Thunder Crash Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunder Crash Concept

Rough design for a member of the thunder crash team (possible Othello or Jakob), I general saw the thunder crash guys and hot-heads, with a emphasis on speed and maneuverability. With this in mind the UT3 Malcolm armor seemed too bulky, so I scaled it back quite a bit, taking more from the UT2004 designs. I also got rid of the exposed stomach and bumped the nut armor (our EOD guys had to wear that stuff and if was uncomfortable just looking at it) and gave them pants. Right now the colors are the biggest issue, so ill be trying to tweak them in the future, as well as adding shading. I also gave him some kind of pulse submachinegun variant, more for the ***** and giggles than anything else.

And comments and critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

I think this represents the original look of the Thundercrash very well. You did a great job on this one, the armor looks dynamic at least and suggest agility, unlike Malcolm's UT3 version (which rather suits someone who is passively on the battlefield rather than actively).

You've got an interesting art style!
    S l y .

Comment

very well done i am looking foward more of it

Comment

I would say this makes a better Jakob myself, its possible some story could be added, making Malcolm into some kind of mentor perhaps. I love this more militaristic look but I do think it could use alittle more scifi, you've done a great job, maybe its just the pockets and knife that makes it seem 80s scifi.
        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Decent concept! Captures the feeling that thunder crash should give off very well when it comes to character design. The concepts you have for guns are pretty cool too, would be neat seeing them in a mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
            But if every character is more sci-fi, then it becomes quickly very generic...
            Thats an opinion youre entitled to keep but I know alot of artists who would take insult to that. Its a scifi game and if everyone looks like 80's rambo rejects its gonna get old fast. Lets face it, the gold birds on the armour are just a Judge Dredd ripoff, who's generic now?
            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

it should be noted that this guy actually has fewer eagles on him than the UT2004 version, I was simply sticking with the established thunder-crash themes, rather than pulling from judge dredd or warhammer and such.

Comment

I like that a lot Melancon. Refreshing style you have there. Reminds me a lot of the stuff Bizley was doing for Lobo. (The style, not the concept) Great stuff.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Melancon View Post

Did anyone else instantly think of major lazer?
                  Must be the dreds and shades...and purple and...lazers.

3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

I like this design! Even though I didnt like how Malcolm was represened in UT3, this armor design/type with the golden eagle on the green armor-plate needs to return!
                    Maps:||DM-TournamentGrounds||CTF-TitanGuard||DM-RelentlessMachine||
                    Weapons:||Tridium Impaler||

Comment

Originally posted by Melancon View Post
                      it should be noted that this guy actually has fewer eagles on him than the UT2004 version, I was simply sticking with the established thunder-crash themes, rather than pulling from judge dredd or warhammer and such.
                      I actually really liked what you did with the shoulder pads, it took the direction away from the Judge Dredd ones more, Im just not sure about having them on the knee pads too. I personally dont know the connection between Thundercrash, Malcolm and the Eagles but Im sure there is some reasoning there, perhaps some all American hero cliche. When I look at the Bulletstorm character I dont see alot of scifi, I see more some post apocalyptic styling like madmax which is more of an alternate reality than a 2291+

Im not sure what significance the wreath plays either on the UT3 model, I personally like your proportions and styling better, Chris is certainly right about making the connection to Lobo. Makes you wonder why theres a lack of flak vests in UT on the topic of Judge Dredd, looking at the iteration in the latest movie

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        I personally dont know the connection between Thundercrash, Malcolm and the Eagles but Im sure there is some reasoning there, perhaps some all American hero cliche.
                        Actually it's quite evident within Unreal lore. The UMS was the pre-NEG Earth special forces. The UMS logo is an eagle. The NEG counterparts of the defunct UMS are the Marines and Thunder Crash. So it makes perfect sense for Thunder Crash to use eagles as their symbol.
                        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                          Actually it's quite evident within Unreal lore. The UMS was the pre-NEG Earth special forces. The UMS logo is an eagle. The NEG counterparts of the defunct UMS are the Marines and Thunder Crash. So it makes perfect sense for Thunder Crash to use eagles as their symbol.
                          The who? I thought the ships were named UMS like as in HMAS or USS, I didnt realize it was a military outfit. I do admit its been a long long time since I played the original Unreal but I guess that makes sense, I can think of one other significant usage of an eagle and a wreath, that could be why it sits in the front of my mind.

Comment

Its a common military symbol. The Roman legions used it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquila_(Roman)
                            The Byzantine empire used it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle
                            and I'm sure there are tons more. UMS is United Military Service. The Military of the NEG, and Thunder Crash is shown to be one of their units. "In one of the most daring acts of the mostly covert Corporation Wars, Izanagi Corporation's research facility on Lamdon 3 was raided and destroyed by a strike force from the Axon Research Corporation, despite the protection offered by the elite NEG ThunderCrash force. Axon was able to not only destroy the facility, but also retrieve the advanced plasma ion tank under development there."

And really, this series isn't super lore heavy, nor is it meant to be from all I can tell. It does just have some consistent themes and some interesting backdrops.
                            Last edited by Vailias; 07-01-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
                              UMS is United Military Service.
                              No, it's Unified Military Services.
                              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Working...
                              X