Sapphire concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Sapphire concept

Okay I decided to take the original design, and modify it a bit less than I usually do.
    Heres a quick concept for Sapphire from ut2k4

Nice, like a little older version of Sapphire. Cool deal.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Sapphire color

Okay I refined my concept and started coloring her! Heres what I have so far, more to come!!

Last edited by Bah_Mee; 06-23-2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

You really should just start from coloured versions, they always look orders of magnitude better than the pencil ones

Looks good, though in UT2003 the chest armour was complete. Here it doesn't protect her stomach, which is probably a bad decision
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Awesome concept, though I do agree with what GreatEmerald said
          Also, it's very nice to see Sapphire with normal proportions finally. And I like your version of boots much better than original.

Comment

All of your characters lack interesting silhouette. You put a lot of effort into details but if you fill your character with black color you won't even be able to tell if it's a man or a woman. Try making some very basic silhouette sketches before going deeper into detail.

Check out this, by the way http://vimeo.com/5738519
            The first 2 minutes might help you understand what I'm talking about.
            Last edited by Aberiu; 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM.
            ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

thank you! Im taking the original idea and updating it, I don't want big fat armour that sticks out everywhere like some crazy cyborg, although I get it, I want sleek armour so that is what I am doing, I don't see the need for super sticking out armour and big fat shoulderpads, it doesn't work well with tournament characters who are running around athletically. I personally hate that bubble animal balloon look to armour that is my thought on my character design. UT3 did all that big fat armour stuff, I am trying to do the opposite I guess. IDK she looks like a female to me!

Lots of people also don't think about how animated these characters are going to be, and big armour will only clip through everything looking terrible! another thing to think about!

I mean that concept is awesome, and I understand they were looking at mechs and stuff, but I am trying to create a tournament fighter not a stealth robot or any robot I guess. I Love anime and mecha stuff, but I do not want any of my concepts to resemble ghost in the shell at all, and thats what I got out of that video, lots of artists create the crazy shaped anime armour and that is awesome! It is just not where I want to go with my art!
              Thank you though for your critique!
              Last edited by Bah_Mee; 06-23-2014, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                You really should just start from coloured versions, they always look orders of magnitude better than the pencil ones
                Dude I am excited when I get a concept DONE, you bet I am gonna post it
                HAHAHAH! sorry, but you cant stop the BAH from posting images! I will never stop mwuahahahaha!!

Comment

Love the sleek armour and agree it is more practical and realistic for athletic movement.

Good point about the silhouette, though, I think I'd accept a less distinguished outline than needless big armour and 'bits sticking out' just because..
                  There might be other ways to achieve that though, I don't know

Comment

Its actually interesting, I love playing with ideas, and this is only my first concept!
                    I just fear the big bubble armour of ut3 so much maybe its holding me back HAHAHAHAH! no worries, Im a champ, I will try more!!! thank you all for your input really!

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                      All of your characters lack interesting silhouette. You put a lot of effort into details but if you fill your character with black color you won't even be able to tell if it's a man or a woman. Try making some very basic silhouette sketches before going deeper into detail.

Check out this, by the way http://vimeo.com/5738519
                      The first 2 minutes might help you understand what I'm talking about.
                      Thanks for the video! The first two minutes explain it very well indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                        Actually if anything wouldnt it be better to have a similar silhouette for balance? In a game like UT it doesnt really matter if youre male or female aye if youre looking to get shot at.
                        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I guess what he's pointing at is attractiveness and identifiability, a similar silhouette and similar overall dimensions are different things entirely. similar dimensions is what you would want for balance, both visibility wise and hitbox wise.

Though I have to say that I don't mind these concepts and actually LIKE the fact that they don't follow the stereotypical oversexualization and over stylization... kind of more like a real person.
                          Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 06-26-2014, 10:48 PM.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Henrik is right, I wasn't talking about the overall proportions.
                            ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

hmm sorry, Im pretty new to the character design thing so perhaps I misunderstood as well. It alright I think if I keep trying something might click!

Comment

Working...
                              X