• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post
    Originally posted by Gooba View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4260[/ATTACH]
    Haven't seen this amount of awesomeness in a while. Being a big alien and UT fan, I think even just these would be quite enough.
    Seeing the hybrids back is so encouraging. I've missed them ever since next UT game, I remember there were some remakes but not quite satisfying imo. If they end up looking like on that drawing, well that'd be awesome, nothing else needed to say! I'd just note that they had three versions in UT99 but I believe everyone already knows that.
    Gooba, I think you should really try Gen Mo Kai race too, as someone above said. Those facial features are quite complicated and Gen Mo Kai's indeed need that, from their structure to texture itself, also their masks and dreadlocks.
    As of Skaarj himself, only thing that bugs me a little are those tusks. Not quite skaarj-ish, but don't get me wrong, they look quite good and I appreciate your effort. Dreadlocks are perfect imo.

Good job everyone!

Comment

Oh yeah! Bad *** concept!

Comment

Hi, great stuff on this thread! Was poking around on forums because I was interested in learning the UE4 character workflow and happened on this thread. Saw the concept and kinda got excited and jumped right in to do a quick design sculpt. I know there has been talk about original look and game play functionality such as "hit box", (didn't really read through all the threads until now. Guess I got too excited before I started ) but since this is just for fun and kinda stuck to more of concept posted by Chris. Click image for larger version

Name:	characterStrip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	328850

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Perna View Post
          The reference material is very cool guys. I love seeing all the different variations of Skaarj.

It's important to keep in mind we are not remaking Unreal. The Skaarj we are designing will be unique to our game. There will most likely be many shapes and sizes. If you have a favorite then figure out how to produce it. Draw, model, etc.

It's more than ok if we deviate from the original designs as long as we hold onto some of the original DNA. IMO we should be going for a more modern, updated look with everything we attempt.

-Chris
          Hey Chris, I hope you don't mind me referencing back again to original stuff but I just wanted to take some cues from the old that I feel can be recognized into a new izardlike model you started the thread with.

After doing some side by side comparisons, I really like what some of the people have come up with here, particularly seth's and Teriaki's work. However, there are a few thing's that I admire from the original form. The more upright position, with chest outward and thick arching trapezius muscle's with the wider athletic stance and thick razer's protruding from both forearm's have a more intimidating warrior-like look. The glowing eye's among the unique facial feature's lend itself to mystery while the messy dread's in the rear add an element of ruggedness these cold and intelligent killer's. If the leg's in current concept's were less bent by nature and a shorter torso, less hunched, I think it would maintain some dna. I think more can be done around the armor to help modernize as well. I think blade's that were more integrated into the arms and less protruding would also help bring things forward.

Anyways, that's my 2 cent's on it. I'm sure whatever the final product may be it'll still be quality work but hopefully there can be some more emphasis on where I feel thing's stand out better.

Last edited by xios; 06-02-2014, 06:53 PM.
          irc.globalgamers.net | #2k4ctf |#ut4pugs | #unrealtournament | Ownedwell.com | UT2004 Grail

Comment

This is awesome man. Love the originality, while maintaining some original DNA.
            Also more humanoid so better for hitbox.

Would love to see you do Xan...
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
              Revised the design a bit... since it wasn't supposed to look female, haha.

Made him look a bit more grim, added some more spikes and bigger neck etc...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4260[/ATTACH]

Looks awesome. I like the colors as well as the design!

Comment

Wow, some great stuff in here! Thought I would throw my hat into the ring. As a fan of the original, my memory is quite a bit different of the game than what it looks when playing now. So I decided to do an 'old school' design trying to give honor to the original design... and how I remembered what the Skaarj looked like using the magic of time that anti-aliases everything. It looks like I'm not the only person here who liked the simplicity and iconic silhouette of the original. If it ain't broke...

Inspiration from various sources like (of course) the original Skaarj models, Predators, Planet Hulk and The Swamp Thing.

Critiques welcome!

for a better view of the image (the attachment seems to be re-sizing the image) http://aopaul.deviantart.com/art/Unr...=1&ga_recent=1
                Last edited by pervomonkey; 06-06-2014, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pervomonkey View Post
                  If it ain't broke...

Inspiration from various sources like (of course) the original Skaarj models, Predators, Planet Hulk and The Swamp Thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4324[/ATTACH]

Critiques welcome!
                  The proportions and silhouette of this sketch are exactly how I imagine the Skaarj when I think about them. Good job, I think you nailed that variation. Easily, a contender. Show us 'MORE', maybe of the face. It looks good from the side.
                  a.k.a Gunner77

Comment

Hi guys, first post in there. I'm Renny, an italian comic artist and long time fan of the unreal saga.

Keeping an eye on this thread for a while and i finally decided to chime in with a few sketches.

This is my take on the skaarj. The basic idea is to mantain the most recognizable aspects of the very first skaarj from unreal and modernize all the low poly shapes.

I tried to use a more "shark head" look for my design because -in my opinion- makes them more aggressive and allowed me to use their forehead to highlight the thing that makes them recognizable on every design iteration they had over the years (except for UC2, maybe): the stripe of brighter scales used as eyebrows.
                    One of the most interesting point of the U1 skaarj was that they had those scales even on the shoulders. That "A" shape around their head was very iconic of them so i tried to mantain that exact shape making a unique stripe of scales all around.

I also tried to play with the tusks, i like them to be compact and that they don't interfere with the mouth or cover too much face. They should just be another thing that makes them recognizable and adds some interesting shapes to their head without competing for attention with the face as a whole.

As for the rhino variant... i think i overdid that front horn, it should probably be smaller... XD

Any thoughts?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SgtRenny; 06-03-2014, 11:49 AM. Reason: fullsize img instead of attached
                    uWarfare :: Website :: devART :: Italian UEd Community @ Exiles of UEd

Comment

Hmm... SgtRenny wins... especially with that top variant.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRenny View Post
                        I tried to use a more "shark head" look for my design...
                        Any thoughts?
                        Actually looks great! It definitely adds some charisma. Straightforward cold & scornful look, just as it should be
                        One of my favorite portraits so far

Comment

Any thoughts?
                          Definitely excellent faces you have there, I personally like first one the most, though I don't know why I'm reminded of warhammer a bit now (tyranids..)
                          Heh and love that evil smile each of them have.

Comment

Not bad indeed. Though the brow with large scales on top and sharkish look reminds me of the Krogan a bit too much...
                            Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                            My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Good to emphasized on the brow. Maybe too much spiky, once it's tuned down and add some more flesh here and there, it can be a great successor!

Comment

I LOVE it! This is EXACTLY what I'd imagine a new Skaarj's face to look like. The regular variant is the most appealing to me. You've kept all the most unique parts of Skaarj head design and made them even more iconic!

Absolutely wonderful! Please use this concept as inspiration, guys.

EDIT: The Krogan comparison has a point. I suggest not extending the brow carapace all the way towards the back, and keeping it at one tidy brow/forehead plating instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X