Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice guys! Thanks for the feed. I think you were picking up on the things I was trying to get into the model but I ended up somewhere between Sly's paintover and the official Skaarj instead. Thank you Sly for pushing what I was only hinting at. I was trying a subtle approach at the original Skaarj but mixing it with the new official Skaarj. I think you really helped to validate the design choices I was making but pushing them to 100% rather than the 70-80% I had. This is a huge help. I'm amped and ready to hit this tonight!

Comment

Thanks everyone! Glad I could help!

Keep at it Joeliepoo, your model is pretty stunning already and it would be great to see it end up ingame at some point.
      S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
        Here's the promised paintover!
        [...]
        Let me know what you think!
        ...wow...
        Last edited by papercoffee; 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM.
        ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Excellent paintover m8
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 maps
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Wow... awesome, awesome work guys! Really well done, Sly and Joeliepoo!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMNaDe xD View Post
              Wow... awesome, awesome work guys! Really well done, Sly and Joeliepoo!
              Major +1 to this ^.
              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I love this! This is a real Skaarj!
                Especially the hair/dreads are GREAT. I am personally not a big fan of the (predator like) black tubes that just hang down without volume.
                -Fn>Metalfist
                ---------------------
                Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

^ I think this is a great direction, while the current ingame concept doesn't look bad at all, it's actually quite nice looking, I get more UT vibe from this Sly's paintover concept though. I think it's important to not step out too much from the comfort zone of UT DNA even if it's a great thing to come up with something new. The current implementation does feel quite a lot like "Predator" alien. This concept above here doesn't remind me of anything else than exactly Skaarj. The dreads are spot-on, the tusks (I'd love to see some shortened spikey tusk variants too), the face, all in all I really love this one!
                  Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 09-19-2015, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The green is a little too green for me. Also am not a huge fan of those dreads. Too plant-like or something. But I love the brow and the scaling on his body.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                      Too plant-like or something.
                      insectile.

,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Yeah, that's a better description. I see why some people like it. It's just not for me.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

That looks very cool. Great work!

Comment

Oh yes. Now this is one big Skaarj Warrior badass.

That green is ok to me, though even if done a bit more brown, like his chest, I think it would still rock.
                            Last edited by insomnaut; 09-19-2015, 11:33 AM.
                            @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

I like the design tweaks that Sly did to the concept sculpt I did. I'm not sold on the saturation of the green either but I'm looking past that for now as this was, I believe, a pretty quick paintover so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure I know why the official Skaarj has dreads rather than the nostalgic look of the spikey tentacle hair from the original Skaarj. From a design standpoint it doesn't really vibe with a model that has a more realistic tone as in the official Skaarj. It worked great with the original Skaarj because technology limitations didn't allow for a realistic look back then (although I admit back then I was pretty blown away by the look and tech). Technology has changed and as such character design has more things to consider now. I believe that when they developed the new official Skaarj they kept these things in mind. I really love the official Skaarj because it's design as it's not afraid to step away from nostalgia and evolve into something possibly greater. Keep in mind too that sometimes designs that look great in a still or single view may not work in multiple views or in the case of a 3d character model infinite views. I do feel like the dreads in the paintover above are a bit insect-like and I get the feeling that a spider is making it's way out of his skull. That being said I'm not above trying things out to see if they work, even if I'm skeptical of a design. I have a feeling that I will attempt the "hair" look above but will end up with some different surfacing or finer segmentation of the strands but will still retain the overall look at a glance.

Opinions are opinions and everybody is entitled to their own. Nobody is wrong here when they voice what they like, but some looks can be justified over others when considering current sound design principles. I see it as an interesting design challenge to create a variant of the already stunning, well designed look of the official Skaarj. It'll be especially hard I think to marry design principles of art that existed nearly 20 years ago with current design principles but like I said I'm willing to take a crack at it.

anyways my 2. I've saved out an older version of the Skaarj concept sculpt and am making a new one based on feedback here. It's really cool to see that folks are excited about work being done here. I'm glad to be a part of it all. Will likely post updates by Monday.

Comment

I'd never seen the dreads of the Skaarj as a low-poly attempt to make hair ...It was for me natural to see the dreads parted in segments because the Skaarj had always an insect origin vibe through all the games ...even so they had a skin instead of chitin plates. Their obvious origin was an insect like ancestor and many characteristics survived ...One Queen, Eggs, one or two male Drones, many worker in a Caste system.
                                And so, survived also some physical traits.

Comment

Working...
                                X