not Skaarjs for me!
    Skaarjs are very well defined in unreal1, unreal2 and ut2k4. The most important thing is, they going fully upright and don't have tons of spikes on their body (like a hedgehog). Most of this creations here looks more like a krall from ut3 than a skaarj from the unreal series.

don't get me wrong the concepts looks great and it's an interesting creature design but i hope epic won't do a fully redesign of them
    http://www.ut-X.net

Comment

just for reference. The skaarj from UT99 . Took the liberty of digging into the mesh browser and make a small collage. Don't know if it will be of use in this advanced stage. But anyway.
      Attached Files
      BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
      DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Very nice work ToGe!

TrûFa power!
        [SPA][.Trûñeros Fardones - Masilla Squad.] - To flak or not flak, that is the question.

Comment

A quick sketch with my idea for the skarj.

Comment

Trekz, nope, it's more an "Troll" from Europe as an Skaarj .. Department of trash ....
            Last edited by Blackcrack; 10-23-2014, 03:07 AM.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to side with the unreal 2 skarrj. That big beefy form with the blades is perfect.

However I don't necessarily think you want those guys to be leaping about holding guns. I think it might be worth making seperate threads for pure bloods and hybrids.
              Alot of the discusion in here seems to be based on the divide between the two. With 2 threads each group could focus on perfecting the Skaarj they love.

Hybrids, being leaner, work alot better in the tournament itself and as playable characters (jumping around and shooting people)
              Pure bloods excel at melee, when one of those beefcakes lines you up in thier sights and starts charging you (terrifying but awesome)

Maybe the pure bloods could be worked into the game through unique gametypes or mutators. (A mutator that lands a skaarj boarding party smack in the middle of the round for everyone to deal with would be pretty fun)

Just my thoughts.

Comment

I think you hit it right on the nail Chong. Two separate skaarj types would be ideal. One to focus more on practicality from a tournament champion side and the other to just be outright frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by Chong View Post
                  Just my thoughts.
                  I like your thoughts. Especially the skaarj boarding party gametype.
                  UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                  Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                  "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

I love most of the design, however I think it could do without the mechanical arm. I liked 2004 skaarj.

Comment

I think the mechanical arm is a bit too much fashion over function - it just looks like it would be in the way. Additionally, the teeth that I'm seeing on most of the concepts within this thread have two major gripes with me, 1, the teeth always look as if they're angled inwards instead of outwards. It just makes me think whenever they speak that that's gotta be really painful. 2, there appears to be a common theme that the Skaarj are animalistic, as seen from the sort of gorilla-like stance that a lot of the characters have. I always saw the Skaarj has a cross between the Predator and Orcs from Warcraft. Certainly not stupid, but, saturated in tradition, even if they have interstellar flight all worked out, portraying them as animalistic is sort of conveying the wrong idea, innit bruv?

Comment

Originally posted by Trekz View Post
                        A quick sketch with my idea for the skarj.

"We will never be slaves!"
                        Unofficial Enforcer Model
                        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

I kinda like the Unreal 2 Skaarjs due to how they're suppose to be portrayed as the Warrior Caste who are bigger and bulkier than their Weapon-faring Trooper Class.

Comment

Hey folks, I am really loving the work everyone is doing so far!

I just wanted to say hi. I was the artist responsible for the Skaarj in UT2004, and ended up doing most of the concept, models and textures for them in the release (I also did the merc and a bucket of other characters). I thought you would all like to hear about how and why they changed from unreal 2 to their third incarnation. Basically, it was all about vehicles. 04 was the first time a Skaarj had to fit in a jeep and hold a gun up to it's chest like a human and use a very similar skeleton. Much of the concept art had things like massive cyber claws, spikes and huge shoulder cybernetics... all stuff that all had to be stripped out in order to work. It also is why the dreads are smaller and more tubular than the original insectoid ones. Having to handle guns forced us to curve the tusks, which where straight in all the previous incarnations! Arms could not be too thick, as the range of motion in the gun poses was predefined. So basically he was squished and squeezed to work for the game, rather than the aesthetic.

I was talking to Jay Wilbur recently at a show we where both speakers at and he suggested It would be cool if I returned to do some Skaarj for the new UT14 since my DNA was already in it! Well, my schedule is flatout at the moment, but I hope my schedule clears up soon and I may have another crack.

I think I will go more back to the original Unreal Skaarj if I do. The Unreal 2 ones look nice and solid in that pencil concept, but they would not look too lumbery in motion, and not like they could pounce with their blades as they did in unreal 1.

Anyway, loving this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Delaney King View Post

I just wanted to say hi. I was the artist responsible for the Skaarj in UT2004, and ended up doing most of the concept, models and textures for them in the release (I also did the merc and a bucket of other characters). I thought you would all like to hear about how and why they changed from unreal 2 to their third incarnation. Basically, it was all about vehicles. 04 was the first time a Skaarj had to fit in a jeep and hold a gun up to it's chest like a human and use a very similar skeleton. Much of the concept art had things like massive cyber claws, spikes and huge shoulder cybernetics... all stuff that all had to be stripped out in order to work. It also is why the dreads are smaller and more tubular than the original insectoid ones. Having to handle guns forced us to curve the tusks, which where straight in all the previous incarnations! Arms could not be too thick, as the range of motion in the gun poses was predefined. So basically he was squished and squeezed to work for the game, rather than the aesthetic.

I was talking to Jay Wilbur recently at a show we where both speakers at and he suggested It would be cool if I returned to do some Skaarj for the new UT14 since my DNA was already in it! Well, my schedule is flatout at the moment, but I hope my schedule clears up soon and I may have another crack.

I think I will go more back to the original Unreal Skaarj if I do. The Unreal 2 ones look nice and solid in that pencil concept, but they would not look too lumbery in motion, and not like they could pounce with their blades as they did in unreal 1.

How about you do a Hybrid between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Delaney King View Post

Awesome! Really cool to get some of the original talent looking back in and informing the process here. Personally I thought the Skaarj in UT2004 turned out quite well for the constraints of having to fit the same proportions and animations. Never had any complaints with their depiction there. Would be really curious to see some of those crazier concepts you mentioned though.
                                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Working...
                                X