Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks much better the version to the right, I like that direction. The all platey' shiney stuff doesn't fit Skaarj.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
      Looks much better the version to the right, I like that direction. The all platey' shiney stuff doesn't fit Skaarj.

It's well done stuff. But, yes, I like the 'brutal' version better.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Wow, Gooba strikes again! Yeah, I also think that angled armor set is an improvement. I am glad he didn't go full Orc on this one and still retained some futuristic tech pieces. Can't wait to see that garment flap.

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
        Both have platey shiney stuff...

Comment

Thanks for the crits and comments folks! I was a bit concerned that I was getting maybe too "designy" with the concept model and it did veer off of what I was initially going for, a more brutish Skaarj. While modeling though I did have plans to prune down the more armored version to make a more barbaric one and essentially getting 2 models out of this model. I do also think that with the right amount of wear and tear of the armor, some more assymetry, and a more specific pass at the shapes, textures, and materials what I posted could pass for a somewhat elite version of the Skaarj (at least in my mind). See below variants from the Unreal below.

I LOVE the PO Gooba did. Thanks a ton for doing that Gooba. I'm totally going to model the concept you posted because it better fits my original thoughts on the character. It'll also server to guide me in making the more armored version more disheveled looking.

So in summary I'm going to do both. I'm glad I made a full bare body of this guy . Thanks again for all of the support and feedback! It keeps the wind in my sails.
          As a side note I have OT again this week so I won't be able to dump a ton of time into this concept until next week.

-Joel
          Attached Files

Comment

Wooow Great Model and also Great paintover

Comment

Here you go, paintover of the armor in case you still decide to work on the more covered up berserker design.

Suggesting some twists to make certain elements less "edgy" and manmade and a bit more organic looking.
              The holes on the lower arms are for attachable Razik, but they could as well be implants (this could be more interesting tbh!).

I also gave it a try with the original Skaarj berserker's colour palette, it could look like this:

Well, it was a quick paintjob and the colours could be tweaked a bit, so don't blame me for the poor quality.
              Those metal colours could look interesting though.

For comparison, here is a sheet with the originals:
              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I think the one that Gooba made could work well for the regular low-level Skaarjs, I like the "shoes".
              I see he also made a Razik, looks interesting.

EDIT: It's funny, he had the same idea about the logo on the shoulderpad!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Sly.; 11-02-2015, 03:53 PM.
              S l y .

Comment

This thread blows me away everytime... but...

Is it just me or is the tail a little plain? Not that it was ever emphasized much, but with the amazing detail on the rest of the Skaarj, the tail seems kinda blah.

Either the one on the left, or the one you can barely see on the far right, Skaarj tails either have designs on them or some degree of armor.
                Last edited by EvilGrins; 11-02-2015, 06:25 PM.
                Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Also I thought there was "no flappy bits" allowed which would rule out the cloth in Gooba's version.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Tail pass coming soon guys....the tail is just a tube right now Sorry I let it lag behind for so long

Comment

tails on bipedals makes absolutely no sense., unless you're talking about something that moves around like a kangaroo or something. The Skaarj I'm working on has no tail, and never will, god **** it

Comment

T-Rex had a tail.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Rick Kohler; 11-02-2015, 07:01 PM.

Rick Kohler

Comment

to counterbalance its gigantic head

Comment

Originally posted by Quotidian View Post
                            to counterbalance its gigantic head
                            Filled with gigantic teeth.

Which only makes it MORE AWESOME.

thus, we can extrapolate that tails=awesome.

Comment

Exactly.

Rick Kohler

Comment

Goku had a tail and is one of the most badass characters ever created.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Working...
                                X