This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post

I started this speed sculpt yesterday and it's turning out ok - I don't think I have really nailed the proportions yet but I thought I would share the progress so far if anyone wanted to use it to paintover armor ideas and head variants. Just a first pass but I am thinking of soft wrinkled dry skin in the body folds - more finely mottled and semi scaled skin overall and chiton plates or large armor scales (spiky) as accents. To me these dudes could be sort of Lizard Orcs haha - and have many variations to spikes and head forms - colors idk lots of possibility to reflect the Skaarj culture.

A random thought because Skaarj are warlike - they could apply acid to their skin to promote chiton plate growth - then carve designs into the plates - sort of a bio armor idea in addition to cyber armor - which I intend to make based on the concept.

The one big change I made was to the horns - I couldn't find a way to reconcile their placement in Hawkpreys concept anatomically - so I made more of a yolk structure for goring strength and to let the jaw become independent.

Consider this a rough pass I'd like to get a communal thumbs up eventually and share the ztool as well so people can sculpt ideas on top of it.
    I think you made it perfectly! In UT2004 they were too slim, in both Unreals they were too gorrila-like, but here they look like humanoid reptiles as they should. As of proportions, I'd say tail is oversized as well as legs, but that's just my opinion.
    They should be both strong and agile after all.

I also think of them as some sort of reptile orcs! Skaarj Hybrids in UT99 sounded as orcs too (sounds and voice). And they are green and have tusks! I'd put their tusks a bit lover around mouth though.
    I'd also love to see some hair or ponytail specimen too

Again good work and keep it up! This will be awesome!
    Last edited by Moona; 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

TeryakiStyle just wanted to offer up a few more crits.

I'd like to see you resolve its tusks. They have always originated in the mouth region and I think we should keep that original DNA.
      The tail is a bit too long I would shorten it by a third and make it thicker at the base.
      From the profile, his thighs appear too thin. His hamstrings and thighs should be thickened up a bit there. The front view looks ok.
      I would lose the gullet under the jaw line in the profile.
      It needs the trademark dreadlock appendages on top of the head.
      The chin feels a little long as well. I know it's like that in the concept but I would adjust a bit. Also make the teeth thinner.

That's it for now, can't wait to see where you take it. Looks like you have a great eye for anatomy and form.

-Chris

Comment

Woo thanks Chris! High Praise indeed!

Everyone else too thanks!

I will work on those changes and do another surfacing pass.

Comment

Very cool sculpt, loving the skin and leg protrusion/spikes. The horns however remind me of something from DOOM, and the tale is certainly way too long. Overall I think every character should stay as much as possible within default skeleton and hitbox proportions (which is of course difficult at this time when there's no standard set yet). So imo even a skaarj model should stick as close as possible to the basic human proportions, solely for gameplay balance purposes.

Comment

Friday! Tried to address all the notes from Chris - I don't think I missed anything.

*Changed the tusks position to better match the concept.
            *Changed the tails scale and base thickness
            *Reworked Thigh area - In fact might have over done in it - I'll refine more on the next pass.
            *Removed Gullet from under Jaw
            *Roughed out Dreadlocks - Idk if these appear too techy? I could easily try some more organic dreadlocks as well.
            *Worked Chin down a bit in scale
            *Reworked Teeth and mouth sctructure
            *Added ears idk I kind of like them
            *The face I go back and forth - it might be too crazy monster? Please let me know what you think or some sweet paintovers would be really cool

Alot of refinement left to do but it's great fun. First thing I want to attack next is hands and feet. I may block in the armor also to do some hard surface.

Can't wait to put some armor on this dude!

I did some more silly stuff here:

And if you want to see it in 3d I uploaded a decimated version to sketchfab. Not the greatest render in the world but you can at least see the forms in the round.
            https://skfb.ly/zZR6

Have a good weekend
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 05-24-2014, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Wow, looks pretty brutal, great work! However, a bit unrecognizable...
              I like the Wolk's concept, I think it's closer to that image formed by previous games, with more human-like proportions.
              In "Unreal" series there was always something about skaarj that makes them look like quite smart sneaky ********. Straight & proud frame, strong but not too beefy(except for Unreal 2), with sharp eye shape and cold look.
              That's pretty much it:

And those ones above looks for me like some kind of gene-moded berserkers. If it wasn't any signature I probably wouldn't think that's actually a skaarj (I think mostly because of facial structure). However it has somewhat similar to both skaarj and UT3 version of krall, maybe even looks like hybrid of those...

Originally posted by Chris Perna View Post
              What does your version of the Skaarj look like?
              Personally, I really like how they look in the classic Unreal and UT2k4, and I'm actually was quite disappointed that skaarj didn't appear in UT3. However there was a great fan-made mod:

So, I believe that skaarj shouldn't have too different appearance from the original. However any additional variants are always great

BTW, found some amazing 3d art (here):

I think that really fits the UT style. Just nothing to say...

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Comment

Good feedback and thanks for the reference - I 'll see if I can do some head variations. I think we can find a solution and variants people will like.

The last reference image is ok but it seems a bit overkill in details. I'd probably reduce the armor details quite a lot 60% or so. Glowing eyes seem a little out dated. But highly reflective eyes might be pretty cool. Like a gators eye shine at night.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the old facial structure. If you consider the lore of a Reptilian War like race bent on destruction - claiming dominion over "lesser species". And consider a species evolving from a reptilian primal origin I'd argue against ape like proportions. A lot of the art decisions of old were driven by technical limitations that are less constrictive these days. So I think overall distinct silhouettes are better than bi-pedal uniformity.

