This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Did Epic ever finalize a concept for the Skaarj? I know there were some drawings of the head in the promo vidoes they did for GDC (I think), but haven't seen anything since.

Anyway, was doodling a bit in zbrush and I realized I really, really dislike the "dreads" or tendrils or whatever the heck the things coming off the old skaarj's head are supposed to be. I think slightly referencing them by putting some details along the scalp looks nicer

Last edited by Quotidian; 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    Nope ...I like the jaw like it is. Why do you want the tusks always in the jaw muscles?

My thoughts are that the tusks are moveable and can get out of the way if the Skaarj eats his prey. But also can he grab chunks of meat with them and rip it out of a bigger animal or opponent

@ValisInUnderland
    Nah ...Not to offend someone, but this design looks too much like someone crossed an elephant with a goblin. There is nothing alien to it, just weirdness and to much earthly influence.
    I would expect this design in a WOW addon but not in UT.
    Yeah I like the your original design better because their head is in a shape of a skull that way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nope ...I like the jaw like it is. Why do you want the tusks always in the jaw muscles?

My thoughts are that the tusks are moveable and can get out of the way if the Skaarj eats his prey. But also can he grab chunks of meat with them and rip it out of a bigger animal or opponent

@ValisInUnderland
    Nah ...Not to offend someone, but this design looks too much like someone crossed an elephant with a goblin. There is nothing alien to it, just weirdness and to much earthly influence.
    I would expect this design in a WOW addon but not in UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Papercoffee

*grin* you can not become something alive, if you try it to say *grin*
    "menno jetzt lebe endlich *g*/commooooon, just be now alive" ****' Skaar*lol*

the jaw more wider .. more rounder infront .. like an rattlesnake or an Lizard, because,
    should look like grown/evolved .. moment.. i let you show it..

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment1.png
Views:	1
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	337942 and then in this direction Click image for larger version

Name:	bone02d-1_Skaarj.png
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	337943 Click image for larger version

Name:	bone02d-2_Skaarj.png
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	337955

but you can better drawing ..

you see what i meant, all what it is grow, it's round .. the jaw it's may an bit angular, edgy,
    if you make it more round and if you orients you in a saurian, dragon
    fits more maybe then the back bone more stable for an fang backward who look's in front.. maybe more side-front and directly front, do you see by self, to be more fits .. Can you make again an drawing ?
    maybe with an more round fangs/teeth .. look's so far really well

but your approach on the Jaw it is angular , make everything more rounded , and it becomes
    )))

Raidakk we want create an Original Unreal one and not an UT2003/4 one.. mus be Authentic to
    Unreal1 ( Take a look : Unreal Beta We need to setting up at all to have an Photo-realistic Original from the First one.. and not something other )
    Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-12-2015, 05:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...tid=6288&stc=1
    is by far the best yet,
    keep in mind there are hybrids as well which would give you the best of both worlds forwhat you want to do
    i always saw the Skaarj as aztec like , much like the lizards from warhammer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Soooo ...tried something.

This is, how I imagine the tusks could work.

hehehe...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Better of using UT2004 or UT99 designs imo. This one just looks weird. It looks like Hulk had a son...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    Or, just say F&$@ it and make it look cool. I'm with that.
    *thumps up*

because should look not like an chicken, more as an monster.. and for have scare .. and an cuteness make's in direction,
    angry chicken, but we are not on the N.. *lol* (angry birds *lol*)
    other parts, should not look like in an comic .. maybe more in direction of Dragon, Dino/lizard, because,
    normally was in the Real Unreal(alfa) dragons planned ..

"On my way!"
    nice can you make an couple of Picture, to talk about ?

(unfortunately have i easy not enough time for to take me seriously in on Unreal because private things
    otherwise I would have started long ago, but everything is with me in limbo :\
    *it annoys me self* this is why i say it again.. i can not make half things everywhere, this would be wrong ..)

best regards
    Blacky
    Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-09-2015, 01:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    "On my way!"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you want a Skaarj or a Krall?

See? Two fangs and the tusks ...and the tusks are not that far back in the jaw like you mentioned in your edited picture.
    It would be implausible to put tusks where the muscles for the jaw should be.

