Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw the new pics in the last stream, **** the Skaarj base model look great !
    Stevie's corner
    My UT4 maps
    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Great work, Joel. I like the idea of bulkier, more aggressive looking Skaarj offshoots. Sort of like the Uruk-hai from LOTR. I also like the bony, Doomsday style protrusions. As someone already mentioned, and you probably already know, his body is a bit too human like. You can possibly hook up with Gooba and get some quick paint-overs and/or feedback on how (and where) to exaggerate those proportions. I'd like to see Skaarj with more exposed flesh for war paint and skin variations.

Either way, really great work man. I hope you take this all the way to finish.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Rick! You read my mind with the warpaint idea. Really hit the nail on the head there. I was hoping to create and almost barbaric version of the Skaarj. Still techy but a bit more animalistic and savage in nature. It hope to achieve a distinctive character type look (brawler vs brains) compared to the original but still existing within the same race. I've been making some progress on the model, and have been making it less human. I think the level of humanity in these models will be largely controlled by the medium reads, surfacing, and animation (especially if bound by a human rig) and I'm just now fleshing that stuff out.....at least in preparation for PO's and feedback. I can't wait to share the update and get more constructive crits. Love this stuff.

Comment

As I said, here are some new paintovers of the model, this time closer to the original:
          This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
          This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
          As a comparison, here's my first paintover:
          And the original as a comparison:
          The chosen official Skaarj model looks quite humanoid, more along the lines of the Skaarj Hybrids, so I tried to break that up a bit by tweaking the headshape and browline a bit.

Let me know what you think.

Also, Joeliepoo, your model looks like a promising attempt on a Skaarj. If you want, I can make a paintover of your model as well once you post the updates. The more paintovers, the more inspration, the better after all I guess.
          Attached Files
          S l y .

Comment

The top one is perfect! Agree with what you said. I also like the glowy eyes version personally but I understand if people thinks it will look too much comic book.

Comment

Sly,

I love to hear feedback from anybody willing to give it. Always something to learn and the more ideas the broader the scope of the imagination. If it interests you to do a paintover don't let anybody stop you from doing what you enjoy especially not somebody by the name of Joeliepoo . I'd be happy to post something that gets people excited and wanting to collaborate on.

I dig the effort that people are putting into the works here, a part of the reason I wanted to contribute, and you are no exception. Really cool how you've been posting concept variants of characters here. I'd like to see you push shapes even further to see what you come up with.

-Joel

Comment

Thanks! Once you have an update on the Skaarj you made, post it! I'd love to take a go at it.

Here are more (and probably for now the last) paintover variants of the official Skaarj:
                Let's start off with simple modifications and take it further with each version:

And here the base model with just minor neck and shoulder modifications such as different dreads:

And once again, as a comparison the original:
                Attached Files
                S l y .

Comment

Awesome Sly, you are killing it. Side by side these are really good demonstrations of where we'd have to take a model to actually bring this in line with the true Skaarj concept, rather than a human-hybrid we're currently seeing.

I personally like the direction #11 is heading, the overall shape of the head and the incorporation of Giger-esque ridges significantly improve the baseline feeling of alienness and menace from him. The dreads are moved back which is good, and spread out over the rear of the skull, again good. I think there's something to do in that area still, but I need to mull over precisely what it is that seems not right.

I still want non-humanoid eyes, but you know that already.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I think Epic has done a good job getting a base Skaarj in the game given the small-team/single-skeleton constraints. Hopefully the community can spin out variants from there.

Sly, your variations are awesome! The main thing I don't understand with the Epic model (after I've come to terms with the hybrid mindset) is the white skin. I'm reserving judgement until I've played against it in game but I'm afraid it will look washed out especially on lower settings. Even just your number 6 variant would have been better IMO. Some of the images of the Epic Skaarj on Flickr with post processing look green and it looks better that way. I'm hoping that's how it will look in action. It would be great to have one like your 11 as part of the Skaarj team in the future though!
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

9, maybe 11. 11 might be a bit too stubby though.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

It's white because it's easier to paint over.

These are two of Epic's most recent concepts, just shown on the Sep 9 Twitch Stream:

Attached Files

Comment

@Sly
                          9 and 10 are for me the right direction. 11 got a much too small head.

@Dementiurge
                          Darn, missed the stream again... I like the leg armour.
                          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                            It's white because it's easier to paint over.

These are two of Epic's most recent concepts, just shown on the Sep 9 Twitch Stream:

Yep, I hope it looks like that in game. If you look at all of the recently uploaded screenshots of the completed character, it's hard to tell how it will look in game since they vary in color due to how they were lit/post-processed. Either way, it will be great to have two more chars in game.
                            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	339886

Was I the only one that thought this skaarj could go seemless in this old tv series ?

Comment

I like nr11 the most, the smaller flattened head seems to fit the species' profile IMO. I think otherwise it starts feeling too much humanoid.

Comment

Working...
                                X