Views:	1
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	349303

Female.
    Very cool.
    Just needs a ballistics mask!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think this looks great for a female metal guard. Maybe just needs a little more metal plates to alter the silhouette.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	denis-rybchak-denry-1-1-defender.jpg
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	349240

I like this thinner, more high tech face plate here. Looks like it would have sensors and air filters and such. high tech.

Name:	denis-rybchak-spy2-1.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	349241

Leave a comment:

• replied

Crossbones from Captain America: Civil war.

Face screams metal guard.
    The clothing and kevlar is actually most reminiscent to the UT99 metal guard.
    Something like that may actually make a good base model for the metal guard, and the player can further cusomize the character by choosing the pieces surface armor that goes over it.
    -And a ton of face plate and balaclava options would be GREAT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your art is cool, but personally it isn't how I perceive the MG in UT99.

Based on the (few) piece of lore that we got for them, the first thing that came into my mind was the Eversor assassin from the Warhaamer 40k universe. They are cold blooded assasin with a neural controller (or something similar). A living killing machine with a remote control.
    They're probably fitted with something rather metallic because of the obvious affiliation with their team name, but also for some of the possible mechanic augmentations they got and their connection (even if it is somewhat unclear) with Xan and possibly the corupt. Or even Liandri in general (known for their works on the robots).
    I also think the "Guard" part is there for a good reason, they probably act as a kind of bodyguard and/or protector when not in the tournament (they can have a use outside the arena no ?). They're efficient killers, and obedient thanks to the neural restraints.

For the posture, color shceme and ornaments I think they aren't so far from our today's royal guards :

Fitted with an armor of course... But I can see them next to their "employer", standing at attention, but when you look into their eyes you can sense that psychotic murderer.

To resume : An eversor assassin bodyguard with a metallic armor and a few (kind of) royal guard ornaments. Maybe some of them have cybernetics enhancements, but nothing drastic (a little part of metal, pipe or anything robot like visible just on a few part of his arm for exemple). Actually maybe they were something beetwen the simple superhuman soldier and the next-gen combat robot ? The corrupt might be the last creation in the cybernetic researchs, the MG being an earlier attempt ?

This is just a personnal opinion. But maybe you can find some inspiration or keep some ideas in it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hellions are not cyberpunk for me, they are just punk in a future environment. And I dislike them as well.

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
    This was already discussed on the first page.
    The metal guard name had nothing to do with being more heavily armored. They were only decorated in gold metal trim.
    The material was mostly kevlar and cloth.
    Only the females had boobplate type armor.
    Hm... well, Ballistic Armour. No one said nothing about metal plates. "Metal" is also seen as a synonym for sturdiness and strong armoury. As I said, we don't need those fancy ornamentation. But we need some metal or else they are just another Thundercrash with masks.

Special forces is the look I'm going for, but I admit it's hard to update because of the combination of special forces and decorative royal trim in UT99.
    UT2k4 tried making them more medieval and the result was not very cohesive.
    Visually they were just a mess.
    You got me wrong... I meant a mix of them not one of those as art direction alone.
    The Jin Roh police force without those characteristic helmets and wide shoulder pads...and maybe lesser armour is a good direction.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [Epic]Rick Kohler View Post
    There's some nice work in here. I'd like to see the MG take on more of a Mad Max 'War Boy' look.....Play up the crazy, brainwashed, deranged angle.
    I wouldn't.
    The deranged, maniacal character type character in a strait jacket has been done to death, and would take away from what gave these characters that unique UT vibe.
    What attracted me to the metal guard was the fact they have the calm, cold blooded, professional, "hunter killer" type look, and in the midst of a tournament of egotistic charismatics (raw steel, Thunder crash etc) they have none.
    They were the cold, emotionless faction.
    They were more Jason Voorhees than Mad max war boy.

The descriptions.....doesn't mesh well with the decorative (sometimes Samurai-ish) nature of a lot of the outfits I see here (and in the past).
    I acknowledge that the descriptions don't match the look.
    UT99 for the PS2 had von's portrait look really psychotic/maniacal/deranged.

Name:	Von.png
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	343622

So the question will be, what dictates the art direction for these guys?
    Their original look?
    The lore?

I think it was Chris Perna that mentioned the necris will have different representatives of the necris collective.
    There will be an assassin necris, soldier necris, and religious necris.
    I think the metal guard should be treated the same, in that there should be that really deranged one that's a threat to everybody, but there should also be the jason voorhees type.
    These voices remind me of the war boys, and I do NOT think this should be applicable to all metal guard.
    Should only be applicable to that one that's really deranged.

The descriptions I've read on the MG are all about how they're psychotic, brainwashed and 'heartless'.
    You know what vibe I get just looking at them now that I'm older?
    They look muzzled.
    Yes, if they can do whatever they want they'd flip out and kill everybody, but the fact they look muzzled and restrained by a superior, more powerful force (Xan kriegor? Liandri doctors experimenting on them and implanting a kill switch?) really makes them unique compared to every other cliche erratic killer.
    I'm actually reminded of scorpion and subzero from the first Mortal Kombat movie.
    Everyone knew then as badass ninjas from the games, but they fact they were enslaved by shang tsung didn't detract from their awesomeness, and they were prolly the only ones elite enough to be chosen/enslaved by shang tsung.
    THAT should be the vibe the MG give off.

Originally posted by BigFatErik
    Then, the "war boy" kind of thing can split off on its own
    Yes. Don't make them all warboys.

Originally posted by BigFatErik
    but I can see some characters fitting in where theyre just totally blood drunk crazy rabid, and they get their leashes cut off for 10 minutes at a time during a duel or something.
    Agreed.

