This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quotidian View Post
    blackcrack, your posts give me headaches ;\ And it's gotten to the point where I really don't want to read the gibberish you're clogging up every thread with. Please stop with the +1s, the "g"s (still have no idea what that means), the broken English and the incoherent ramblings (for example "if we become a better Skaarj btw... you make an better Skaarj, make you the Day/Decade) As far as I'm concerned, you're the least helpful poster on these forums at the moment.
    I have to agree ...sorry Blackcrack.

Blackcrack wenn du schreibst "if we become a better Skaarj..." heißt das "falls wir bessere Skaarj werden..."
    to become = werden
    to get = bekommen
    Bitte arbeite an deinem Englisch ...Du verwirrst die Leute mehr als das du hilfst.
    Und sie bekommen nur mit, daß du nicht Ihrer Meinung bist.
    Selbst Ich habe Probleme dich zu verstehen.

Ok ...now back to the topic.

@Quotidian
    I like your idea ...it's pretty close to mine.
    But you should add a little bit more alien-look to the face.
    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

more alien look and the tusks, should point more upwards .. more chopping .. for able to ripping off backward with the head .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarjsketch01-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	740.3 KB
ID:	338017 and with higher tusks Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarjsketch01-2.png
Size:	740.7 KB
ID:	338018 + more alien

humm.. the horn scales .. what's looks better ?

Name:	Skaarjsketch01-3.png
Size:	739.9 KB
ID:	338019 or more higher Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarjsketch01-4.png
Size:	741.0 KB
ID:	338020 + more alien

we must not forget the "rasta's" behind, where give later the balance of the head's look ..
      also important in my opinion ..

and : Click image for larger version

Name:	vip-unreal-web-256-small-154of393-1.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	338022 maybe something in this direction .. Click image for larger version

Name:	vip-unreal-web-256-small-168of393.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	338024

Name:	Skaarjsketch01-5.png
Size:	752.8 KB
ID:	338023 or more upward rifled .. behind the eyebrows ..
      and more horns plates but maybe more grown into/inside ..

The eyes can be an bit bigger able to .. be ... more alien ? or how i can call it .. Skaarj's normally live in Caves, or dark Jungle
      and this it is, why have they are an bit bigger eyes as normal .. and maybe also glowing,
      some effect like you shine with an light on the eyes from Salty's , Crocodiles, but bigger eyes, cave inhabitant .. alien like ..
      more scary .. more creepy .. if you go into an Cave ad you see some eyes in the dark .. and maybe a deep rumbling (ruuohhhrr) .. and you see 2 glowing eyes .. it is to late.. , because he jump out from his hide and attach you .. some Eyes maybe.. ( i hope it was understandable )
      .. hahh , found ! this fits in my opinion ..

if become light into the eyes .. because in the dark be the pupillary in the eyes more wider ..

humm, an bit playing around.. it is looks an skaarj

Name:	skaarj-eyes.png
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	338025

and if you see the white in the eyes !
      you're die !

best regards
      Blacky
      Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-15-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

it is hard to decipher what Blackcrack is saying sometimes I have to admit. Maybe shorter posts would help. But he does seem to have a lot of time and passion for the game. UT is played around the world lets stay cool everyone. Lets embrace every person who takes an interest in the game. Blackcrack, relax and let the devs and talented community members with the skills to contribute to the game take care of it. Get off the forums for five minutes and enjoy playing the pre-alpha for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by GnrlSpecific View Post
          it is hard to decipher what Blackcrack is saying sometimes I have to admit. Maybe shorter posts would help. But he does seem to have a lot of time and passion for the game. UT is played around the world lets stay cool everyone. Lets embrace every person who takes an interest in the game. Blackcrack, relax and let the devs and talented community members with the skills to contribute to the game take care of it. Get off the forums for five minutes and enjoy playing the pre-alpha for a while.
          offtopic & Mobbing / bullying ! -> reported
          Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-15-2015, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcrack View Post
            offtopic & Mobbing / bullying ! -> reported
            Dude ...Did you even understand what he/she wrote????
            It was the exact opposite of mobbing or bulling... gosh!
            You are not going to win yourself friends by keeping this attitude.
            Last edited by papercoffee; 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM.
            ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Dude, can we stay on topic ??