And...
    Lizards DO have lips!!
    https://www.google.de/search?q=echse...Q&ved=0CAUQ_AU
    "Most" of the lizards nowadays are walking flat on all four feet
    If you want a better example for a lizard like creature in an erected position, take Dinosaurs...

http://www.kids-dinosaurs.com/images...chiosaurus.jpg
    Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds (depending on the biologist you ask, birds ARE dinosaurs, as there is little in defining characteristics to draw the line between them), in fact dinosaurs are as closely related to reptiles as mammals are. The 'hips' of a 'hominid reptile' would be closer to that of a chameleon, as it is an arboreal, legged reptile with flexible, articulated hip joints. As we humans evolved from arboreal mammals, our hips retain the forward-facing, highly articulated nature of our arboreal ancestors.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Papercoffee

you gave the best example, :

where be the tusks ..if i see right, then by side.. and between tooth and jawbone fits at bests ..
    also to looks like an beast/monster .. if you want have in front.. look's like an Vamp in reverse type ..
    reinforced eyeteeth ..

let it more look like a monsters where you see, what you let pierce and
    the teeth should look like something like horror , creepy this is a game

and should be not directly explicable be, the most should be work in the brain..
    what's does in the U1 and UT99MH .. but now have we the possible for make it more real..
    but we should look to be it also in HD vor become an horror feeling an an scare what
    it is obviously also planed in on U1 with the skaarjs and not an Babyface with tusks ..
    Since we are still in agreement ? should not feel like an Cuteness .. should feel like an scary Skaarj where you mangled .
    agreed ?

best regards
    Blacky

p.s.: for an bit history
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cchDgujheg
    and some pictures https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ent-others-%29

and btw. some schreenshoots from return to Napali and the Skaarjs:http://www.blackysgate.de/files/fold...ali-sshoot.zip
    Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you want a Skaarj or a Krall?

See? Two fangs and the tusks ...and the tusks are not that far back in the jaw like you mentioned in your edited picture.
    It would be implausible to put tusks where the muscles for the jaw should be.

And...
    Lizards DO have lips!!
    https://www.google.de/search?q=echse...Q&ved=0CAUQ_AU
    "Most" of the lizards nowadays are walking flat on all four feet
    If you want a better example for a lizard like creature in an erected position, take Dinosaurs...

http://www.kids-dinosaurs.com/images...chiosaurus.jpg
    Last edited by papercoffee; 05-04-2015, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Papercoffee, i have still you tell "it mus have lips" in my thinking .. humm, i have never hear an Skaarj
    talking on Unreal or UT99MH and so on, they are Lizard like liveforms and be not so developed like humans..
    and be still at the stage of grunts .. you don't need lips, if you want make an conversation with grunts because,
    this can all be an think of tongue in your palate the thing over the tongue .. and if be behind the teeth an
    membrane or something.. because the fluids from lizards.. don't need an lips .. imho..

Click image for larger version

Name:	bone01_Skaarj1.png
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	337757 Click image for larger version

Name:	bone01_Skaarj-mandible-underjaw.png
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	337758

if we show the mandible, underjaw , look's this totally different..

i let you're Trooper's but let the Skaarj's with the green Skin, like it was in U1 (please)
    the Babyhead make so .. un-horrorlike , if an helmed on it, okey, but the Green killerskaarj's mus have an lizardlike haed..
    if you look the puppy syndrome / Cuteness want hold outside,
    because the round Head in 2003/2004 , was fully **** .. (sorry, but i am only honest to you) but if an helmed on it,
    okey, why not.. if you see an monster in front, would be an Babyface.. and this is it if we make it rounded.., really ... not good..

and who the hack say, to have some lizards an human skull ? The confused unknown anatomy experts ? *gnhh..*
    therewith take it all the harmony of nature.. or how i can say it.. in any case should be a Lizard an lizard and not an warped human.
    in this Direction it is the Human Scull where you have painted, totally wrong and distorted .. imho.

best regards
    Blacky
    Last edited by Blackcrack; 05-04-2015, 02:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another fast sketch to see how the bone structure can work.
    Skaarj are a selective breeding ...each created intentional for their task.
    For the Weapon wielding Trooper are bigger tusk useless, because they can get into the sight.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That my friend is awesome. WD papercoffee.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X