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback - I for one will consider all suggestions put forth in the level headed way you have. I'll work on some head variations with all this in mind.
                Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Good feedback and thanks for the reference - I 'll see if I can do some head variations. I think we can find a solution and variants people will like.

The last reference image is ok but it seems a bit overkill in details. I'd probably reduce the armor details quite a lot 60% or so. Glowing eyes seem a little out dated. But highly reflective eyes might be pretty cool. Like a gators eye shine at night.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the old facial structure. If you consider the lore of a Reptilian War like race bent on destruction - claiming dominion over "lesser species". And consider a species evolving from a reptilian primal origin I'd argue against ape like proportions. A lot of the art decisions of old were driven by technical limitations that are less constrictive these days. So I think overall distinct silhouettes are better than bi-pedal uniformity.

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback - I for one will consider all suggestions put forth in the level headed way you have. I'll work on some head variations with all this in mind.
                  I agree with you on that one. If anything, those examples given there are proof to me that clinging to ye olde designs of times long past results in a rather cartoony look, which conflicts with the realistic graphics. Don't get me wrong; I think those UT3 models look great. But out of place in game in which the art direction leans towards a, in a way, realistic look. I think the direction of the Skaarj given by Chris Perna and executed by you is rather good.

Comment

Here's a face pass incorporating some older influences - lessening the savageness and trying to get a more cunning looking personality.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Really impressed with how you are taking feedback in stride, making tweaks, experimenting etc. Great reference provided K-2! The last one feels like the level of detail is a bit over the top. Very close to the details in Gears of War figure, say Locust body armor. I think we should stay away from that much hyper-detail and instead do "more with less". UE4 will be great at lighting and shaders so we shouldn't have to go that detailed with the models to create something incredible.

Nice work all. Great to see the collaboration.

-Chris

Comment

One thing I really like about the JayHawk's concept is the way the plating above the eye continues back along the head instead of the usual zygo/temporal ridge. I think that adds to the DOOM look that you've got going on. I did a quick paintover, I imply a heavier ridge behind the horn than I meant to looking back on it.

Comment

Here's a face pass incorporating some older influences - lessening the savageness and trying to get a more cunning looking personality.
                          Looks very cool! However, the design makes me ask an, at the first glance, stupid question, but it's something that has the potential to linger with a lot of people: the tusks seems now to be pointing inward (the camera angle might give the wrong impression about the direction of the tusks, though), making it look as if the Skaarj will have a lot of difficulty eating, since the tusks now seem to be in the way of its mouth and his hands are probably too big to put them between those tusks. Maybe make the tusks longer so the distance from the mouth increases more, or lower the angle of the tusks, like in the concept art?

Like I said, it's probably a weird remark, but I just want to prevent that people see the Skaarj and ask themselves "but how do Skaarj eat?" Because I know for certain that there are people who notice those details and make a huge point of it.

Because after all, Skaarj too, must eat.
                          Last edited by Joen; 05-25-2014, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neorej View Post
                            Looks very cool! However, the design makes me ask an, at the first glance, stupid question, but it's something that has the potential to linger with a lot of people: the tusks seems now to be pointing inward (the camera angle might give the wrong impression about the direction of the tusks, though), making it look as if the Skaarj will have a lot of difficulty eating, since the tusks now seem to be in the way of its mouth and his hands are probably too big to put them between those tusks. Maybe make the tusks longer so the distance from the mouth increases more, or lower the angle of the tusks, like in the concept art?

Like I said, it's probably a weird remark, but I just want to prevent that people see the Skaarj and ask themselves "but how do Skaarj eat?" Because I know for certain that there are people who notice those details and make a huge point of it.

Because after all, Skaarj too, must eat.
                            It's not weird at all, and I was thinking the same thing. Those tusks would really be in the way if that Skaarj would like to eat something. Either widening the gap on the ends, changing the angle or making them smaller should make it a bit more believable. I guess those UT3 models have it right for the most part. Overall I still think what you do here is magic, and love it

Comment

@ Chris - Thank you! Means a lot. I have a good chunk of free time thankfully to forge ahead and this is a great opportunity to learn UE4 backwards to front.

@ Throttlekitty - Thanks for the note - I will see what bulking up those ridges does to the form. I think it would be fun to have lots of variants so looking forward to finding a good base-skaarj to build off of.

@Neorej - Roman0 - There's no stupid questions - if you are seeing something then I feel that either needs to be addressed or presented better as an idea. I interpreted the concept as having the tusks in front of the face - they do stand off a bit but I can see them being twisted and turned in many ways for better mouth access. The way I envision it is the Skaarj gore and tear apart their prey then just sort of buffet out on it in pieces - a very messy affair. Even still I thought that Skaarj up-bringing would be very competitive. Considering natural selection those with the genes for tusks guarding their portion of the kill would win out over time. Point being you can make anything "believable" if you tell a story and redefine what eating is to the Skaarj. Survival of the fittest and Savagery which is Skaarj! But yes, they could stand to be tweaked - I'll try to address it after I have a go at the armor. Thanks!

@Tidal Blast - Thanks!

Comment

Matt that's looking sweet man!
                                Also well done community, top feedback and reference images to boot....good stuff.

I saw this concept last week and knew that I had to have a go at sketching him out too....way too cool not to.

I found some time today and this is where I'm at now:

Silly res available here : big Skaarj

Hopefully I will get the time to continue him over the week, but probably not till next weekend, but its been fun
                                Attached Files
                                folio

Comment

Working...
                                X