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
              Dude ...Did you even understand what he/she wrote????
              It was the exact opposite of mobbing or bulling... gosh!
              You are not going to win yourself friends by keeping this attitude.
              Papercoffee, i like you, but, do you not known PM function ?

you're offtopic ! -> report !

back to the topic ..

i have made picture, interesting or not ?
              Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                its way too cute ;D
                The skaarj needs a lot of redesigning to look ntimidating

Comment

Originally posted by slocik View Post
                  its way too cute ;D
                  The skaarj needs a lot of redesigning to look ntimidating
                  You are totally right ...I was focusing on the jaw system more.

Comment

Hi slocik,

i have make some changes on the Skaarj
                    and i think it's maybe not bad

Name:	Skaarjsketch01-5.png
Size:	752.8 KB
ID:	338023

and the eyes more bigger .. alienlike ..

by the way, you have made very cool aliens nice
                    slocik, you mus thinking an skaarj like an Dragon Humanoide in the dark placed living liveform,
                    so eyes for dark places, an boddy like an lizard and tusks and teeth like an dragon/lizard ..
                    if you can maybe an try to make an Head for it ?

best regards
                    Blacky
                    Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-17-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

personally I think we should simply disregard all the legacy stuff regarding the skaarj and embrace the fact that the new UT is in a lot of ways a reboot of the franchise. Simply speaking the unreal 1 skaarj model is too basic to gleam anything useful from or base a design on. You can't say "make it like unreal 1" because there's virtually nothing there to "make it like." On top of that, what you actually can get from the unreal 1 skaarj is that it's basically a very uninteresting predator rip off. And developers like Legend and Epic have tried to redo the skaarj a couple times and have never really gotten it "right." I think that it was because they were trying too hard to polish a ****, so to speak I remember seeing a leaked skaarj model that I think James Green did that looked really cool at the time, but from what I remember it really deviated from what the previous skaarj looked like. Like, insisting that the skaarj should have that stupid looking unibrow, like in Blackcrack's paintovers above here... that's just silly. I don't even think the skaarj should have a tail, because it doesn't make sense for a bipedal character in terms of balance and animation.

What made the skaarj cool was its introduction, the noises it made, the lights going out in that corridor and it jumping around. It basically could've looked like anything at that point and it would've been cool.

So to sum it up, if I was to design a skaarj, I'd go for its essence, not for "dragon humanoid" whatever. I even remember someone on the Nali City forums arguing that the skaarj weren't reptilian but closer to spiders. The skaarj can be whatever we want them to be at this point. I mean, most of the cool stuff regarding the skaarj is in our heads and imaginations, because unreal 1 was so low fidelity that we had to fill in a lot of stuff ourselves.

Anyway, just having fun with some colors, to think a bit outside the box

Last edited by Quotidian; 05-17-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Hi Quotidian,

disregard all the legacy stuff from the whole animals ? Also the Skaarj ?
                        This was try in Unreal2, this was try in UnrealTournament2003/4
                        and? The Old Community don't change and stayed on U1 and UT99 .
                        Did you think not, it is an reason why has the whole Unreal1 and Unreal Monsterhunt stuff has works ?
                        This is the reason why i try to bring you are on this way, to make an Real Skaarj like it on Unreal1/UT99 it was.
                        Because, this has works fully over the whole Years .. Only, because you maybe not have not play Unreal1 or something,
                        or only UT, want be an real fail, if we now, there on the possible to make it alive, in Photo realistic,
                        all change because you think "commoon, this is all old ****" But, this old "****" has work over the whole years and hold the Community in U1 and UT99MH together ..
                        And even this "old ****" has works over the whole Years and we need exactly this Skaarj back for the next 20 Years.

And by the way not too heavy coloured .. this lizard look's maybe not bad, but it's easy toooooo heavy for an Skaarj *smile*
                        and make it dark green .. it's better, should be not an signal colour, more an hiding colour .
                        An Skaarj it is an Actor where comes out of the Dark and make, therefore this an creepy feeling, because we can not know if there an Skaarj or an brute ..
                        because both should also not over coloured .. because, who needs colours in Caves, who needs colours in the dark and sinister gloomy part of an Forest where be hunting..
                        where it is all green ..

