X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
    I think I'd prefer if we and Epic stopped trying to make the Skaarj at all. At least as player characters. Skaarj have been better off as an NPC-only race in the Unreal series than they were as a minor team in UT2k4. They deserve to be bulky and huge and physically superior to humans, but that just doesn't work for competitively consistent player models. Also, as many have shown, the Skaarj are also iconic in a way that makes it difficult to remake them to everyone's satisfaction. So my advice would be, don't. (And all due apologies for saying this only after you've already worked very hard on this topic.)

Instead, focus on remaking characters where there aren't such expectations.
    Hellions, raw steel, venom, iron guard, these are similarly niche concepts as relates to UT, and since they're human they're guaranteed to fit with the cosmetics system.

Oh I did forget to mention that there's no way anyone's going to fit a hat over those dreads and tusks.
    But I want to be a skaarj. Also there could technically be hats/helmets that don't work for certain races.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think I'd prefer if we and Epic stopped trying to make the Skaarj at all. At least as player characters. Skaarj have been better off as an NPC-only race in the Unreal series than they were as a minor team in UT2k4. They deserve to be bulky and huge and physically superior to humans, but that just doesn't work for competitively consistent player models. Also, as many have shown, the Skaarj are also iconic in a way that makes it difficult to remake them to everyone's satisfaction. So my advice would be, don't. (And all due apologies for saying this only after you've already worked very hard on this topic.)

Instead, focus on remaking characters where there aren't such expectations.
    Hellions, raw steel, venom, iron guard, these are similarly niche concepts as relates to UT, and since they're human they're guaranteed to fit with the cosmetics system.

Oh I did forget to mention that there's no way anyone's going to fit a hat over those dreads and tusks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wail View Post
    It's in the latest build, just search in the editor for "Skaarji."
    Ah... ok ...my rig right now isn't really able to run the latest build. I wait for a more "optimized" version

That would be fine with me. It's arguably not in line with the goal of making UT a competitive eSports arena shooter to have different visual or hitbox profiles. Then again, we have hats.
    Quake Live solved this by enabling forced-skins for pure competitive matches.
    Clan server use this feature very often.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    "Current" ? ...from where did you get it?
    This Skaarj looks like a human-skaarj mix. I can imagine this model for the Skaarj hybrids.
    But...
    A much too thin face ...Human armour ...Hairline? ...overall too human to be a Skaarj.
    I know Epic tries to reinvent the wheel somehow but some inventions doesn't look cool but uninspired... just for the sake of the almighty hit-box.
    It's in the latest build, just search in the editor for "Skaarji."

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    Offtopic:
    Why not create hit-boxes for more than one model type? ...default-Humanoid, Juggernaut, Skaarj, Robot... we would get a tiny little bit more diversity.
    That would be fine with me. It's arguably not in line with the goal of making UT a competitive eSports arena shooter to have different visual or hitbox profiles. Then again, we have hats.
    Last edited by Wail; 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anyway, here is the current Skaarj model. I wanted to do a paintover of this to make it more Skaarj-like:
    "Current" ? ...from where did you get it?
    This Skaarj looks like a human-skaarj mix. I can imagine this model for the Skaarj hybrids.
    But...
    A much too thin face ...Human armour ...Hairline? ...overall too human to be a Skaarj.
    I know Epic tries to reinvent the wheel somehow but some inventions doesn't look cool but uninspired... just for the sake of the almighty hit-box.

Offtopic:
    Why not create hit-boxes for more than one model type? ...default-Humanoid, Juggernaut, Skaarj, Robot... we would get a tiny little bit more diversity.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The armor appears understyled - like human toolbox
    style and no idea xeno playful or even artful at all!
    Last edited by Kaal979; 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    skaarj

fixes on way
    Last edited by WozzMech; 08-20-2015, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JollyAmerican View Post
    lol i know its sloppy but does anyone think the skaarj should have a similar hitbox to humans since this UT might get a little more competitive.I thought it would be a good idea to strap his tail to the side and sort of have the same body features as humans so they can be the same size and possibly share hats and other custom cosmetics
    I think it looks awkward with the tail like that, and I would not like it to be completely removed or shortened. Just keep the tail as it should be, I doubt anyone would actually try to hit the tail anyway.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JollyAmerican View Post
    lol i know its sloppy but does anyone think the skaarj should have a similar hitbox to humans since this UT might get a little more competitive.I thought it would be a good idea to strap his tail to the side and sort of have the same body features as humans so they can be the same size and possibly share hats and other custom cosmetics
    To be honest, I'd rather they be unique and maybe even mechanically different if they're to be done at all. If it's not 'competitive' then competitive players can choose to not use them. Why bother having a concept if you're going to water it down until it's indistinguishable from anything else?

Anyway, here is the current Skaarj model. I wanted to do a paintover of this to make it more Skaarj-like:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Also, providing some criticism of the overall forms. Red = High importance. Yellow = Moderate Importance.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Wail; 08-01-2015, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've never really liked the Skaarj pug nose, or the wrinkle mouth. To me if you found some middle ground between the two it would be pretty awesome. The first was badass, but too different.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You are definitely going some where with this design!

The only comments i have is the top portion of his head seems weird to me, i actually liked your scaly take on his head on version 2, and the horns are a bit low. Other than that he looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Prodigy613: I agree. After posting him, something about him started to look "demonic" more Diablo esque - What i was going for on version 2, was something scary with some iconic parts from the Skaarj. Was going to see if i could achieve a look that if it had some future tech helmets and the thing came off, you would get a similar scary feel from him as you would when watching the first predator movie after he took his helmet off. Appreciate your thoughts man keep them coming!

With that said, I had another go at exploring another shape with this round. Wanted to bring back that muzzle shape that existed in the ut2k4 version of the Skaarj and try to incorporate more human like qualities to see if it adds to anything. This time around I tried to stay away from doing any quick sharp details in order stay in the bigger shape phase a bit longer. Personally not a fan of the muzzle look mainly because our game and art culture is saturated with Orcs and can sometimes get real close to it if not careful. I would really love to go towards a more organic lizard type design in the next round.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So just wondering, is skaarj gonna be added to the new UT?
    i love skaarj <3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really dig the shape of version 2 but the face isn't cutting it for me. He looks awesome, but Skaarj are also known as a cunning and intelligent species, if anything this design suggests otherwise as he looks like a brute imo. I really like your sculpt but i think a compromise in his facial features needs to be made for him to look like a sophisticated, yet menacing or intimidating being.

Don't feel down about it, it's just not my cup of tea per say, and variety is always good for the community. I know for a fact quite a few people will like this look more than what i prefer.
    Last edited by Prodigy613; 07-12-2015, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X