Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ace paiontovers jayhawk and thatscrawnykid !

Did this after work cos I was a bit hyped about the paintover

folio

Comment

**** seth that's nice. You guys are all fantastic. Great to see. Some of the artists here are getting very excited.

-Chris

Comment

This thread is amazing! You have done some incredible work guys.
        Stacey Conley
        -----------------------------
        Unreal Tournament Community Manager
        Epic Games, Inc.
        Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

There's a difference between large traps and the traps showing behind the head because his stance is hunched over. The hunched stance makes them appear too primitive and monstrous rather than an intelligent race imo. But the large traps in a more upright position gives the appearance of both menace and intelligent cunning - like the Cardassians in Star Trek, for example:

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I much prefer the hunched - predatory look - as if evolved from a raptor like species. The closer you push to upright human proportions in the body and face you end up with "human in lizard mask" like these fellas ^ and that's a bit less interesting to work on imo.

seth. - Nice skin work!
            Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post
              The closer you push to upright human proportions in the body and face you end up with "human in lizard mask" like these fellas ^ and that's a bit less interesting to work on imo.
              Budget and technology probably had something to do with their look too. But I just meant it as an example.

Thought I'd have a go at sketching out a Skaarj Hybrid, which haven't been covered much yet. Always preferred them to the normal skaarj myself, and they possess more of this characteristic:

Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 05-30-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Wow... This thread really took off!
                Excellent work to all you guys making sketches and good stuff on the feedback from everyone.
                MyArtstation
                @jayoplus

Comment

Hello!

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you all on the models so far. I'm blown away at the talent at display here, and I'm glad to see that amazing artists dedicate themselves to the vision of a worthy Skaarj model in the new Unreal Tournament. I love what you've done so far, and it certainly comes close to the concept art in the OP.

As a fan of the old Unreal, I'm here to give you more references of the Unreal 1 Skaarj to work with, and perhaps convince even Epic devs to dwell in memories for a little.

In the original Unreal, the Skaarj were a cunning, ruthless and technologically advanced race of industrial slavers, who used Na Pali - the game's planet location - and its tribal natives for cold and calculated strip mining operations. While they're shown to be highly nimble and athletic, the primary mark that differentiates them from other adversaries of the game is their intelligence. Unlike most other enemies, Skaarj are able to dodge your projectiles with swift rolls, to decide whether to engage you in melee or ranged combat with the energy weapons built in their claws, and easily find their way around the map to attack you, alert friends et cetera.

This is reflected in their appearance and stature.

Depicted: The Skaarj Scout, Warrior, Assassin and Lord, in different animation states

As we can see, their stature is straight, muscular, imposingly masculine and commands respect - particularly in the default "Breath" animation on the Skaarj Scout - but limited in brutishness and animal wildness. While there's many signs of reptilian/lizard heritage, the evolved Skaarj is very humanoid in nature. The most defining features of their heads are the forward-leaning, convex structure, (fairly short) tusks, the awesome dreadlocks as well as a massively furrowed brow which gives them a vicious and hostile, but cunning appearance. Their necks and backs also show unique tube-like segments which further serve to define their unique looks.

While the simplest Skaarj Warrior is fully unarmored, the more advanced classes in more and more 'leading' positions receive more extravagant armor and weapons. You can clearly see that the Lord and Assassin are fully covered in layered, segmented armor which is not only unique in appearance, but also removes them far from UT2004's and UT3's tribalistic brute monsters. The armor seems polished, partially even grafted into their skin (Low-res textures are hard to read) and generally of high quality.

And this is just the highest-class members of the warrior caste, which operate mainly via melee. If we look at the more technically oriented side of the Skaarj race, technicians and gunners...

...we can see that they are even further removed from the monstrous, animal depictions of later games (as well as the concept arts and models in this thread). They wear full body armor, skin-covering suits and even chop off/tuck away their dreadlocks for long helmets (better visible from a profile view). Their silhouettes are scrawnier, but reasonably humanoid, their tails are either cut off or under-evolved, and most of their physique (even faces) is obscured by the clothing they wear. These members of the Skaarj occupation wield the same weapons as the player, and are generally found operating terminals and otherwise fulfilling more technical tasks, hinting at a warrior/technician caste system in Skaarj society.

