No announcement yet.

Metal Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the concern is so much about whether it's literally metal plating or kevlar that these guys are wearing, but rather that a lot of the concept images you posted like pseudo-Fascist military garb, or are inspired BDSM-fetish wear, whereas the armor of the UT99 Metal Guard guys is pretty functional and contains hints of that, but is generally just a straightforward breastplate + protective bits and mask, with colors and metal filigree that ties it all together with a royal-guard style look.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
      The men of the metal guard are obviously using a kevlar like material, decorated with metal trim/accents and strapped to them with non metal straps.
      I got an idea of how to add more metal to the look without making them look so knightly.
      I just can't believe I'm the only one who thinks "make them look like knights in space in a sci fi shooter" is stupid.
      Sadly, if the masses clamor for it, that's the visual direction epic will give them.
      See, I perceive those pads as metal plates, with the faint dappling resembling a tinted or painted shine (like how modern car paint is reflective). They resemble the modular composite armor used on main battle tanks, which is quite appropriate for a blood sport where rockets and flak shells are flying everywhere, and it's thematically consistent with the Metal Guard as a whole: Artificially enhanced lunatics sponsored by Xan.

That's not to say that I take issue with your "make them look like riot cops in space in a sci fi shooter" philosophy, I just don't draw the connection.

Comment

I like the general direction you're going with this. Also: Thank you so much giving the female a proper torso plate.
        Though a bit more ornate styling would keep with the overall theme of previous skins.

Starting with functional plate like you have going, but dressing it up so each one looks more like a royal officer rather than a generic goon.

Comment

More hard surface looking armor.
          -And pants.

3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

More hard surface looking armor.
            -And pants.

This looks promising.

Now for the boots, mask, and the blue/brown/golden decorations
            **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
            64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
            READY.

Comment

Started some studies of forearm and shoulder armor.
              Eventually I'll do torso and knee+shin guard armor.

Originally posted by Solei View Post
              Now for the boots, mask, and the blue/brown/golden decorations
              Sorry man, I'm not going for the "futuristic butlers in space" look.
              Last edited by CognizanCe1; 07-05-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Im also recognizing a relation with the WH40k
                eldar harlequines who wear similar masks!

GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Torso Studies:

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
                    Im also recognizing a relation with the WH40k
                    eldar harlequines who wear similar masks!

I don't see the relationship between these "Harlequins" and the Metal Guard. Perhaps a better pic?

For the chestplate, I think the lowermost one looks the best.The first is not bad either.
                    Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                    Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                    Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                    --Captain Crit

Comment

But im seeing the relation between you and
                      those guys "captain" - why dont you go to
                      psychum and continue your trolling there?
                      GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
                        "captain" - why dont you go to
                        psychum and continue your trolling there?
                        The image for each Harlequin was too small for actual detail. In addition, a lot of them are in poses which do not show the masks clearly. It's not trolling, just wanted a better pic to relate the two.
                        Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                        Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                        Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                        --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
                          The 3rd knee pad and first gloves, I think, are awesome.

Your chest armors are great, maybe except the 3rd one. What do you think?
                          Who me?
                          I drew them so I gues I like them.
                          I admit the 3rd one may be too bare around the abs and obliques.
                          -And those were shoulder pads BTW.
                          Sorry if I didn't illustrate that clearly enough :s

Comment

The old UT99 Characters should be 1:1 overtaken,
                            only optimized the bio-things like arms , legs and skins if be skins to see,
                            the armoury optimized (from the grafic and rendering)
                            but the other should be in honor original, for an Recognition .
                            And by the way, CognizanCe, the warcow is cool !

best regards
                            Blacky

Comment

Spent some more time on these, really trying to get my ideas across.
                              Like I said, this was my fav faction.

Again, more swat, professional, tactical, possible varying degrees of sadism.
                              This time made the armor a lot less form fitting. Less sleek. More bulky.Les sci fi./
                              I think that ended up giving them a bit more of a Jin roh kinda feel to them this time around.

No "space butlers" or "space royalty" but that's just how I like them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	337809

Comment

Spent some more time on these, really trying to get my ideas across.
                                Like I said, this was my fav faction.

Again, more swat, professional, tactical, possible varying degrees of sadism.
                                This time made the armor a lot less form fitting. Less sleek. More bulky.Les sci fi./
                                I think that ended up giving them a bit more of a Jin roh kinda feel to them this time around.

No "space butlers" or "space royalty" but that's just how I like them.

I think you're going in the right direction with those paintings. Compromise is usually a good solution when two equally valid but totally different views on a thing collide like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X