Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol i know its sloppy but does anyone think the skaarj should have a similar hitbox to humans since this UT might get a little more competitive.I thought it would be a good idea to strap his tail to the side and sort of have the same body features as humans so they can be the same size and possibly share hats and other custom cosmetics
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JollyAmerican View Post
      lol i know its sloppy but does anyone think the skaarj should have a similar hitbox to humans since this UT might get a little more competitive.I thought it would be a good idea to strap his tail to the side and sort of have the same body features as humans so they can be the same size and possibly share hats and other custom cosmetics
      To be honest, I'd rather they be unique and maybe even mechanically different if they're to be done at all. If it's not 'competitive' then competitive players can choose to not use them. Why bother having a concept if you're going to water it down until it's indistinguishable from anything else?

Anyway, here is the current Skaarj model. I wanted to do a paintover of this to make it more Skaarj-like:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Also, providing some criticism of the overall forms. Red = High importance. Yellow = Moderate Importance.

Attached Files
      Last edited by Wail; 08-01-2015, 10:47 PM.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by JollyAmerican View Post
        I think it looks awkward with the tail like that, and I would not like it to be completely removed or shortened. Just keep the tail as it should be, I doubt anyone would actually try to hit the tail anyway.

Comment

skaarj

fixes on way
          Last edited by WozzMech; 08-20-2015, 03:14 AM.

Comment

The armor appears understyled - like human toolbox
            style and no idea xeno playful or even artful at all!
            Last edited by Kaal979; 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM.
            GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
              Anyway, here is the current Skaarj model. I wanted to do a paintover of this to make it more Skaarj-like:
              "Current" ? ...from where did you get it?
              This Skaarj looks like a human-skaarj mix. I can imagine this model for the Skaarj hybrids.
              But...
              A much too thin face ...Human armour ...Hairline? ...overall too human to be a Skaarj.
              I know Epic tries to reinvent the wheel somehow but some inventions doesn't look cool but uninspired... just for the sake of the almighty hit-box.

Offtopic:
              Why not create hit-boxes for more than one model type? ...default-Humanoid, Juggernaut, Skaarj, Robot... we would get a tiny little bit more diversity.
              ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                "Current" ? ...from where did you get it?
                This Skaarj looks like a human-skaarj mix. I can imagine this model for the Skaarj hybrids.
                But...
                A much too thin face ...Human armour ...Hairline? ...overall too human to be a Skaarj.
                I know Epic tries to reinvent the wheel somehow but some inventions doesn't look cool but uninspired... just for the sake of the almighty hit-box.
                It's in the latest build, just search in the editor for "Skaarji."

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                Offtopic:
                Why not create hit-boxes for more than one model type? ...default-Humanoid, Juggernaut, Skaarj, Robot... we would get a tiny little bit more diversity.
                That would be fine with me. It's arguably not in line with the goal of making UT a competitive eSports arena shooter to have different visual or hitbox profiles. Then again, we have hats.
                Last edited by Wail; 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

It's in the latest build, just search in the editor for "Skaarji."
                  Ah... ok ...my rig right now isn't really able to run the latest build. I wait for a more "optimized" version

That would be fine with me. It's arguably not in line with the goal of making UT a competitive eSports arena shooter to have different visual or hitbox profiles. Then again, we have hats.
                  Quake Live solved this by enabling forced-skins for pure competitive matches.
                  Clan server use this feature very often.
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I think I'd prefer if we and Epic stopped trying to make the Skaarj at all. At least as player characters. Skaarj have been better off as an NPC-only race in the Unreal series than they were as a minor team in UT2k4. They deserve to be bulky and huge and physically superior to humans, but that just doesn't work for competitively consistent player models. Also, as many have shown, the Skaarj are also iconic in a way that makes it difficult to remake them to everyone's satisfaction. So my advice would be, don't. (And all due apologies for saying this only after you've already worked very hard on this topic.)

Instead, focus on remaking characters where there aren't such expectations.
                    Hellions, raw steel, venom, iron guard, these are similarly niche concepts as relates to UT, and since they're human they're guaranteed to fit with the cosmetics system.

Oh I did forget to mention that there's no way anyone's going to fit a hat over those dreads and tusks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                      I think I'd prefer if we and Epic stopped trying to make the Skaarj at all. At least as player characters. Skaarj have been better off as an NPC-only race in the Unreal series than they were as a minor team in UT2k4. They deserve to be bulky and huge and physically superior to humans, but that just doesn't work for competitively consistent player models. Also, as many have shown, the Skaarj are also iconic in a way that makes it difficult to remake them to everyone's satisfaction. So my advice would be, don't. (And all due apologies for saying this only after you've already worked very hard on this topic.)

Instead, focus on remaking characters where there aren't such expectations.
                      Hellions, raw steel, venom, iron guard, these are similarly niche concepts as relates to UT, and since they're human they're guaranteed to fit with the cosmetics system.

Oh I did forget to mention that there's no way anyone's going to fit a hat over those dreads and tusks.
                      But I want to be a skaarj. Also there could technically be hats/helmets that don't work for certain races.

Comment

Originally posted by Impuredeath View Post
                        But I want to be a skaarj.
                        Very well, we can have anemic broken-toothed Skaarj just for you.

Comment

It's not that bad... but the overall color is too washed out, and the "hair" just looks wrong. IMO, if they were as open to iteration on these characters as YemYam has been with the weapons, it would be a lot better off.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

the diffuse texture is so incredibly easy to adjust if you want a different color. I'm sure there will be a lot of variations... I'm thinking about doing something at least

Overall I think the new skaarj is pretty cool, it's one of many valid directions they could've taken it. I really don't get all the negativity here, it makes zero sense to me. The skaarj was never one thing or another, it's changed considerably with each new iteration. From the look of it, the new skaarj is the coolest one yet. The original Unreal model was so low detailed that it was basically an abstract representation of some kind of predator/alien rip off. What's been happening in this thread is that people have been putting all these things into that concept that was never there to begin with

Comment

I agree with the point about the diffuse. Once I brought it in to Photoshop I realized how good it was they were giving the base material a very desaturated look to make it readily adjustable so you can have skin tone variation and patterns overlaid easily.

Framing people's responses as negativity is mostly incorrect. The people who are active and vocal on this forum are trying to help create a better game that is going to appeal to existing fans and make them passionate ambassadors for bringing new fans to the franchise. UT3 already tried the route where things were done without any consideration for the franchise history, and the results weren't that great.
                              The argument about the original game models is also rather irrelevant since there's plenty of representations of Skaarj beyond those (this thread handily compiles most of them). Speaking only for myself, I want to be excited. If I didn't care I wouldn't spend such a big chunk of my free time trying to do things to help this game succeed, but when you have something that's just missing the mark in these obvious ways I'm not going to lie and say it's great.

Compare the model above with these sketches below. Which one of these is capturing essence of the Skaarj? I think there's almost no disagreement that the latter, while not perfect, has something the former does not.

Originally posted by WozzMech View Post
                              Hi everybody.

Noob post, some Skaarj / Necrified Skaarj variants - I apologize in advance for any nightmares, trauma, loss of lunch / libido etc...

Well, here goes (steps off ledge)

Thanx Woz
                              I love these guys, especially the war paint you have applied. You really capture the menacing, alien psychology of the Skaarj. More of this please.
                              Last edited by Wail; 08-02-2015, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Compare the model above with these sketches below. Which one of these is capturing essence of the Skaarj?
                                essence is such a vague term here, because what is considered essential for the skaarj changes from person to person. But I'd say I greatly prefer the official take over those sketches

Comment

Working...
                                X