Xan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Xan

I am doing things a bit outside the way I usually bash together mechanical designs, but I feel that it would be best to bash ideas alongside other artists so that this can be a bit more fun in general.

Updated 7/19/2014:

The general idea for his flow, in my opinion, should be more swept back in general. his head in each iteration has followed this idea, even going as far as to have a wing-like surface in his initial appearance in UT99. I am interested in continuing this flow to his whole body, for which I am taking reference from Five Star Stories' Mortar Headds for sleekness and form. the head at the moment is a placeholder, but I intend to take it into a direction similiar to that of the head on the left of the image. If at all possible, tonight or tomorrow I intend to hold an art stream so that there can be more direct communication on how to move forward.

Any thoughts so far on the sketch so far?
    Last edited by Gebloner; 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM.

It's hard to say much from it now as it's obviously at a very simplistic blocking out point and there isn't anything in terms of overall proportions to discuss. The chest looks rather narrow, but if he has huge arms then that would make sense, so everything has to be seen in context of other parts, at least loosely sketched.

Best I can say is it has potential, so keep it up and let's see where you go with it.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

will do a proper stream tomorrow. not thinking clearly tonight.

Comment

Current progress on design. effectively tossed out previous work and started from scratch.

-Focus so far is on the swept-back look of the head and attempting to bring that out to the entire body.
        -body shape is very lanky and thin compared to previous Xan incarnations. felt this might help to give a sense of agility.
        -Knight style gauntlets, braces, and lower leg armor. contrast to the very large, gladiatorial plate style of previous Xan models.
        -unsure on feet. feels too loose and unfocused compared to the rest. (never been good with feet honestly)
        -also unsure on the shoulders. does anyone have ideas on a better shape for them?

Any feedback on the form or any specific parts so far? It's very easy to make changes this early, so please feel free to say whatever you wish!

Comment

It looks nice I honestly wonder if you could take anything from the old "xan" skin from the original Unreal Tournament 1999 maybe a piece or 2 or mesh something in together but by far this looks good from what I see already.

Comment

I could try, but there's honestly very little to go on with his UT99 appearance. the main thing I took from it was the winglet on the head, which I made more prominent. (as well as carried it to the torso) I can always try to add more from that design as I move forward.

Any other comments, folks? The more critique, the better this can be!

Comment

I dont like the lower legs, I think they should be smaller in proportion to the rest of the drawing or maybe its the small upper legs that just makes the issue look worse. The boots could be alittle chunkier and I think the head is alittle too thin, it needs to be inline with humans so that the hitbox and silhouette are similar. I really like the upper body and arms, Im glad you moved those pipes off the shoulder onto the back area, you might even consider moving them to like a backpack more in the middle of his back. Keep experimenting, I think youre doing a good job

P.S, just imagine it with the green metal material in my sig
              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Do you mean that they should be smaller in scale, or just that the armor of the legs is too large as well? Also, when you say the head is too thin, do you mean in regards to the height or width? I can do something about those, but I'd just like a clarification.
                Last edited by Gebloner; 06-01-2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gebloner View Post
                  Do you mean that they should be smaller in scale, or just that the armor of the legs is too large as well? Also, when you say the head is too thin, do you mean in regards to the height or width? I can do something about those, but I'd just like a clarification.
                  The lower legs seem far too long, I think the knee might be more covered than what youve shown at that angle. The head is thin in height, I understand youre going for a slicker kind of look but I think it needs something in the jaw area
                  Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I think a longer torso would be better as well. Proportionally, it gives him more of a cartoony look, like a stretched out mega man. (though a heavier gun arm might look cool, as if to say that he's upgraded himself for high precision gunplay)

I'd say for the winglets, somewhere between the two profiles you've drawn. I like the torso vents, maybe you could reuse that idea for the calves too?

Comment

these all sound pretty easy to work into the design. I'll have a go at it tomorrow when I wake up!

Feel free to keep suggestions coming!
                      Last edited by Gebloner; 06-01-2014, 04:27 AM.

Comment

This is how Xan would appear in an anime!

Originally posted by Gebloner View Post

Comment

Sorry for the rather large delay getting back here. Summer never really does well with my ability to think.
                          But hey, some progress now. better late than never, right? Please leave comments, I'd really appreciate whatever you might have to say about this!

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Gebloner; 08-19-2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

At nearly 800 views, you'd think someone would atleast feel the need to tell me if this is boring, bad, good, making progress, or just getting worse. It's hard to progress on something when there's literally no feedback.

Comment

Gebloner, first off, thanks for the effort.
                              I really like the two antennas, or ears in the back of the head. I like the apleeseed look. In my opinion it resembles the other robot with those ears a bit too much(can t remember the name right now).
                              in my opinion xan is looking too manga-styled and to slim. I would have personally liked him a bit bigger and armoured looking...

Comment

Working...
                              X