Originally posted by papercoffee
    but what was always a part of the Metal Guard was their heavy armour thing
    This was already discussed on the first page.
    The metal guard name had nothing to do with being more heavily armored. They were only decorated in gold metal trim.
    The material was mostly kevlar and cloth.
    Only the females had boobplate type armor.

Originally posted by papercoffee
    Medieval and Cyberpunk mixed with real Special Forces gear.
    Special forces is the look I'm going for, but I admit it's hard to update because of the combination of special forces and decorative royal trim in UT99.
    UT2k4 tried making them more medieval and the result was not very cohesive.
    Visually they were just a mess.

Speaking of mad max, I HATED the look of the Hellions in UT2k4.
    They literally looked like mad max on acid.
    Please don't gravitate the metal guard aesthetic ANYWHERE near this art direction.

Name:	normal_Kane_Rae_Hellions.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	343624
    Last edited by CognizanCe1; 01-02-2016, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't think we need the rich ornamented gear ...but what was always a part of the Metal Guard was their heavy armour thing (where their name derivated from). Think about them as the Dark Knights of UT with battle worn armouring ...missing and replaced limps. Medieval and Cyberpunk mixed with real Special Forces gear.
    They are "employees" of Liandri ...the shouldn't look too much post-apocalyptic. But also not too clean and fancy like in the old games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just found these on art station.
    Definitely seems more "deranged".

Name:	diego-mauricio-garces-monster-beauty.jpg
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	343610

Name:	diego-mauricio-garces-monster-turnaround.jpg
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	343611

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/b0xVo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
    There's some nice work in here. I'd like to see the MG would take on more of a Mad Max 'War Boy' look. The descriptions I've read on the MG are all about how they're psychotic, brainwashed and 'heartless'. To me, this doesn't mesh well with the decorative (sometimes Samurai-ish) nature of a lot of the outfits I see here (and in the past). Perhaps a common theme can be the metal face mask but otherwise they can be less outfitted, more exposed skin for tats and/or war paint. Play up the crazy, brainwashed, deranged angle.

Anyway, just spit-balling some ideas here. Nice work so far!

You make a good point. To me, the Metal Guard is all about that sweet, scary mask. However, the written lore descriptions make them sound like either rabid psychos, or cold emotionless psychos - which fit the mask fine, but dont quite go with the rest of their outfit. Maybe we're due for a UT4 update?

Maybe the "Metal Guard" as we know them can have interesting / intricate costumes, but have cybernetic body parts that were rebuilt from past war wounds? Imagine a guy with metal arm(s), or a guy with a cybernetic face coming at you!

Then, the "war boy" kind of thing can split off on its own, and all of them have masks? It would have to be tweaked to make it more "cyberpunk" somehow to fit with the futuristic deathmatch theme that UT is supposed to be, but I can see some characters fitting in where theyre just totally blood drunk crazy rabid, and they get their leashes cut off for 10 minutes at a time during a duel or something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's some nice work in here. I'd like to see the MG take on more of a Mad Max 'War Boy' look. The descriptions I've read on the MG are all about how they're psychotic, brainwashed and 'heartless'. To me, this doesn't mesh well with the decorative (sometimes Samurai-ish) nature of a lot of the outfits I see here (and in the past). Perhaps a common theme can be the metal face mask but otherwise they can be less outfitted, more exposed skin for tats and/or war paint. Play up the crazy, brainwashed, deranged angle.

Anyway, just spit-balling some ideas here. Nice work so far!
    Last edited by Rick Kohler; 12-02-2015, 01:00 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    More refs.
    -Ignore the anime faces.
    Metal guard AF.

Name:	Deunan_07.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	342994

Name:	3356456902_07c28e4b43_b.jpg
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	342999

Name:	Deunan_03.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	342995

Name:	3356455878_6144841850_b.jpg
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	342996

Name:	Deunan.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	342998

Name:	appleseed dark.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	342997

Name:	10636683_1554037418141312_1794173693079378226_o.png
Size:	958.5 KB
ID:	343000

Name:	10628669_1554031174808603_1328166805258908507_o.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	343001
    Last edited by CognizanCe1; 12-02-2015, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Could have sworn army of 2 references would have been in the first post.
    These guys scream metal guard,
    and user created custom ballistics masks can be added to the store.

Their look shouldn't be straight forward Private Military company Mercenaries though.
    I'd expect them to be a bit more futuristic and UT-ified.

Name:	nox_AO2RiosSalemPosed2-532x700.jpg
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	342945

Name:	steambot-army_of_two-13.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	342946

Name:	steambot-army_of_two-12.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	342947

Name:	steambot-army_of_two-05.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	342948

Name:	steambot-army_of_two-02.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	342949

Name:	steambot-army_of_two-01.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	342950

Name:	Rios.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	342952

Name:	ao2-screenshot-1_656x369.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	342953

Doubt this is Army of 2, but has a futuristic high tech+armored swat vibe.

Name:	nox_DesertViper-560x700.jpg
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	342951
    Last edited by CognizanCe1; 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Basalt View Post
    Don't underestimate the visual strength of the shoulderpads. Some of your other concepts don't have them, and look a lot more vurnable and less intimidating without them.
    I was trying to imitate the UT3 customization options (2 shoulder pads, 1 shoulder pad, or neither).
    I just really like customization options, and I hope ut4 has lots, as in more than just hats and glasses.

Leave a comment:

• replied

I really like this one in particular. The Iron Guard has this really heavy, modular look. This silhouette really gets that vibe across.

Don't underestimate the visual strength of the shoulderpads. Some of your other concepts don't have them, and look a lot more vurnable and less intimidating without them.

Good work, looking forward to updates!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X