Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really happy you guys like the model, I was a bit worried you might not like it! Thanks for the feedback and for your enthusiasm! That stuff keeps me motivated. I'll be working on textures and lowpoly work for this Skaarj starting tomorrow. My posts have been pretty spread out over time but I'll post more frequently over the lowpoly and texturing phase.

As for the eyes.... I thought I wouldn't like vertical standard-reptilian look but it's def growing one me. I know it's what is expected....that's why I went the other way with it. I wanted to make him more alien and less reptile dude. I really didn't see them as goat eyes and that's certainly is not what I intended. Perhaps it it's just the way I executed the look I was trying to get. I'll do some playing around with it soon, but why not have both? If it can be hooked up in game as a customization option everybody wins! I can certainly handle making both versions no problem. I'll need to touch base with the Epic guys about stuff like that. I'll need to chat with them anyways regarding the technical specifics of the lowpoly mesh. The dredds and cloth have me a bit concerned but I know how they handled Garog's dredds. Hair and cloth are always tricky. I'm sure if I did some light digging I'll find an Epic wiki on such things. Seems like they have a Wiki for everything.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Shkikri View Post
      Before

After

What do you think ?
      Before: goat. After: cat. Nyaaaa...

Comment

I do want deep customization to be added, I want a thing where, in your player menu, you have a model submenu, and there, you custom it like a car in a tunning game.

You chouse a specie, male or female, personality (animation set and fitting quotes (wise warior, arrogant youngster, space gangster, unwilling gladiator, etc...)), body type, body parts (eyes, nose, hand, hairs, scale patterns, these kind of things (we can add more things like, cybernetic implents, wounds, like, if I want, I can make a bunty hunter girl with a missing eye and a big skaarj blade scare on it's face, and a paire of cool sunglasses to hide the missing eye)), colors, clothings.

PS : More and more I look at original and edited eyes, and I have the wierd feeling that the edited one seems a bit more inteligent.

PPS : Just added two others by curiosity :

Human/Hybrid

Implants

I really like the cyber ones.
        Last edited by Shkikri; 03-12-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

The model fits the current UT character proportions to answer your question @cafe. In it's current state however the legs are spread a bit and the arms posed a touch just to make the model look more natural. It's tough for me to gauge the character "feel" when in a very unnatural stiff pose so I bend the rules a bit in the beginning stages of modeling. As I get the model ready for the game I'll bring the pose back to Epic's neutral pose. I feel that when I do things this way models tend to feel more natural even after brought to stiff rigging pose.

As for ultra customization: I think that the more customize-able the more generic the character has to be. I might be the minority when it comes to this but I feel that striking a balance between uniqueness and customize-ability is the way to go. That means having a fairly unique base for a character with some swappable or additive elements like hats and helmets, glasses and goggles, masks, skins, and possibly some armor bits when convenient. That's pretty much what Epic has at the moment but a bit more customize-able functionality would be cool! That's just my opinion though. Stuff like that requires no small amount of planning though and sounds like the UT team is pretty small.

As for peoples' comments on the model I have to give credit where credit is due. I've been given a lot of great feedback through this forum and it has really helped guide modeling decisions. I think it's the reason people are pretty happy with this character. I have to shout out to @Gooba and @Sly. Sly helped to nudge the face towards it's current look and Gooba provided a great PO with nice large reads and added silhouette value. Thanks guys! I do think the model needs a bit more wear n tear to give him a bit more barbaric, savage look compared to Garog but seems like we're on the right track with this!

Comment

Customisation don't make characters generic, it just depend on the option you give to the player, if you let them choose some goofy face and stuff like that, you'll see that some original players will choose them and have goffy face super skinny guys in pink armors with kittens tatoo on each arms, stuff like that.

What do you think of the two pictures I made ? (not quality wise, but idea/imagining it in a properly done way wise.)

Some stuff player made in various character customisation menus.

Spoiler

For poeple who want to say that proper robots or skaarjs, or any non human characters customization, is impossible.

Spoiler

PS : On the other side, I totally can understand the time, or too small dev team argument, to me, it kinda sound legit, but also a bit sad.
            Last edited by Shkikri; 03-12-2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeliepoo View Post
              As for ultra customization: I think that the more customize-able the more generic the character has to be. I might be the minority when it comes to this but I feel that striking a balance between uniqueness and customize-ability is the way to go. That means having a fairly unique base for a character with some swappable or additive elements like hats and helmets, glasses and goggles, masks, skins, and possibly some armor bits when convenient. That's pretty much what Epic has at the moment but a bit more customize-able functionality would be cool!
              It is the same thing that happens with Dota2 in terms of customization, I think.

By the way, I noticed that some hats and glasses doesn't fit well with Garog and Visse models. This issue should happen with this Skaarj model, too.

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
              Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by Joeliepoo View Post
                [...] As for peoples' comments on the model I have to give credit where credit is due.
                [...]
                Thanks guys! I do think the model needs a bit more wear n tear to give him a bit more barbaric, savage look compared to Garog but seems like we're on the right track with this!
                No, thanks to you for the credit. The model looks stunning in its current state, I'm really amazed how it turned out and am looking forward to see it ingame!

As for the barbaric look, (if you want to enhance that) my suggestion would be to give him some scars for the rough and tough "I've gone through many battles and claw fights" look. I think this is also another nice way of potential customization: Turning scars on and off on various spots of his body. Part of that customization could be a big double-scar all through his face. Think of it as the consequences of a razik fight and you'll know what I mean. Bonus points if marketplace content could fill in the eye with an implant or half-visor style attachment. There's really a lot you can do there!

I'll also have to say that I'm quite fond of the horizontal eyes as opposed to vertical ones. The vertical reptilian eyes feel too "earth-like" to me, the ones it has right now however add a certain alien value to it as has been stated before. I'd be for keeping them. Eventually they can simply be tweaked a bit in appearance.
                Keep rocking, [MENTION=47186]Joeliepoo[/MENTION]!
                S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                  We need a jaw dropping smiley
                  Best I've got on hand is this "Wow!"
                  Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Tail should be like a length between Warrior and Trooper if its a Hybrid, though if Garog is a trooper then shouldn't his tail be a bit stubby?

Warriors got that long lizard tail.

That sounded kinda dirty. XD

Comment

cat style eyes are definitely the most suitable by a landslide.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Yes, more like reptilian as a skaarj look like that. When is this going in-game? I can't wait argh!
                        -Fn>Metalfist
                        ---------------------
                        Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Hey guys thanks again for the feedback. I'm currently working with Epic to get the game model nailed down. Thanks!

Comment

Do you work with Epic on another Skaarj Char?

Comment

No just this one so far (above)

Comment

Good !
                                I hope you'll take some ideas from this model too :
                                https://t.co/nIFgRnkIzC
                                I like the leather + metal combination on this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X