Finally, there is...

...the Warlord, the pinnacle of Skaarj society, mates to the Skaarj Queen and shining examples of optimal Skaarj physique. They maintain the same facial features as other Skaarj variants, while being just that much more formidable through their powerful, commanding stature, their prolonged tusks and skull structure as well as their wings (which don't make all that much sense, but this is a boss encounter).

TL;DR: The Skaarj are traditionally a ruthless and cruel, but at the same time proud, cunning and highly intelligent race. They would be perfect participants in the Liandri Tournament due to their physical and mental abilities, and if depicted in the 'oldschool' way, would not have any considerable hitbox differences from human player models. While the concepts and models showcased so far are definitely amazing from a technical point of view, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your stance on making Skaarj seem like a hulking, brutish, primitive race of grunting "space ork" bullies in Mad Max leather armor. The stances, proportions and skull structures so far are far away from the original vision, and while it's perfectly fine to re-invent and stray from old formulae, I don't think Unreal Tournament would benefit from 'generic primitive lizard monster' as much as it would from an interpretation more true to the roots, and I hope that you agree and can implement elements from the original design - most importantly in skull structure and facial proportions. Please try to give their faces a semblance of intellect and elusive mystery, rather than going for deliberately ugly and brutish shapes. I feel thatscrawnyki (Incredibly close armor!!!), seth. and this picture by TeriyakiStyle are particularly approaching good Skaarj styles, though there's still work to do.

Thank you for reading!

More reference screenshots:
                  Warrior caste: frontal view
                  Warrior caste: profile view
                  Warrior caste: back view
                  Warrior caste: closeup
                  Warrior caste: closeup

Trooper caste: frontal view
                  Trooper caste: back view

Warlord: frontal view
                  Warlord: profile view

EDIT: I should clarify that I mainly take issue with TeriyakiStyle's renders so far. The original OP concept art isn't very close to the original style, however it shows a lithe and cunning creature with an interesting and unique head shape, which could do as a respectable re-imagination of the race. This picture, sadly, evokes more of a Gears of War beeftrain space ork feeling, particularly in its facial structure and lack of unique Skaarj features like the segmented neck shapes and carapaced tail. The rest of it looks pretty neat!
                  Last edited by ividyon; 05-30-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post
                    I much prefer the hunched - predatory look - as if evolved from a raptor like species. The closer you push to upright human proportions in the body and face you end up with "human in lizard mask" like these fellas ^ and that's a bit less interesting to work on imo.

seth. - Nice skin work!
                    I agree for the sake of the artwork, but you have to factor in that any character model that is very different in proportions than the norm will end up being ignored by players wanting to force models to have consistency. If you look at the Krall in UT3, they looked really cool, but they had heads in totally different locations than every other model and they had different movement animations. The hitbox was the same, but the model proportions to that hitbox changed. This caused people to force models. Same thing happened in UT2004 when a few models were really dark or something else was significantly different than the majority.

Personally, if I'm going to put a lot of work into a character, I'd much rather people use it than take a quick look. I'm thinking about creating a proportion guideline over the next few days and getting feedback from everyone one here. Maybe we can get a proportion setup that will fit all kinds of creatures that isn't too limiting. I'll probably do it in Zbrush so artists can grab it and use it as reference if we find a common ground everyone can appreciate.
                    Watch Brizz juggle 10 cats on www.beyondunreal.com
                    #beyondunreal - come yell at each other in real time!
                    #ue4bu - for specific UE4 talk

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                      Budget and technology probably had something to do with their look too. But I just meant it as an example.

