Metal Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Metal Guard

My fav team from UT99, Xan Kriegor's....bodyguards I think they were.
    I really wanted to update their look and streamline them, make them a tad bit more sporty.
    Got rid of the royalty look from ut99 and the knight look from ut2k4.

Traits I wanted to emulate from the team: (in this order)
    1: Elite
    2: Professionals
    3: Cold blooded
    4: Tactical
    5: Psychopathic but restrained/brainwashed (by Xan)
    7: Aggressive (just enough to chase you and only you across the map)
    Also got rid of the belt/pants to make them look taller, slimmer, more agile.

For the "skin" part, I tried to show that they're in full body suits. Can be cut of at parts to look more cool (fingerless gloves, sleeveless bodysuit etc.)

Wall of ref (cause I thoroughly enjoyed gathering refs for them).

Will post armor studies and variation as I get more time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CognizanCe1; 06-13-2014, 01:00 AM.
    3D Artist looking for work.

It'd be nice if the samaritan and infiltrator models (from Epic's tech demos) were in the game.

Comment

And that atomic warcow... just have to make it into the game
      **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
      64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
      READY.

Comment

I feel like moving away from the baroque, medieval-esque designs of these characters is losing an essential element of their character. My concern is based specifically on your concept images, which feature guys in plastic / kevlar armor, it's pretty apparent that the Metal Guard should be wearing metal and not sporty fitness/riot gear.

Comment

http://s26.postimg.org/tl5367aft/ori...etal_guard.jpg

On the left, one of the best and most popular UT99 skin types

In the middle... a bad guy from a korean manga?

And on the right is... uhm... something else

Please don't violate the metal guard, they've been through enough

Do this and you'll have all of our thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpySir View Post
            I feel like moving away from the baroque, medieval-esque designs of these characters is losing an essential element of their character.... it's pretty apparent that the Metal Guard should be wearing metal and not sporty fitness/riot gear.
            Their medieval look was not introduced until 2k4.
            Their original armor material seems to be cloth and kevlar.
            My belief in that is their S.W.A.T. like straps.
            The only thing metallic in the original UT99 guards are some gold trims and decorations.

-Keep in mind as well, according to UT99 lore, they were just brainwashed psychopaths.
            Not knights in any form.
            Last edited by CognizanCe1; 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Still, I agree with GrumpySir and tigerclaw. As much as I don't like doing this, I'll be brutally honest and say that I'm not sold on the direction you want to take this. It's not just the armor that takes away a lot of the thoroughly characteristic design of the classic armor, but given some of the character descriptions ("He'd rather tear you apart with your bare hands than shooting your from a distance") I think the slimmer, more agile body type wouldn't fit. On the contrary, if a character is described to convery a message that he'd rather tear my intestines out with his bare hands, I want him to look like he's actually strong enough to be able to rip me apart with his bare hands.
              Last edited by Joen; 06-13-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
                Their medieval look was not introduced until 2k4.
                Their original armor material seems to be cloth and kevlar.
                My belief in that is their S.W.A.T. like straps.
                The only thing metallic in the original UT99 guards are some gold trims and decorations.

-Keep in mind as well, according to UT99 lore, they were just brainwashed psychopaths.
                Not knights in any form.
                I feel like the medieval influence is very present in the original skin. You yourself recognize this when you say their coloration is royal. It's quite apparent in their intricate metal shoulderpads, forearm armor, and boots. UT2004 went a little over the top by literally giving the guy a medieval breastplate, but it's only overemphasizing design that was already present. Going for a modern bodysuit look is against the theme of these guys.

Comment

I feel like the medieval influence is very present in the original skin. You yourself recognize this when you say their coloration is royal.
                  Royal=/= Medieval
                  The UT99 version still looks modern enough to fit in a sci fi setting.

Going for a modern bodysuit look is against the theme of these guys.
                  I'll try a more leather looking body suit, or a SWAT like uniform if people insist to ditch the body suit completely (add pants, belt etc.) but I won't be presenting a knight in shining armor version.
                  Last edited by CognizanCe1; 06-13-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

It's less obvious because UT99 lacks specular shading, but the name "Metal Guard" alone should suggest their armor is predominately metal. It's somewhat more obvious on the female body armor that the blue shaded material is metallic.

Also, aside from Barktooth, the characters in the tournament ladder who use the metal guard skin are explicitly stated as being members of 'The Corrupt' (soldiers reprogrammed by Liandri and Xan for his amusement), and oftentimes part machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                      It's less obvious because UT99 lacks specular shading
                      Every other character had clear material definitions without specular shading.

This torso armor is cloth and metal.

This is mostly metal.

This is leather.

but the name "Metal Guard" alone should suggest their armor is predominately metal.
                      Did the red claw team have anything to do with red claws?
                      Did thunder crash have anything to do with thunder crashing?

It's somewhat more obvious on the female body armor that the blue shaded material is metallic.
                      Yes, it's obviously metallic because it's obviously metal (without the use of specular shading).

The men of the metal guard are obviously using a kevlar like material, decorated with metal trim/accents and strapped to them with non metal straps.

Also, aside from Barktooth, the characters in the tournament ladder who use the metal guard skin are explicitly stated as being members of 'The Corrupt' (soldiers reprogrammed by Liandri and Xan for his amusement),
                      The corrupt were the cybernetic robots.
                      Whether or not they were human before doesn't matter, the point is they were not the metal guard in this thread.

The metal guard may have been a part of the corrupt faction, in that they were brainwashed into working for xan kriegor, but they were still their own group/team.

and oftentimes part machine.
                      Here's the three guard I found in the DM part of the ladder (I know there's at least one female somewhere). Only one of them was stated as being rebuilt and mostly metal. The fact they emphasized that means he's an exception, not the norm.
                      -And It's obviously most of those metal parts are internal.

I got an idea of how to add more metal to the look without making them look so knightly.
                      I just can't believe I'm the only one who thinks "make them look like knights in space in a sci fi shooter" is stupid.
                      Sadly, if the masses clamor for it, that's the visual direction epic will give them.
                      Last edited by CognizanCe1; 06-14-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Well, they are officially Xan's servants, their will bent by the Corrupt. I think their looks were made to look like futuristic butlers. Which is an interesting concept.
                        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                          I think their looks were made to look like futuristic butlers.
                          Now you're just trolling.

Comment

Great Emerald is one of the last members on this forum I'd accuse for trolling. His knowledge of the Unreal universe is greater than any of us, and it won't be the first time if he uses his encyclopedical-like knowledge to deduce interesting hypotheses from the limited amount of tidbits that have been given us that no-one else thought, or would think of. Given their slave-backgrounds, I'd actually think his line of reasoning is rather valid. References artists use for inspiration can sometimes come from places you wouldn't expect it to. Especially if they're coming up with something original.
                            Last edited by Joen; 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

What Neorej said.

You have noted yourself that Metal Guard doesn't have a lot to do with metal, and team names aren't usually about their appearance. Metal Guard were the servants of Xan. What has to do with metal? Xan and his Corrupt. Thus "Metal Guard" meaning "guards of the metal ones" seems to make the most sense. And since The Corrupt are already pretty much in the role of bodyguards for Xan, Metal Guard would become redundant, if they didn't have some other use. Entertainment and errands could very well be that use. After all, having small fry beaten up by those guys (in style), and then seeing them bow and run errands for Xan, should have given him some kicks.
                              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Working...
                              X