This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hey everyone! Some amazing stuff on here! I have been lurking on the forums for a few months on and off (Huge fan), and the Skaarj sounded like an amazing opportunity to have some fun! Finally got some free time off of freelance and am now looking to contribute to the fun! So I started out today by blocking out look of the skaarj based on the original concept posted by Chris of the old school Skaarj concept to get a feel of the character first, and then I went off on my own. A lot of the original Skaarj looks, designs, feels and the overall character to me felt very Predator inspired. The skaarj to me came off as Tribal space aliens, very much like Predator, and UT was there arena. Anyhow here is what I've gotten so far for the day. About 3-5hours worth of work between the first Version and the 2nd version. Tried to stay very loose, and kept limbs as seperate pieces to keep messing with pose and proportions quickly. Spent a little more time on the second versions head to really explore some shapes, designs, silhouette style, etc...

Version One

Version Two

Version Two - Close up

Really interested in everyone's Thoughts! So excited to keep working on some explorations.

-WGallo
    Attached Files
    Last edited by xerious3d; 07-12-2015, 12:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Trev View Post
    I would like to see at least one skaarj be reminiscent of the original. I like the U2 image I'm seeing but I also find a lot of similarity in Brick for Borderlands.
    To be honest, I'm seeing scant resemblance. That Skaarj is far more balanced.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like to see at least one skaarj be reminiscent of the original. I like the U2 image I'm seeing but I also find a lot of similarity in Brick for Borderlands. Key features being tall, good posture, exaggerated upper body with a slender waist.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	kI2wZ.png
Views:	1
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	338505

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EvilGrins View Post
    I love the U2 design, but one of the chief complaints I heard in forums about it was it looked like a Skaarj/Gorilla hybrid.
    Which is why the concept Shletten posted is perfect. The final Skaarj in Unreal 2 were gorilla-like, but that Unreal 2 Skaarj concept does an exquisite job of fleshing out the Unreal 1 warrior-class Skaarj. It retains the insectoid features, which makes it unique from every other Skaarj rehash we've ever seen. It's also proud and upright like the original Skaarj, as opposed to the lumbering, hunched over designs a lot of people have posted.

Man, if someone made a UT4 Skaarj true to that U2 concept all my wishes would come true and I'd never play as anything else.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Gooba View Post
    Trying to figure out what a Necris Skaarj could look like...

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Gosh this is beautiful!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't recall the Unreal1 Skaarj roaring much, ut2004 roared not very much in game, but the ones I'm most used to it from are the U2 Skaarj:

Though they roared when they saw you, before they attacked, after they killed you, and if they stubbed their toe.

Can have raptors too, but no ditching the Skaarj! Get rid of the human players; very overrated species.
    Last edited by EvilGrins; 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM. Reason: roaring

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
    It'd probably be more fun to not have the Skaarj at all.

Instead have velociraptor-headed nightmares. Because everyone loves velociraptors.
    Now you're talking!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unrelated, some years ago I had a few of these made, oak, medium heavy char, for a hobby of mine. ;-0
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I think of Skaarj, this is what I think of, Fartuess posted this image already but it's sooooo Skaarj. And of course, after a good kill, he has to shake the dreads and Roar.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by The Demon Slick; 06-13-2015, 10:54 PM. Reason: (credit fartuess for already posted the same image on previous page)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
    **** it, you made me imagine this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17156[/ATTACH]
    thesse are so kawaiii!!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by justinhubbell View Post
    Basically they just need hulking monsters to shoot - they're calling them "Skaarj" and the resemblance will likely begin and end there as usual.
    It'd probably be more fun to not have the Skaarj at all.

Instead have velociraptor-headed nightmares. Because everyone loves velociraptors.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [P]etya View Post
    The game refers them as skaarj, but they are hybrids. The developers made a mistake I guess, because they aren't pure skaarj. Just compare them to the original skaarj and the hybrids in UT99. They look more similar to the hybrids.
    As paper can tell folks, I'm obsessed with Skaarj. so when I got ut2k4 I downloaded every Skaarj model pack I could find. That said, there's normal Skaarj, there's Skaarj Hybrids, and there's even Female Skaarj... yeah, really.

I'll post pics of the lot later, or just the females, if anyone cares.
    Originally posted by _Lynx View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17156[/ATTACH]
    D'awwwwwwww!~ So cute!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EvilGrins View Post
    justinhubbell: I see you've seen my Sktroopers skin download. So you know, that thing on their heads is a helmet, not an indication of a lengthier skull.

A lot of people who are familiar with ut99 these days only started in it after MonsterHunt was created, so the Skaarj running around in that, which are actually from Unreal1, they associate with ut99.
    I'm a die hard Unreal 1 fan/player so I know the difference
    But tackling a redesign from a creative standpoint you might infer that the trooper helmet design could have been modeled after the cranial lobe of their masters as an indicator of rank.

Obviously not canon but I stand on two sides of the fence here.

One being - if you're going to have Skaarj in a game why redesign them such that they don't look like Skaarj at all? If you're going to do that then why not just call them by another name?
    (I mean they had Krall in UT3 but I hardly recognized them. Might as well have been called "Grol" or something.)

But my other stance is - you can't redesign anything if you don't use your imagination.

• • •

Basically they just need hulking monsters to shoot - they're calling them "Skaarj" and the resemblance will likely begin and end there as usual.
    Last edited by justinhubbell; 06-12-2015, 04:20 PM. Reason: typos!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    I hope I can get rid of those huge eyes of my design attempt. it looks just too cute.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5027a0435c7637d4d3cafd3489b80926.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	338396
    Last edited by _Lynx; 06-12-2015, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [P]etya View Post
    The game refers them as skaarj, but they are hybrids. The developers made a mistake I guess, because they aren't pure skaarj. Just compare them to the original skaarj and the hybrids in UT99. They look more similar to the hybrids.
    That's because they had them to fit into the hitbox ...which was the same for all characters in UT2k4.
    Even now do we have to keep this in mind, if we want a playable Skaarj model.

Ok ...I have time again and try to work out some new concept for the Skaarj with all the last designs in this thread as inspiration. I hope I can get rid of those huge eyes of my design attempt. it looks just too cute.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X