Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WozzMech! Awesome work. Those concepts look menacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raixs View Post
      amazing!! love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by shinibon; 08-04-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WozzMech View Post

Finally a concept that does the Skaarj justice. The anatomy still needs some work, but the heads are amazing. The only thing I'd change is make it so the top of the skull is higher than the apex of the trapezium muscle, by having the trapezium connect slightly more to the base of the skull. Then, if you could make the latissimus dorsi and biceps bigger and the chest slightly more defined, the bust would be perfect, imo.

Comment

Maybe for prevent issue with hitbox and competitive thing, a Skarrj model like UT2k4. Based on human-skeleton, but with reptile details like scales and claws and characteristic things they own.

Comment

The way I see it there's not much of a reason the skaarj couldn't be uniformly scaled down somewhat in game, and the hitbox kept consistent. It doesn't really matter if say, 5-10% of the char ends up outside the hitbox. Then it should still be perceived as slightly bigger than a standard humanoid character, but not breaking gameplay.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Thank you for all the comments guys, all feedback is welcome ( well, unless it's hate-mail...or spam... and then it's sadness)

Apologies once again for any clumsiness in the forum, this is literally the first time I have posted in one of these things ( I know, I know, I can hear the chortling from over here ).

I left this handsome chap mostly colourless so that he could be painted over and tweaked, and some spent time adjusting the levels for this reason so please feel free to experiment to your hearts content!
              I didn't want to run too far with it until I could get some valuable feedback, and I am grateful for your thoughts.

The body definitely needs some love - I really like some of the previous artwork posted and didn't want to force something when I can see there are other artists out there doing a fine enough job.
              Please keep it up, it is inspiring.
              I will tweak the physique as suggested and repost him ( with some suitably horrible colours to match his demeanor).

The concepts the devs posted are friggin' sweet and motivated me to give it bash, I personally would love to see (play/fight/get squished by) more wicked lookin' beasties in game.
              I have some nasties cooking up trouble in the attic upstairs and will let them loose as soon as they are fit and able along with some human chars.

My artwork is what it is, I can never hope to be perfect but I hope to grow and develop my skills along with the game (and with your help)
              I am free and available, and have decided to devote as much free time and love as I can to this noble and worthy cause.

P.S. Yes, plasma has its own nobility to it.

Thnx Woz
              Last edited by WozzMech; 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

@ InspecktahDeck

I would love to, I am messing around with some human/skaarj hybrids, but the idea isn't quite up to standard ATM.
                I'll give the others a look-see too. It's all exciting to me. I jump at the chance to draw uglies.
                Thanks for the suggestion!
                Last edited by WozzMech; 08-04-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

WozzMech's faces are indeed pretty nice. I'd probably prefer the "reverse munch" variant. and I suppose less bulk would be better for competitive reasons.

By the way, in the last stream there was an off-hand comment about Skaarj females. I'd rather that wasn't done until there's a good justification for it. From what we know so far, the Skaarj are insectoid species: they go through the larval stages, they have a single Queen per colony. Insect biology is such that all workers look the same, because the queen emits chemicals that stop their development into rival queens. When the queen dies, others are then able to compete to replace her. So all the Skaarj we've seen so far might as well be females already. So, unless you're going to retcon the existence of Skaarj Queens (probably a bad idea), having feminine-looking Skaarj just makes very little sense. (They could perhaps be developing Queens; but there can't be too many of them, as there can't be too many Warlords, and their looks would be based on the Queen, which is quite a bit different from regular Skaarj).

Similarly, there are no "teenage" Skaarj. The Pupae are spider-like.
                  Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                  My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

If there's a female Skaarj, then it's most likely a Skaarj hybrid or a new sub species of Skaarj we have never seen before. I find we don't need to retcon anything if they just say it's a new sub species, it'd just mean adding more new information to what we know, even though it is outside of what is known so far. This species probably has no queen or something like that.
                    Last edited by OMNIETY OMEGA; 08-10-2015, 01:00 AM.
                    Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Yes, that's why I said "until there's a good justification for it". If one can be made, then that's fine, but it has to be made first.

Comment

Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
                        If there's a female Skaarj, then it's most likely a Skaarj hybrid or a new sub species of Skaarj we have never seen before. I find we don't need to retcon anything if they just say it's a new sub species, it'd just mean adding more new information to what we know, even though it is outside of what is known so far. This species probably has no queen or something like that.
                        I tried to cook up a backstory:

After the death of the Queen and losing the Human-Skaarj war, a single clan created a new breed of Human-Skaarj hybrids. Clan Iron Skull, the clan prisoner 849 fought on Na-Pali, salvaged genetic material of the queen from the wreckage of the Mothership. They then spliced this genetic material with Human female and Skaarj warrior DNA and to create a new caste of Skaarj amazons. Capable of both combat and reproduction, their smaller size compared to the queen meant they could not produce large amounts of eggs, but they would allow for more females capable of reproduction. This new caste would also give the Warlord supreme leadership over his clan without having to answer to a Queen.