Thought I'd have a go at sketching out a Skaarj Hybrid, which haven't been covered much yet. Always preferred them to the normal skaarj myself, and they possess more of this characteristic:

I like this one a lot.
                      • GOTY Skaarj was more human in form. The original body is better than an alligator or lizard IMO.
                      • Short tail is better IMHO, like GOTY.
                      • He stood tall and arched slightly backward in GOTY.
                      • GOTY emphasized his taller height and powerful looking upper body
                      • Skaarj was 2 heads taller than humans, if I remember
                      • I really liked the glowing, gold eyes of the GOTY Skaarj. Perhaps they should be larger in the game, so we can see them from afar?
                      Last edited by LoveFest; 05-31-2014, 02:01 AM.

Comment

The reference material is very cool guys. I love seeing all the different variations of Skaarj.

It's important to keep in mind we are not remaking Unreal. The Skaarj we are designing will be unique to our game. There will most likely be many shapes and sizes. If you have a favorite then figure out how to produce it. Draw, model, etc.

It's more than ok if we deviate from the original designs as long as we hold onto some of the original DNA. IMO we should be going for a more modern, updated look with everything we attempt.

-Chris

Comment

I took my Skaarj Hybrid sketch subtly in a direction it never went with UT, but sticking closely to both its laws and those of the original Skaarj.

Original Skaarj features:
                          -lower teeth more prominent/jutting
                          -raised nose
                          -stretched and wrinkly looking philtrum area (above the mouth)
                          -cranial stubs of horns, rather than full fledged - much like the hybrids in UT had much shorter tusks but they were still there.

Hybrid features:
                          -More upright
                          -Glowing eyes in larger eye sockets
                          -More humanoid head and mouth shape
                          -Subtle fold over ear canal hinting at ears but not full on
                          -Tall, sleek traps

So, I would say it is a progression, and fleshed out in higher detail / realism, hopefully it would be considered a "modern" take on it.

Comment

Well dang, so much cool stuff here... and TeriyakiStyle beat me to a lot of the changes I made for this one. I wanted to give it a much more intelligent look. Huzzah!

Click image for larger version

Name:	skaarj_bust2.png
Views:	2
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	328821
                            Last edited by Gooba; 05-31-2014, 04:36 AM.
                            Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Seth and TeriyakiStyle, great job on the latest updates. Really starting to feel a new Skarrj emerge. Keep at it guys !

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Perna View Post
                                It's important to keep in mind we are not remaking Unreal. The Skaarj we are designing will be unique to our game. There will most likely be many shapes and sizes. If you have a favorite then figure out how to produce it. Draw, model, etc.

It's more than ok if we deviate from the original designs as long as we hold onto some of the original DNA. IMO we should be going for a more modern, updated look with everything we attempt.

-Chris
                                I feel the same way. The original DNA of the Skaarj reminded me most of kind of American Indian warrior vibe than alligators or lizards: "I wear war paint, not armor." (seems strange seeing Skaarj in full body armor.He went bare skinned into battle, like an American Indian. They had powerful looking upper body strength (V shaped Lats), GOTY Skaarj stood tall and fearless, sticking their chests out at you, like "I don't need to crouch, I am a Skaarj."

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                                I took my Skaarj Hybrid sketch subtly in a direction it never went with UT, but sticking closely to both its laws and those of the original Skaarj.

Original Skaarj features:
                                -lower teeth more prominent/jutting
                                -raised nose
                                -stretched and wrinkly looking philtrum area (above the mouth)
                                -cranial stubs of horns, rather than full fledged - much like the hybrids in UT had much shorter tusks but they were still there.

Hybrid features:
                                -More upright
                                -Glowing eyes in larger eye sockets
                                -More humanoid head and mouth shape
                                -Subtle fold over ear canal hinting at ears but not full on
                                -Tall, sleek traps

So, I would say it is a progression, and fleshed out in higher detail / realism, hopefully it would be considered a "modern" take on it.
                                I think you've hit many of the key aspects.
                                • Keep the eye sockets large so we can see them in the game.
                                Last edited by LoveFest; 05-31-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X