This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to see the new Skaarj!

I forgot to post this final pic I did before the holidays. More of a throwback to the original and much more humanoid-reptile.
    I don't really think this would work in the new UT though, so I'll call it more of a fan-art piece!

1080 res below
    Attached Files
    3d Artist
    UT Cosmetic Items |
    UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Originally posted by illShadow View Post
      Hey Guys.. I'm pretty new to the Unreal forums. I have only recently started using UE outside of work, so I'm still getting the hang of it. Being a long time UT fan, I would love to at least be a part of the development, even if it is just to post a few images, chat to people and get some UE experience.

I saw many of the images you guys posted, but I just really loved the first concept image Chris posted... so I just went with that and see where it went. I spent about a day just blocking out rough anatomy, and kept him pretty slim to make sure he'll be able to move around with agility, even if he does bulk up with the armor later on. In terms of workflow I did a quick custom skeleton for the guy just to make sure all the anatomy connects where is should, especially with the overhanging ribcage, I just wanted to make sure it'll read plausible. Most of the parts are still separate meshes, so everything is still very broad strokes in terms of refinement.

My main concern at this stage is overall proportions, I had the head a bit bigger, but that looked a bit goofy... I also went back and forth on the arms and legs length. So any comments and insights welcome.

These are very good. For me the tail is extremely important because if its not done right it throws off my ability to believe in the character... I think your character (and most others) would be even better if he had a smaller tail that flowed off his tail bone. (please stay away from the 1950's godzilla style) I believe the character below is a good example of a good tail. (it does not need to be Crockodile-ish)

Originally posted by Gengisgandhi View Post
      Big fan. Like the posteriow view as well
      Good work guys! please keep them coming!
      Last edited by JustinM; 01-09-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delaney King View Post
        Hey folks, I am really loving the work everyone is doing so far!

I just wanted to say hi. I was the artist responsible for the Skaarj in UT2004, and ended up doing most of the concept, models and textures for them in the release (I also did the merc and a bucket of other characters). I thought you would all like to hear about how and why they changed from unreal 2 to their third incarnation. Basically, it was all about vehicles. 04 was the first time a Skaarj had to fit in a jeep and hold a gun up to it's chest like a human and use a very similar skeleton. Much of the concept art had things like massive cyber claws, spikes and huge shoulder cybernetics... all stuff that all had to be stripped out in order to work. It also is why the dreads are smaller and more tubular than the original insectoid ones. Having to handle guns forced us to curve the tusks, which where straight in all the previous incarnations! Arms could not be too thick, as the range of motion in the gun poses was predefined. So basically he was squished and squeezed to work for the game, rather than the aesthetic.

I was talking to Jay Wilbur recently at a show we where both speakers at and he suggested It would be cool if I returned to do some Skaarj for the new UT14 since my DNA was already in it! Well, my schedule is flatout at the moment, but I hope my schedule clears up soon and I may have another crack.

I think I will go more back to the original Unreal Skaarj if I do. The Unreal 2 ones look nice and solid in that pencil concept, but they would not look too lumbery in motion, and not like they could pounce with their blades as they did in unreal 1.

Anyway, loving this thread!
        I loved the skaarj design from 2k4. Would it be possible for you to post some of that concept art you mentioned?

Anyway, I'd love to see what you come up with!
        My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by danpaz3d View Post

I forgot to post this final pic I did before the holidays. More of a throwback to the original and much more humanoid-reptile.
          I don't really think this would work in the new UT though, so I'll call it more of a fan-art piece!

1080 res below

ehh wow ! but it's to much humanlike , but it's grate, how ever.. like it..
          but not as directly Skaarj,
          as maybe an Dawrnohrg or something . primeval forest Skaarj, by longer looking on ..

best regards
          Blacky
          Last edited by Blackcrack; 01-12-2015, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danpaz3d View Post

1080 res below
            This says "I'm a Skaarj Hybrid" ...perfect.
            ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Perna View Post
              danpaz3d, you might want to hold off on that for a bit. I have an artist named Carlos Huante creating some new Skaarj variations. He's going to look more anthropomorphic than in the past which is a good thing imo.

-Chris
              Original quote

That was 5 months ago, when will we see updates on it?
              There are so many cool models and concepts in this thread but none of it made it further.

Edit: From "Unreal Tournament Behind the Scenes", looks like a skaarj.

Last edited by RoJoZo; 03-07-2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Looks like a Krall. That cranial ridge...

Comment

Hi all,
                  At first I wanted to try my hand on this guy as a sketch, but as I was advancing I realized that I really liked where it was going, so I kept at it.
                  I went for a hitech design but in the same time trying to preserve a bit of their tribal origins trough attitude and the way certain outfit elements hang on him.
                  I hope you'll enjoy just as much as I did working on it.

Cheers

Attached Files

Comment

omg Bizarde, I love it! Please try iterating on heads, making more variants and styles... Really good start, keep up the good work man! #respect

Comment

Looks pretty sweet Bizarde! I like the care you put in to figuring out flexible areas in the joints

Comment

Originally posted by MrShmaiDrei View Post
                        Original quote

That was 5 months ago, when will we see updates on it?
                        There are so many cool models and concepts in this thread but none of it made it further.

Edit: From "Unreal Tournament Behind the Scenes", looks like a skaarj.

wohhhhuu.. pretty cool ! and have the Bloody, "if you be my Enemy , I rip you into all pieces" "feeling" and "I's an Real Warrior " thing ..

i like the first Picture

best regards
                        Blacky

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarde View Post
                          Hi all,
                          At first I wanted to try my hand on this guy as a sketch, but as I was advancing I realized that I really liked where it was going, so I kept at it.
                          I went for a hitech design but in the same time trying to preserve a bit of their tribal origins trough attitude and the way certain outfit elements hang on him.
                          I hope you'll enjoy just as much as I did working on it.

Cheers

That Skaarj Looks like it should be for invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                            Looks like a Krall. That cranial ridge...
                            The "hair" and blade on the arms looks like skaarj. For me it looks like a modern skaarj, maybe with the mouth shut it will look more like it.

And nice concept, Bizarde !
                            The face looks a bit too monster-like, the proportions and the armor looks very cool.

Comment

Those armor could appear abit more
                              alien-stylish and less practial for me.
                              GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Hah was just going through this thread and i realized how much i dont like the op concept, that hunched deformed one
                                So Bizarde and one other one gave me an idea for something more tamed down, something more proud and lean, trijointed legs and bigger mass
                                And heres a quick zbrush sculpt, dunno if i will take it further if i do i will try to make it a bit more scary, but not too much, make his "hair" thicker and work the anatomy

And **** im blind i missed that sneak peak concept from behind the scenes, if its any indication of current direction i guess its kind of what i imagined, something more natural looking, something i could imagine would stand tall and proud as a warrior
                                I like the face

Anyway i like Bizarde take but i feel its a bit too quake'ish and horror like, lost that reptilian look, still its a cool concept
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X