This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    I like these sly, especially 1b, 4 and 5 on the masks. The right hand side ones are interesting but almost too xan'ish. Too pointy on top. Also the orange and green options suit the skaarj, but red and blue might be cool for team options.
    I agree with you. It's a really good opportunity!

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

This is looking great, Joiliepoo... Go go go! looking forward to seeing this dute armored up!

Comment

Hey all,

Sorry again for not posting frequently. Life is time consuming. I started to 3d concept armor and gear for this version of the Skaarj. I thought it might be cool to make a Skaarj that is more melee oriented like a warrior or assassin type dude. While concepting I had some goals and ideas to follow:

1. I wanted to tie in some of the old original designs of the Skaarj and marry them with the new design language of the official Skaarj model.
        2. As a melee character I felt that the armor should give this Skaarj an athletic, agile look. Maybe the armor should be lighter and a bit sleeker, a less militant version of the official Skaarj but should still utilize the design language of the official Skaarj's armor.
        3. The naked concept sculpt of the Skaarj got some positive feedback so I thought it'd be cool if the armor sorta mimicked the anatomical structure of the body underneath, much like the mask armor did for the concept sculpt of the head.
        4. The armor should have large clean reads from a distance so it is not confusing to look at in the fast paced gameplay of UT. I focused manly on the large reads and not the detail in this concept mainly for this reason but also so that I can get some community feedback before investing heavily in the details.

Referenced used:

Armor concept:

Sorry for the huge dump of images. I just want to get the most detailed feedback possible before I move forward. I won't touch the armor until I get some feedback on it. Paint away if you'd like to paint in another layer of detail or even if you would like to suggest some large detail changes. There's some unfinished business on the body of this guy so I'm going to focus on working on that in the meantime.

Thanks all,

JoEliePoo
        Attached Files

Comment

Oh and yeah if anybody would like to design some arm blades for this guy I'd really appreciate the help .

Comment

Looking great, dute! Go go go!

Comment

Originally posted by Joeliepoo View Post
              Oh and yeah if anybody would like to design some arm blades for this guy I'd really appreciate the help .
              You mean a concept?
              ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Last bunch of pics are simply incredible !!!

But, imho, we don't see enough skin. The old Skaarj skin was roughly cover at 50% of armor. Right now, it is covered by ±80% which is to much imo. Also, the Skaarj have a rather thick skin so they're harder to kill by this fact they need less cover.
                Stevie's corner
                My UT4 maps
                Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Completely stunning work on that character. The design is very pleasant and, in my opinion, fits well with the other. Just wow dude.

Comment

This guy looks like the official Skaarj's brother. Great work man, I hope this makes in a future build! I really like the armor set you got going on, but still wondering about that tail. You can definitely see the the influence of that armor set from Unreal which makes it even more cool.

A small afterthought, were you planning on creating a bone material for the tusks? The face and the tusks use near identical colors currently.
                    Last edited by Quadj130; 11-01-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Those are some of the most impressive pics ever posted on this forum from either Epic or the community! I agree with Steve on the lack of skin showing although that could be part of the variants. The UT3 Skaarj that were community made allowed you to pile on the armor or have almost none. Hopefully we'll get that level of functionality at some point.

Keep up the great work!
                      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Love it! Better than the current one imo. Great work, cant wait to see it in game.

Comment

Awesome work, Joel! Really well done. I love how the eyes look when he's wearing the mask.

My initial thoughts are that I'd like to see the armor, masks, etc lean more towards your initial description (a more brutal, aggressive variant) and less techy/designy.

Using some LOTR movie references here (because I'm a huge fan of the look of the movies) the Skaarj are our Uruk-hai. They have a style, sure, but they're more concerned with functionality than style. I feel like the Skaarj would wear their battle damage and scars as badges of honor. I really like the hair-clips as they add to that tribal feel. I think someone suggested having them signify kills or something. That's an awesome idea! Also, would love to see more exposed skin, places to add war paint, etc.

The elves might make a bad analogy for the Necris but I definitely see that race (Necris) as the place to explore slick, sleek designs.

These are just my opinions, it's your model so don't let me derail you if you feel like you're on the right track. I love the work and am looking forward to seeing more.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                            My initial thoughts are that I'd like to see the armor, masks, etc lean more towards your initial description (a more brutal, aggressive variant) and less techy/designy.

Using some LOTR movie references here (because I'm a huge fan of the look of the movies) the Skaarj are our Uruk-hai. They have a style, sure, but they're more concerned with functionality than style. I feel like the Skaarj would wear their battle damage and scars as badges of honor. I really like the hair-clips as they add to that tribal feel. I think someone suggested having them signify kills or something. That's an awesome idea! Also, would love to see more exposed skin, places to add war paint, etc.
                            This armour is fitting for the Skaarj trooper with smaller tusks and maybe a complete helmet... but you are right the not so militaristic and more tribal Skaarj would wear lesser and more battle worn armour and would present their scars like medals.
                            ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Really good model, but looks so much human made. I would suggest to experiment around more organic materials and less industrial shapes. Use some tribal like decor made of real life stuff. Or it could be that he took this armor from the dead human body, but then he might upgrade it with his other trophy.

Comment

Had Goob (Adam) do a quick paint-over to illustrate what I was talking about. The armor looks more angular, more orc-ish, which I like a lot. He didn't do a mask but I'll get him to do one later on.

These are just suggestions, not writ in stone guidelines. Feel free to improvise and expand...
                                Attached Files

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Working...
                                X