X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spitfire! View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]19863[/ATTACH]

Was I the only one that thought this skaarj could go seemless in this old tv series ?
    LOL, yeah I think you were.
    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
      So much win, absolutelly stunning! Well done Epic, if this is the official direction.
      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
      > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
      > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

As I feared, Skaarj became very, very similar to the common man. Get him out of head with tusks, and replace it with a human head and you get the average person. But Epic it is your style, it's your choice, because once you decide how the game should look like this.
        Last edited by Mad IVIax; 09-13-2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
          Sorry had to have a laugh at this.
          Attached Files
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Mad IVIax View Post
            As I feared, Skaarj became very, very similar to the common man. Get him out of head with tusks, and replace it with a human head and you get the average person. But Epic it is your style, it's your choice, because once you decide how the game should look like this.
            If you watch the last stream, you will understand why they went that way. It's a compromise but I'd rather have this guy in game next week than have to wait a year for a more purpose-built Skaarj with its own skeleton. Doesn't mean that it can't happen in the future or a community member can't step up and build it.

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
              If you watch the last stream, you will understand why they went that way. It's a compromise but I'd rather have this guy in game next week than have to wait a year for a more purpose-built Skaarj with its own skeleton. Doesn't mean that it can't happen in the future or a community member can't step up and build it.
              Calling it a Skaarj Hybrid is the easiest solution and coincidentally shares the same (OOC) reason Hybrids were introduced in the first place.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                Calling it a Skaarj Hybrid is the easiest solution and coincidentally shares the same (OOC) reason Hybrids were introduced in the first place.
                This is the best solution in my eyes.
                And btw. I loved the Skaarj Hybrids in UT99 ...still my favourite skin and voice pack.
                Skrilax with team colour suit.
                ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                  This is the best solution in my eyes.
                  And btw. I loved the Skaarj Hybrids in UT99 ...still my favourite skin and voice pack.
                  Skrilax with team colour suit.
                  Yep, Skrilax was awesome. Played as that char for many years "Ha ha ha!".

Comment

First update on my take on a Skaarj concept. Found some time this weekend to crank on this guy. Plenty of work to be done still! I'm sorry to say I didn't progress on his hair or the back of his body. I'll make sure to hit those things for the next update. I was curious how this guy would look with his mouth open so I tinkered with that to find out. Not sure I like how he looks with his mouth open. Not relevant I guess.

I'm thinking this Skaarj would be to the official Skaarj as Dolph Lundgren is to Jean Claude Van Damme. He's more aggressive, stronger, but a bit less cunning than the official Skaarj. No offense Dolph .

I hope you guys think it's a worthwhile update. Crits please!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was hoping for some feedback before moving forward but I'll resume work on this tonight and also try to get some concept support.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeliepoo View Post
                        I was hoping for some feedback before moving forward but I'll resume work on this tonight and also try to get some concept support.
                        IMO feedback on this guy would be the same as for the official model: Move the dreadlocks towards the back of the skull, go for more of a Predator vibe with that element. Top of the skull should be flatter and more angular. Emphasize the ridges along the neck / traps. I also feel like the eyes are a bit small and increasing that slightly can help with a more alien feel (adjusting skull shape will help here too, and might alone be enough just by changing proportions of skull / eye).

I do like the mood overall you're trying to go for with this model emphasizing the *********** of the character but can stand to draw more from Predator / Alien / Unreal source material.
                        Last edited by Wail; 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Here's the promised paintover!

Sorry, a bit late, I didn't see you already posted it and literally just made it today.

Generally, my feedback would overlap with Wail's feedback quite a lot, so I'm going to save you some time by not typing the same.

So, to explain what I did/"changelog" of the paintover:
                          Enlarged the forehead/browline a bit,
                          moved the tusk starting point further forward/towards the mouth,
                          the temples were sunken in a bit to make the headshape a bit less bulky,
                          the neck was enlarged a bit and made more triangular,
                          the chin was made a bit spiky with the middle remaining as it is to create a sunken in spot,
                          the nose was almost completely flattened so that the human/orkish similarity would be gone and moved a bit downwards towards the mouth,
                          the area between the eyes got another scale on the browline such as narrow nose-ish bridge connecting the mouth/nose segment with the brow while being still sunken in
                          and at the same time it is supposed to stress the evil "eye-bag" look around the eyes,
                          the eyes were also enlarged a bit and are more reflective/glowing (think of cat eyes at night),
                          below the eyes some bonus scales (extending from the brow) were added with very sharp edges,
                          then I put more emphasis on the shape on top of the head by changing it from round skull to the shape you see there with some "riblike formations",
                          and finally I thought, why not try something different with the dreads? So I tried some dread style which resembles insect anatomy a bit inspired by old Unreal and Unreal 2 artworks and concepts, think of insect legs or their feelers in terms of design. I didn't flesh them out a whole lot there and just sketched them, so if you're interested in those and some detail work would be necessary, let me know. Personally, I think it goes very well with the beast approach you have going and stresses the alien-origins of the Skaarj, even if decide against applying the other changes I suggest here, the dreads could work well with your model.

Let me know what you think!
                          Attached Files
                          S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                            Here's the promised paintover!

Sorry, a bit late, I didn't see you already posted it and literally just made it today.

Generally, my feedback would overlap with Wail's feedback quite a lot, so I'm going to save you some time by not typing the same.

So, to explain what I did/"changelog" of the paintover:
                            Enlarged the forehead/browline a bit,
                            moved the tusk starting point further forward/towards the mouth,
                            the temples were sunken in a bit to make the headshape a bit less bulky,
                            the neck was enlarged a bit and made more triangular,
                            the chin was made a bit spiky with the middle remaining as it is to create a sunken in spot,
                            the nose was almost completely flattened so that the human/orkish similarity would be gone and moved a bit downwards towards the mouth,
                            the area between the eyes got another scale on the browline such as narrow nose-ish bridge connecting the mouth/nose segment with the brow while being still sunken in
                            and at the same time it is supposed to stress the evil "eye-bag" look around the eyes,
                            the eyes were also enlarged a bit and are more reflective/glowing (think of cat eyes at night),
                            below the eyes some bonus scales (extending from the brow) were added with very sharp edges,
                            then I put more emphasis on the shape on top of the head by changing it from round skull to the shape you see there with some "riblike formations",
                            and finally I thought, why not try something different with the dreads? So I tried some dread style which resembles insect anatomy a bit inspired by old Unreal and Unreal 2 artworks and concepts, think of insect legs or their feelers in terms of design. I didn't flesh them out a whole lot there and just sketched them, so if you're interested in those and some detail work would be necessary, let me know. Personally, I think it goes very well with the beast approach you have going and stresses the alien-origins of the Skaarj, even if decide against applying the other changes I suggest here, the dreads could work well with your model.

Let me know what you think!
                            I love you Sly. This is wonderful.

Comment

This is actually looking very interesting, it's pushing toward that traditional Skaarj aesthetic. This would work really well, it kind of ties to the base character, but at the same time it's more ******* and has more weight around the neck.
                              Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Great stuff, I really like you latest render Joeliepoo but agree that Sly's paintover brings it back into Skaarj land a bit more. I visualize the Skaarj and all offshoots as a very diverse group. Would love to see a ton of variants as they are my favorite species of the series! Whatever you do be sure to save off some of your earlier versions so we could have those as variants in addition to the new stuff.

Awesome work everybody!

Pete
                                Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                                Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                                Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Working...
                                X