Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Liandri robots

Hi there,

I started this sketch today. I was just thinking Liandri robots may look sci-fi robot character like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	958.9 KB
ID:	352532

Cheers,
    codex
    I love Unreal, and I love art. Being in paradise..

Looks nice I think they should bring back the 2k4 models too maybe since IMO those looked better than the robots in UT3.

Comment

Looks pretty sweet, reminds me a lot of the UT'99 robot design.

Once I've solidified some of my ideas I'll bring them here to bounce off of people, until then I'll just give my two cents on robot design.

My ideas for a robot seem to centralize around the idea of it clearly being a robot, but still having human like characteristics (which are of course, is needed in a game like this anyways). Heavy plates of metal cover the areas that don't involve a lot of movement; the chest, forearms, thighs, etc. but the joints are exposed. I don't mean that in a vulnerable way, don't want robots that look like they're about to fall apart, but that feeling like you saw something you weren't supposed to there. Those joints have clear hinges but also wiring or tubes that mesh together to make an appearance similar to muscle underneath. A good example I feel like a lot of people are familiar with would be the Geth from Mass Effect.

The Geth also present something I'm not particularly fond of when it comes to robots, the flash light heads. UT 3's Liandri robots also had these and I personally feel like they just suck all the personality from them. That's not to say every robot needs a clear face (like Cathode or Matrix) but having such a prominent object take up that position on multiple robot faces is simply bland. UT2004 had a good variety of robots; http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Blood_Fist and is really all I can do to put what I'm trying to say to words here.

Comment

I like the design! Indeed reminds me of War Machines from UT99. I loved all that cyborg gladiator theme in final ladder. We need them back in new UT!
        Liandri could both have cyborgs and robots though!
        Originally posted by DeadSImple View Post
        UT2004 had a good variety of robots; http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Blood_Fist and is really all I can do to put what I'm trying to say to words here.
        'nuff said. I just want to add that these beauties were introduced in UT2003 while UT2004 added the crappy ones

Comment

UT99 warmachines differs greatly from ut2004 and ut3 ones. UT99 ones are actually more humanoid, ut2004 and ut3 ones are clearly 'bot' like machines with no hint of being human-like. I'm really digging ut99 ones too but I think they're more comparable with androids/cyborgs of ut2004 (cathode, divisor and so on). I actually think that in the lore UT99 warmachines somewhat evolved into cyborgs in UT2004 (Cathode, Divisor and so on). And then Liandribots are joined later on. There's a good chance of having both within the next UT, cyborgs as UT99 warmachine-likeness and Liandribots as blatant machine looking dummies.
          Last edited by igi; 05-28-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Thank you for giving me feedback. I'm working on this one, but started a weapon concept as well.

Comment

Originally posted by codexe View Post
              Hi there,

I started this sketch today. I was just thinking Liandri robots may look sci-fi robot character like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3778[/ATTACH]

Cheers,
              codex
              In my opinion, i more liked the robots of UT2004. They can be more free in construct and not just be humanlike form. Robot just be a robot, not a totally(!) human shaped thing.

Comment

One thing I liked about the UT1 war machines over UT2004 robots is just how menacing they looked. Terminator-style. While the UT2004 robots are just that, robots. And the UT3 robots are either dolls or vacuum cleaners...
                Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  One thing I liked about the UT1 war machines over UT2004 robots is just how menacing they looked. Terminator-style. While the UT2004 robots are just that, robots. And the UT3 robots are either dolls or vacuum cleaners...
                  I liked how whimsically unintimidating the Liandri bots looks in UT3. It gave some relief from the heavy seriousness of the rest of the game. However, there's no reason to say we couldn't have both kinds of robots in the game.

Cool sketch!

Comment

We've got some work done there ! this concept is very cool man !

I love the details you've made, but maybe it would benefit from more aggressive overall shapes.
                    at your blocking stage, I advice you to get rid of that organic feel.
                    Your design makes me think as a hybrid between a DeusEx augmentation and a Crysis nanosuit.

Here is some bots which illustrates pretty well the concept :
                    here for the global shape
                    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2062085
                    this one have intersting eyes and face/
                    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...postcount=5417
                    Yup, proudly writing in European B2-class English.
                    All grammar mistakes are under copyright protection from my english teacher. Thank you for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Karton View Post
                      We've got some work done there ! this concept is very cool man !

I love the details you've made, but maybe it would benefit from more aggressive overall shapes.
                      at your blocking stage, I advice you to get rid of that organic feel.
                      Your design makes me think as a hybrid between a DeusEx augmentation and a Crysis nanosuit.

Here is some bots which illustrates pretty well the concept :
                      here for the global shape
                      http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2062085
                      this one have intersting eyes and face/
                      http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...postcount=5417
                      Final version will not match any of them. However I think not macthing now as well.

Comment

I'm lacking of time now, lot of projects running, but I'll return to this one as soon as I can.

Comment

This looks cool! Off to a good start. It looks a bit more cybernetic than robot to me at this point. Looking at it I thought of Terminator honestly. Robot I know but... for a robot its just a little too humanoid I think.

The silhouette looks good and the proportions look good as well. I just think it be more mechanical if robot is what your going for.

Comment

I like it.
                            It reminds me a lot of Warmachines from UT99.

I don't think that this excludes it being a robot considering that if they really wanted to send in something deadly into the Tournament, they would just send a robot that is equal to a tank. After all, Liandri is the founder of the Grand Tournament and they would probably just break the action and lose watchers if they didn't make human-resembling robots to give the other human combatants at least some chance. Otherwise, there would also be no reason to put their "brain" into their head but rather secure it somewhere else and/or scatter it inside their bodies to avoid a one-shot-one-kill situation of the Sniper Rifle as they could just fight on without their head.
                            Of course this doesn't exclude more abstract looking robots with something similar to human proportions (see UT2 and UT3).
                            Last edited by Sly.; 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM.
                            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by codexe View Post
                              Hi there,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3778[/ATTACH]

Cheers,
                              codex
                              I think that Xan Kriegor should be returned as one of the liandri as awesome and hard as he was. But I like the idea. I also think that _RapTOR_ 's idea would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X