This lizard in your picture at bottom it is in Wedding mood for become an female and not on hunting, because, it's an plant eater !
                        and because it is a herbivore, don't need to hiding and don't need to hunting.. and don't need hiding colours
                        so a total different breed . No chance to compare with it *grin*

Skaarj is a hunter, Skaarj is a meat eater and need an hiding colour , an dark green.. maybe with more dark green stripes or dark green colour with light green stripes .
                        like in this green who you have take Quotidian Easy an Hiding Colors and dark colors ..

and by the way, can you maybe make the tusks more like an ice chopping or hack and maybe
                        make more looking on top, like i have change the picture ? And like papercoffee
                        and me says, make the Eyes more Click image for larger version

And really, we should more stay on the Original Skaajr ..
                        otherwise become we an totally other Actor .. and not an Skaarj.. like in UT3 ..
                        the same its with the Krall, we need stay on the Original or we become an Mixed something.. like in UT3 ..

Quotidian can you make for me an -front- Picture of your Skaarj ? I want set in other eyes on it, easy to see how it looks.
                        (if works, with out the whole colours ?)

best regards
                        Blacky
                        Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-18-2015, 01:37 AM.

Comment

i think what alot of the people clinging to ut99 are forgetting that pretty much every character had a similar model, only the skins varied somewhat, if i recal there were maybe 4-5 models, including females,

it's now possible to further expand on that art direction, when then it wasnt ,
                          don;t ***** about what you think should be done so much blackcrack, all ive witnessed from your posts are a constant shutdown of any sort of progress, this isnt your unreal tournament alone,
                          how you've imagined it and held it dear isnt necessarily how others have
                          i think if you want to be so critical, you put something material forward instead of critique

Comment

Originally posted by ValisInUnderland View Post
                            i think what alot of the people clinging to ut99 are forgetting that pretty much every character had a similar model, only the skins varied somewhat, if i recal there were maybe 4-5 models, including females,
                            The Skaarj have always had unique models.

Comment

@Quotidian
                              Maybe not disregarding ALL the legacy stuff ...but less clinging to it would be healthier for a progress.
                              I like your idea about colours for the skin. But that actual face coloring looks not really intimidating.

I'll rework my concept a little bit more ...but I still like my jaw mechanism.

Originally posted by Quotidian
                              I remember seeing a leaked skaarj model that I think James Green did that looked really cool at the time
                              Can you describe it?
                              Maybe I can find it. I know someone who is a Skaarj fan (fanatic).

Comment

Originally posted by ValisInUnderland View Post

it's now possible to further expand on that art direction, when then it wasnt ,
                                don;t ***** about what you think should be done so much blackcrack, all ive witnessed from your posts are a constant shutdown of any sort of progress, this isnt your unreal tournament alone,
                                how you've imagined it and held it dear isnt necessarily how others have
                                i think if you want to be so critical, you put something material forward instead of critique
                                Hi ValisInUnderland,

you see it wrong, we had U2, 2004 and also Ut3 , all has become an of any sort of progress, but what was,
                                an every more distancing of the original and primary, and was every more distanciation on the Original.
                                And this is it, why we should take at first the Original, from Unreal1 for setting up an Original again, then
                                can we change the Character, this is why i am ever and ever pray to make the original, or have you seen
                                in the last Years the original Skaarj from Unreal1 on the u2,2003/4 and Ut3 ?
                                I not, only some Pictures from Krall's where was very well, but they was rejected, but they was very well !
                                Instead of this became some made unfamiliar Krall for Ut3 .

This is why i want to become an Original Skaarj as the first Skaarj in Photorealism . I hope you see now, why.

and by the way, i have changing some of Pictures for see, and demonstrate, how can it be better, if you have this noticed.
                                and i am not an 3D Artworker, i can only at moment working with gimp . I have not enough time for learning 3D Art.

best regards
                                Blacky
                                Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-19-2015, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X