M4l-c0m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] M4l-c0m

I'm toying with the idea that Malcom was somehow stolen, killed, spawn-jacked, cloned or whatever. In this concept, he is a "bad guy", re-tooled with cybernetics and brainwashed by some "bad guy" group. (forgive me for not finishing the hands or armor.) If there's interest, I can spend more time on this design.

For your consideration, here's the previous Malcoms:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Malcom bodies.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	352538

I don't think I nailed the face, that can be fixed later. I don't agree with the design for his face in UT3: He looks more realistic and aged to fit the story, but lost that chiseled look of the previous games. I sketched other more modern high tech designs for his arm, but decided an old school metal arm was best. And what's an arm without a really obvious bionic eye? I also think a chest tattoo is in order, but that kind of depends on what lore is used. I like the idea of whoever that (re)built him branding him with their company/group name, or something edgy/cliche like REBORN or SAVE ME crudely carved in. Overall, I'm trying to stick with a 90s comic/movie badass look while still being modern enough.

Other thoughts:
    Tattered shirt rags hanging off his waist, might look too busy.
    Like the brain, I'd like to keep the spine exposed, covered by glass to keep the cyber look from behind.
    On the other hand, he needs his signature Beret and glasses. That nixes the brain, and I think a glowing eye from the behind the glasses would work too.

So... Bad idea in concept, or bad idea in execution/presentation?

Comment

I think it's kind of a neat idea. Sorry you're not getting feedback on it, I was planning on giving you some earlier. People just aren't responding to a lot of concepts, for whatever reason. I had the same thing happen with my "Mothball" character.

You're going in the right direction with the face, in fact I agree with you totally on his aged up look in the last game. Was kind of like it wasn't really Malcolm anymore.

Depending on where you go with it, it could be a really neat character especially as a clone experiment or something.

Don't take this the wrong way but I kind of laughed when I was watching an old episode of TMNT 2003 which had Baxter Stockman after I first saw this thread:

Honestly, keep at it. My biggest suggestions would be to tone down the thighs and do something cool with his chest area. Try to accessorize him a little so it's not so plain.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Dude, cyborg-Malcolm is ripped.
        Dueling Flak Cannons
        We see the shells falling
        Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          I think it's kind of a neat idea. Sorry you're not getting feedback on it, I was planning on giving you some earlier. People just aren't responding to a lot of concepts, for whatever reason. I had the same thing happen with my "Mothball" character.

You're going in the right direction with the face, in fact I agree with you totally on his aged up look in the last game. Was kind of like it wasn't really Malcolm anymore.

Depending on where you go with it, it could be a really neat character especially as a clone experiment or something.

Don't take this the wrong way but I kind of laughed when I was watching an old episode of TMNT 2003 which had Baxter Stockman after I first saw this thread:

-snip-

Honestly, keep at it. My biggest suggestions would be to tone down the thighs and do something cool with his chest area. Try to accessorize him a little so it's not so plain.
          There aren't that many of us commenting in the art section, it's to be expected. Higher quality art or really solid ideas tend to get more attention. I haven't given all the feedback that I probably should too.

My brother's first response was KANO! (mortal kombat), so between the two of you, I think I'm pulling the right string on the cheesy vibe, I just don't know if that's what UT needs?

I'll try and revisit this soon-ish with your crits in mind, thanks!

Comment

I like the old school cheese too, like 90's scifi and stuff, I think there should be a hint of it personally in all the design, but that's just me *shrug*

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I think you might want to really flesh out those story ideas more and it would inform your design decisions. I personally am not interested in revisiting the 90s or having cheesy stuff but having a great story behind why Malcolm is in this state could help develop this character. I know in the concept phase it's best to have many many thumbnail sketches rather than just one.

You are more likely to get feedback when presenting many options and avenues of development even if those paths are all similar to "cyborg Malcolm" you can take that in many surprising and fresh ways.

So I'd say - silhouette thumbnails - select some of those as your favorites and develop sketches.

Actually Chris Perna outlines their internal process in the OP of the Skaarj thread if you wanted to check that out.

Comment

Thanks Teriyaki, good points. I initially did start some thumbnails, but got enamored to "dude with a cyborg arm" from the start. Perhaps I'll rethink that.

Another more general question that popped up while I worked on this: Will we have returning characters?

Comment

Love that idea, I'd definitely see myself going for a badass evil malcolm in game.

Comment

Working...
                  X