Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the dreads are pretty fine. The Skaarj in general seemed to be a chimera type species, a mixture of various creatures, which in itself makes them look both ******* and alien. The pupae look like slugs with legs of an arachnid, mouth like a leech, and its posture is like that of a snake. The queen has avian type legs with a reptilian tail and seems to have the posture of a Theropod dinosaur, with the front 8 protrusions looking like a underside of a caterpillar, and a relatively insect-like head. The Skaarj warrior is just the more humanoid form of them all. If you place the pure blood Skaarj next to a pupae and a queen, it should have some features that make them look like they are part of the same species.
    Last edited by OMNIETY OMEGA; 09-20-2015, 02:35 AM.
    Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

WOW i havent been on the forums for awhile while i was practicing getting better and faster at concept art but man the skaarj is almost exactly how i thought it should be in game, wish they would have kept some of the same features tho like more bumpy eye brows and glowing eyes but i really can't complain whoever made this did a pretty good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
        It's white because it's easier to paint over.

These are two of Epic's most recent concepts, just shown on the Sep 9 Twitch Stream:

WOW i havent been on the forums for a long time while i was practicing getting better and faster at concept art but man the skaarj is almost exactly how i thought it should be in game, wish they would have kept some of the same features tho like more bumpy eye brows and glowing eyes but i really can't complain whoever made this did a pretty good job!
        Last edited by JollyAmerican; 09-27-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Hey guys here's a small update. Sorry I didn't post sooner. I've just been busy. So I took much of Sly's paintover to heart and tweaked the head quite a bit and did a little detail pass. I also updated the tusks/horns and made an attempt at the dreads. A lot of people on this forum wanted dreads that started at the back of the head to tie in a bit to classic versions of the Skaarj. I placed some metal bits in there as maybe trophies or Skaarj warrior awards or something to break up the mass of the dreads and again as a nod to this guy with his segmented dreads. I'm not sure what I have is working or not but I thought it was worth a shot.

I also thought it'd be fun to toy with some headgear/mask so I have posted a really rough concept sculpt of a mask that might go with this guy. Normally I'd do hardsurface work in 3dsMax but again just concepting here so I thought a zbrush sculpt would do just fine for now. I tried to follow the planar segmented language seen on the Epic Skaarj's body armor. A little Photoshop glow for effect. I can't wait to gear this guy up.

I really hope to eventually hit the quality bar of Epic's new Skaarj. It's gonna be tough to do though. They did such a great job on it. Really nice work.

Anyways feedback and crits welcome! I love hearing suggestions.
          Attached Files

Comment

I must say, your last pics are looking just fantastic !

The only aspect I don't think fit's imho is the small armor on the forehead. The face mask is **** cool. With proper textures, it would be awesome

Nothing else to say except, excellent work here
            Stevie's corner
            My UT4 maps
            Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Lol, wow... that turned out wayyyyy better than I could have possibly imaged. Way to go Joeliepoo! Keep it up!

Comment

Yeah ... if me said it a few years ago, I would never have believed it. Well, guys, I hope you know what to do. Other UT no return longer, apparently.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, Joel!

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

This is completely awesome guys!! Keep going, just amazing. Great job Joeliepoo!!

-Chris

Comment

Agreed! Very awesome sculpt, great style! Let us know if you need any assistance or have any questions, we will help you get this in game whenever you are ready.

Keep up the great work!
                      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by JollyAmerican View Post
                        WOW i havent been on the forums for a long time while i was practicing getting better and faster at concept art but man the skaarj is almost exactly how i thought it should be in game, wish they would have kept some of the same features tho like more bumpy eye brows and glowing eyes but i really can't complain whoever made this did a pretty good job!

Unlike Necris visuals and concept, Epic nailed this one. Looks amazingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          Agreed! Very awesome sculpt, great style! Let us know if you need any assistance or have any questions, we will help you get this in game whenever you are ready.

Keep up the great work!
                          Wuuut?! Sweet! Thanks guys for all of the praise and thanks Sly for your concept support. I'm super pumped to keep moving on this guy, gearing him up, texturing etc. for the game. I've got a Disney trip with the fam at the end of the week but I'll try to squeeze in a meaningful update before then. After that I'll not have much to show for a week or so until I get back).

Thanks guys,

Joel

Comment

You're welcome! Your model looks excellent and has a strong Skaarj vibe now! I'm looking forward to further updates.

Those masks also look pretty sweet. It gave me some ideas for variations of the one you made and a full-face masks a'la original Skaarj Trooper. So, if you want, I can do some paintovers of that too.

Hehe, it's nice to see Chris took the time to comment on your model as well, good to see it's getting the attention it deserves!

PS: The dread additions are a nice nod to the original dread shapes! I'm currently thinking about how they could be made even more interesting and should I have an idea, I'll post it.
                            Last edited by Sly.; 09-29-2015, 07:49 PM.
                            S l y .

Comment

Vote for a little name change...

I mentioned it already but now that I see this beauty from Joeliepoo and Sly ...

Please UT-Dev Team, rename the official Skaarj to Skaarj Hybrid.
                              Joeliepoo's model should be the new official Skaarj ...it doesn't have to be a player model. It's more than enough to get hunted down by this Skaarj in an invasion game-type thing.
                              PLEASE!
                              ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I know the mask is just a concept, but I think the lights on the cheeks make it look weird to me. Like it has really prominent cheekbones or something. Without those it probably would look pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X