This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joeliepoo, you last update is simply awesome

Your armored model look **** great and with Sly.'s PO it's even much better!

But I must admit that Gooba's paint-over is what I would expect to see by default for the big Skaarj that have a higher rank (not the small one as the current model). I too think that a more brutal, aggressive look and less techy is the way to go for Skaarj.

I hope you will keep the trail simply because it's part of the character identity
    Stevie's corner
    My UT4 maps
    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Why not just have (hybrid) skaarjs, and the one we actually have as an (even more) hybrid skaarj ?

PS : Tails are cool if done corectly, and I'm satisfied with the tail we have right now, it's present, but not to long.

Comment

Fantastic work Joeliepoo! I hadn't pleased by any skaarj design up until you began showing us your own. It's very evocative and doesn't stray too far from the original Unreal design, which is an excellent thing in my view. My only suggestion would be to improve upon the tail because it's a bit bland. And the armor you've modeled, while nicely executed, doesn't remind me of something the Skaarj would have made and worn. It would fit the metal guards faction better I think.

(Epic's current design isn't bad by any means but to me, it's not alien-looking enough. It pretty much feels like an hybrid.)
        Last edited by Shletten; 11-05-2015, 12:47 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

Shletten,

Thanks for the praise! I'm new to posting work publicly and I'm finding that it's tough to know at what stage of the modeling process is best to post. In the case of the model I posted much of the work is very WIP, especially the tail and armor, but other more finished looking parts suggest that those very WIP parts are finished. So I could have waited to post the model when it is more what I intended but at that point too much time could be lost if it just doesn't work. In this case I feel like I may have posted a bit early because the surface treatment of the sculpt and the materials aren't yet representative of what I was intending for the final model. I did get some awesome feedback and some nice paintovers though so I think the timing of the post really worked out! I'm excited about modeling the "Brutal" less armored version of this Skaarj.

Comment

I have to ask - is Garog a Skaarj Trooper or a Skaarj Warrior? According to his bio he's a Trooper with the drive of a Warrior, but way, wayyyyyyy too many people just want him to look like a stereotypical Warrior caste with green skin, when Troopers were a paler yellow or cyan blue. Green and brown belong to the Warrior caste. His tail is too long to be a trooper, he has no helmet or shoulder armour either, why even call him a Trooper at this point? As he is right now he's an awkward mashup of a Warrior, a Trooper, and a Hybrid from UT99. He really needs a classic Skaarj Trooper helmet if he wants to look the part.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey all, I've posted a rough based on Gooba's PO. I'm focusing on the big and medium shapes here so please excuse the hackery of the meshes. Some parts are ripped from Garog (Epic's Skaarj model). I'm fairly happy with the direction of the model but please don't hesitate to critique. I've got more freetime coming up so I'm looking forward to wrapping this model up. If you all are happy with the design I'll get cranking on making this guy really high quality.

Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!

-Joeliepoo

Attached Files

Comment

good work

Comment

This is ART!!! Simply ...beautiful!
                  Even so He can't use his blades in the tournament, for taunts can he pose with them.
                  I really like how you implemented the war-paint on his shoulder.
                  This guy is ready to bite some heads off.

I can't imagine what could be optimized ...maybe later. Right now I'm in awe.
                  Last edited by papercoffee; 11-26-2015, 03:53 PM.
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Wow, that's some impressive job at intercorporating wishes from devs and forums ppl. Looks like super pro work to me.

Comment

I liked the masks you did a while back, gave him a more sinister look, perhaps it was simply the addition of colour
                      Nice work man, it looks amazing

Comment

Oh yeah, we lookin' MEAN now!! Love the "thickness" overall. The face / neck / jaw / mandibles look frightening, and the paint looks very "Tolkien" Orcish. Arm blade looks super nice, too. Skaarj for the most part just deserve to be shirtless.

I'd buy that for 5 dollars!!
                        ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                        Frag video featuring Rookie
                        Frag video featuring Phantaci
                        Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

That looks amazing, thanks for the update and keep up the great work.

Comment

wowowow fantastic!!

Comment

Mind blowing work !!! This is best Skaarj model so far, Epic work, seriously
                              Stevie's corner
                              My UT4 maps
                              Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Insane, pro work Joeliepoo! Man, I wish I could use those arm blades in action...
                                Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Working...
                                X