This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e1vp View Post
    I'm all for this model - best concept out here (like most concepts by Gooba - Man, big respect!)
    The thing is that it looks a human-skaarj hybrid to me. I would go for something more menacing and reminescent of the original.
    Well to be honest, I simply want to see an improved version of the original design. So I kinda like what Omniety Omega has done and the older Unreal 2 concept art.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bH8lbO8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	338325

Comment

Originally posted by Shletten View Post
      So I kinda like what Omniety Omega has done and the older Unreal 2 concept art.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16970[/ATTACH]
      I love the U2 design, but one of the chief complaints I heard in forums about it was it looked like a Skaarj/Gorilla hybrid.
      Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Yeah, but they have a point though. I think the best skaarj designs are the UT99 and the UT2004 ones.

Comment

Originally posted by [P]etya View Post
          Also remember that the skaarj in UT99 and in UT2004 isn't pure skaarj, but skaarj-human hybrids, just saying, because many comments gave me the impression of that they think that the UT99 and UT2004 skaarj characters are pure skaarj. In Invasion the players fought against pure skaarjs, who also have a queen, but in the tournaments the players fought against hybrids.
          UT has hybrids. UT2004 has pure Skaarj.
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Seriously quick sketch but as I read over submissions on this forum post the words "pure skaarj" stuck out in my mind. Which raised a question - what if in the original Unreal you never actually see a pure Skaarj?
            After all we know that they tamper with genetics for military purposes - so a "pure skaarj" could in fact be something we've never seen before.

Two ideas came to mind - the first was revolved around slave owners. The Skaarj are a race of slave owners, right? So it might be that the ruling class (or caste) of Skaarj are thin and aristocratic, or perhaps even engorged and slow moving. Might be an interesting concept to explore if - say - the Liandri corporation finally got their hands on actual Skaarj slave owners and threw them to the gladiator pits to watch them be torn to pieces. And if we're going in that direction - how cool would it be to see some badass rebel Nalis in the mix?

The other idea was (and the one I explored) was if we're talking about "pure Skaarj" maybe we're referring to a primitive species that the Skaarj evolved from. Much as I like saurian monsters I have never felt menaced by any of the Skaarj designs following the original game - so I went with a more aquatic look. When I think of scary predators my mind leaps to things like the Dunkleosteus or Great White Shark.

I think evolving from something aquatic and slowly becoming bipedal would explain a lot of what we know of the Skaarj - but that's just me
            Attached Files

Comment

I think based on the latest commits to github, we could see the skaarj model in the next build. Would love to see some WIPs

Comment

So I revisited the concept of "pure Skaarj" being the social/economic elite of their society (the slave owners) and was initially going to give them more human characteristics when I remembered the Skaarj pupae and in particular the Skaarj Queen. They're practically insects! I think the combination of insect-like and reptilian features is super cool.

It would make sense that in a matriarchal slave-owning society that A) their military/enforcement would be these souped upped genetic monstrosities bred to be incredibly aggressive and physically dominating and B) that the ruling class would actually be less masculine, place less value on brute strength, and have stronger resemblance (less genetic experimentation) to their queen.
                Attached Files

Comment

justinhubbell: I see you've seen my Sktroopers skin download. So you know, that thing on their heads is a helmet, not an indication of a lengthier skull.
                  Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                  A lot of people who are familiar with ut99 these days only started in it after MonsterHunt was created, so the Skaarj running around in that, which are actually from Unreal1, they associate with ut99.
                  Last edited by EvilGrins; 06-10-2015, 03:44 PM. Reason: skaarj hat fashions

Comment

The game refers them as skaarj, but they are hybrids. The developers made a mistake I guess, because they aren't pure skaarj. Just compare them to the original skaarj and the hybrids in UT99. They look more similar to the hybrids.

Comment

If the game refers to them as Skaarj, they are Skaarj. Simple as that. Also, check the team descriptions. There is no mistake.
                      Last edited by _Lynx; 06-12-2015, 12:14 PM.
                      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

The game refers them as skaarj, but they are hybrids. The developers made a mistake I guess, because they aren't pure skaarj. Just compare them to the original skaarj and the hybrids in UT99. They look more similar to the hybrids.
                        That's because they had them to fit into the hitbox ...which was the same for all characters in UT2k4.
                        Even now do we have to keep this in mind, if we want a playable Skaarj model.

Ok ...I have time again and try to work out some new concept for the Skaarj with all the last designs in this thread as inspiration. I hope I can get rid of those huge eyes of my design attempt. it looks just too cute.
                        ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                          I hope I can get rid of those huge eyes of my design attempt. it looks just too cute.
                          **** it, you made me imagine this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5027a0435c7637d4d3cafd3489b80926.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	338396
                          Last edited by _Lynx; 06-12-2015, 03:28 PM.
                          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by EvilGrins View Post
                            justinhubbell: I see you've seen my Sktroopers skin download. So you know, that thing on their heads is a helmet, not an indication of a lengthier skull.

A lot of people who are familiar with ut99 these days only started in it after MonsterHunt was created, so the Skaarj running around in that, which are actually from Unreal1, they associate with ut99.
                            I'm a die hard Unreal 1 fan/player so I know the difference
                            But tackling a redesign from a creative standpoint you might infer that the trooper helmet design could have been modeled after the cranial lobe of their masters as an indicator of rank.

Obviously not canon but I stand on two sides of the fence here.

One being - if you're going to have Skaarj in a game why redesign them such that they don't look like Skaarj at all? If you're going to do that then why not just call them by another name?
                            (I mean they had Krall in UT3 but I hardly recognized them. Might as well have been called "Grol" or something.)

But my other stance is - you can't redesign anything if you don't use your imagination.

• • •

Basically they just need hulking monsters to shoot - they're calling them "Skaarj" and the resemblance will likely begin and end there as usual.
                            Last edited by justinhubbell; 06-12-2015, 04:20 PM. Reason: typos!

Comment

As paper can tell folks, I'm obsessed with Skaarj. so when I got ut2k4 I downloaded every Skaarj model pack I could find. That said, there's normal Skaarj, there's Skaarj Hybrids, and there's even Female Skaarj... yeah, really.

I'll post pics of the lot later, or just the females, if anyone cares.
                              **** it, you made me imagine this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17156[/ATTACH]
                              D'awwwwwwww!~ So cute!

Comment

Originally posted by justinhubbell View Post
                                Basically they just need hulking monsters to shoot - they're calling them "Skaarj" and the resemblance will likely begin and end there as usual.
                                It'd probably be more fun to not have the Skaarj at all.

Instead have velociraptor-headed nightmares. Because everyone loves velociraptors.

Comment

Working...
                                X