Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the first picture with the red eyes does he look much too happy.
    The second picture is the right direction in my opinion.

lol Toofliff Terror.
    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Love it Wozz! Definitely keeping with the original Skaarj.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback
        Last edited by WozzMech; 08-18-2015, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Toofliff best resembles the wrinkled lip look of existing Skaarj incarnations. Perhaps he could have teeth in there, but they're just under the lips or not so pronounced.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I felt the need to sketch some Skaarj heads.
            Since the triangular neck to head progression and face are very iconic for the Skaarj, I tried to keep its identity while updating it a bit and making it more fresh.

My main goal was to make it more scary and evil looking, something that could scare players just as well today as in that famous Rrajigar Mines scene back in the days.
            Attached Files
            S l y .

Comment

Some great pics Sly, demonstrates really well the overall profile for Skaarj heads. I also like it's got a bit of an insectoid feel to it, as that is one element that was part of their identity but is often never translated into newer concepts.
              Last edited by Wail; 08-23-2015, 09:57 PM.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Thanks Wail!

Time for more stuff!

I was studying the old Unreal model of a classic Skaarj and made this sheet to point out what I believe are the most important and iconic aspects of its design, marked with the colours blue, green and red:

The red lines shape the famous triangle-shaped neck each Skaarj incarnation had so far (you can check screenshots in case of doubt).
                The head - blue lines - varied with each incarnation regarding its shape, but usually it was noticably more flat than that of a human. The head is set mostly upright on the neck in every incarnation of the Skaarj throughout the series (contrast to the unused UT3 concept Chris Perna posted).
                The green lines symbolize the eyes, or more correctly: the eyes that are sunken into the skull. Sometimes glowing, sometimes less, but usually of an unnatural colour. Due to the position of the eyes, Skaarj tend to have a more pronounced forehead/brow line.

Since the tusk length (yellow) varied in the Unreal series and would probably also vary "in nature", these lines only mark the position of it and more liberties can be taken without the danger of affecting the overall Skaarj dna.
                The mouth shown via the purple lines was something inconsistent as well, but whether it was pushed back into the skull (original Skaarj), or moved forward like that of a monkey (UT2004), it didn't affect the overall silhouette of the figure and the Skaarj face was still clearly recognizable as such.

So, as long as the red and blue lines (head-neck shape) are somewhat in place resembling the old silhouette's geometry and the green lines (eyes) are positioned further into the skull than the brow, everything just screams "Skaarj!".

With this knowledge in mind, I have edited the screenshot of the model that was posted here in this thread, inspired a bit by the concepts I have posted earlier:
                Before:

After:

Two variations without glowing eyes and with the model's original grey skin colour and no glowing eyes:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	dreadskaarj-ut4-1_editednoglow_Sly.png
Views:	1
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	339575

Name:	dreadskaarj-ut4-1_editednocolour_Sly.png
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	339576

Let me know, what you think of this!

I'm willing to take this further too if there is any interest (have more changes in mind that could be done).
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sly.; 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM. Reason: typos
                S l y .

Comment

the non glowing eye variations are actually pretty good, and in line with where they took the changes to Necris eyes.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Looking really great sly, glad you decided to take it to the next step. I think overall, you've done a great job. I think my only concerns are with the profile of the head. The top of the head, imo, needs to look more rounded from the profile view. It may not be 100% how it was in the original design, but I think it would be an improvement. It looks kind of baby-brained atm.

I think the jaw profile might need some more structure as well. Just a larger jaw line to increase the size of the head a bit. Proportionally though, you might want to reduce the overall thickness of the neck. It does look "good", but it also looks somewhat cartoony because of how exaggerated it is. Might want to find a balance.

Comment

It might look a bit cartoony because the shoulders should be wider, and maybe a bit taller aswell (the shoulders).
                      Epic's UT4 "skaarj" have a human base structure, with human-like armor, human shoulders, etc... The real skaarj are a bit wider/stronger than humans. They have wider body, wider neck, etc...

I like sly's concept much more than the official one. Sly's version actually looks like a skaarj (although the human-like armor is meh)
                      Last edited by hi-ban; 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                        Before:
                        Just a freak. Specially for fans of reality.

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                        After:
                        True Skaarj. He causes terrible hatred among fans of reality and CoD: BO. And rightly so.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                          the non glowing eye variations are actually pretty good, and in line with where they took the changes to Necris eyes.
                          Thanks!
                          Yeah I'm surprised these regular eyes seem to work out well for the Skaarj too.
                          Originally posted by cafe View Post
                          Looking really great sly, glad you decided to take it to the next step. I think overall, you've done a great job. I think my only concerns are with the profile of the head. The top of the head, imo, needs to look more rounded from the profile view. It may not be 100% how it was in the original design, but I think it would be an improvement. It looks kind of baby-brained atm.

I think the jaw profile might need some more structure as well. Just a larger jaw line to increase the size of the head a bit. Proportionally though, you might want to reduce the overall thickness of the neck. It does look "good", but it also looks somewhat cartoony because of how exaggerated it is. Might want to find a balance.
                          Thanks!
                          Yeah, I'm aware of that. Something like that likely wouldn't pass nowadays but it's just a re-draw of the original Skaarj as seen in Unreal 1 and UT99. For UT, such a wide neck would be very counterproductive as it would break the silhouette with a visible head shape.
                          Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                          It might look a bit cartoony because the shoulders should be wider, and maybe a bit taller aswell (the shoulders).
                          Epic's UT4 "skaarj" have a human base structure, with human-like armor, human shoulders, etc... The real skaarj are a bit wider/stronger than humans. They have wider body, wider neck, etc...

I like sly's concept much more than the official one. Sly's version actually looks like a skaarj (although the human-like armor is meh)
                          Yeah, the human armour is still putting me off as well, it just seems like quite some contrast to the being itself (especially looking back at how Skaarj tech looks like). This and the shoulders are what I was addressing with being willing to attempt to take this further.
                          I'm pretty sure one can make the shoulder (highest portion of the upper arms) more dominant without breaking the "slim" silhouette that's necessary for UT (and its competitive spirit).
                          S l y .

Comment

That's a huge improvement Sly and putting them side by side it creates a very dramatic contrast.

I only have one problem with your concept and that's around the nostril area. It looks kind of sunken in. It's just a sketch but the execution there is the only problem I have with it, nailed it otherwise.

Name:	dreadskaarj-ut4-1_edited_Sl.png
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	339580
                            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Looks great Sly, keep it up!

Comment

Hey all! This is my first post ever anywhere. Sad but true. I'm a real digital hermit.
                                I found this thread the other day and was inspired by the works here and by what this forum is all about. I felt an urge to contribute here. I did a quick two hour or so concept sculpt of bulkier more aggressive variant of the official Skaarj. I also tried to sneak in a bit of Gears flavor into this. Again it's a super quickie sculpt and I'm only concerned about the large and medium forms here, although I did some work to suggest some detail to get the juices flowing. It currently fits the rig that the characters use in game.

If you squint you can see a bit of the UT2004 Skaarj.

I used this image and renders of the official model for ref
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X