After clan Iron Skull had ejoyed preeminence for many years due to it's inexplicably (to outsiders) large number of hybrid soldiers, the more tradition bound members of the clan begun to loathe the decline of the caste system and traditional Skaarj values. They feared they would fade away into memory unless action was taken soon. The assassination of Iron Skull's warlord by traditionalists was the spark that caused the built up tensions to explode into a vicious civil war between the old and the new. After a series of bloody battles, superior numbers caused the balance of the war to tip in favour of the hybrid warriors and amazons, resulting in a clan entirely composed of hybrids. Shunned by the other clans, the decimated clan Iron Skull fanned out to find their own fortune and many took up a new life as pirates or mercenary units .
                        Last edited by Zargøthrax; 08-10-2015, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchHollander View Post
                          They then spliced this genetic material with Human female and Skaarj warrior DNA and to create a new caste of Skaarj amazons.
                          You got me there with 'Skaarj amazons', hilarious when you attempt to imagine it, a voluptuous Skaarj.
                          Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

If they are able to harvest DNA and grow a female why wouldnt they just grow male warriors?
                            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Yea, I'm not convinced. Sure, the Skaarj are capable of genetic manipulation experiments, as we see in the Mothership, but the rationalisation sounds too complex for its own good...

Comment

Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
                                You got me there with 'Skaarj amazons', hilarious when you attempt to imagine it, a voluptuous Skaarj.
                                I was thinking more along the lines of a Locust berserker, what with the Queen DNA and all...

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                                If they are able to harvest DNA and grow a female why wouldnt they just grow male warriors?
                                Skaarj are semi-eusocial. Warriors have no sexual organs, only warlords and the Queen are able to reproduce.

Time for some more fluff:

The way I imagine it, the Skaarj have one Queen that rules over the Skaarj empire. The empire is made up of clans, each clan is led by a warlord. The queen mates with the warlord of a clan and this produces the clan's pupae. The queen travels from clan to clan and keeps the number of warriors per clan even to maintain political balance between the clans. Only one Queen is allowed to exist in order to preserve this balance.

All pupae (actually a nymph) start their life looking identical and it is when they molt that they differentiate into warriors or troopers (subimago). When the old warlord dies, in battle or because of an unfortunate "accident", the strongest warrior or trooper undergoes a second molt into a new warlord (imago).

Queens are only born from pupae that have been fed a substance similar to the royal jelly fed to bee larvae that are to become queens. This substance can only be produced by the Queen and is stored in a central depot deep within the Skaarj empire, heavily guarded by warriors hand picked by the Queen from every clan. A lot of politics and decorum is involved in deciding which clan gets the honor of producing a new Queen in the event of her death. Ultimately, this clan is selected after an extremely bloody homologue of the olympics of Earth. Champions from each clan compete in sports varying from Nali hunting to last-man-standing melee deathmatches.

Clan Iron Skull has long been excluded from the succesion games for many generations for their failure to protect the queen and for losing the mothership when leading the assault on Earth, causing their defeat at the height of the Human-Skaarj war. Still, the balance of power must be maintained and since all clans regularly performed genetic experiments on their clanbrood, no-one questioned the creation of Human-Skaarj hybrids by clan Iron Skull. What none could have suspected, what was kept in utmost secrecy, was that during the chaos of the Human-Skaarj wars clan Iron Skull had managed to salvage some tissue samples of the Queen that died on Na-Pali . After nearly a hundred years in cryostasis the tissue samples were used, along with human female DNA, to create a new type of hybrid. Where previously only warlords and the Queen had sexual organs, these female Human-Queen hybrids were sexually mature without a second molting. The new female hybrids were dubbed amazons. After some initial failures, a viable male Human-Queen hybrid was created which was able to succesfully reproduce with the female hybrids. These male hybrids were of lesser stature than their female counterparts, looking more human-like, and were dubbed myrmidons. Undergoing their first molt just as quickly as normal pupae, the sexually mature amazons and myrmidons were able to quickly snowball into a sizeable army, taking the other clans completely by surprise when they finally were unleashed from their secret underground breeding ground...

Jesus christ, how the **** did I end up writing creepy fanfic about Skaarj orgies?
                                Last edited by Zargøthrax; 08-10-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X