Some concept for start.
    Attached Files
    3d character artist

Originally posted by Winged_wanderer View Post
    Some concept for start.
    Very cool ideas, man. I like.
    Tim Fangon
    Artist and Illustrator

http://timfangon.com | Instagram: http://instagram.com/arukun14 | Facebook: http://facebook.com/arukun14

Comment

Ooooooooooooo, I like these ALOT nicely done! One suggestion though, see if you can add more color somehow.
      [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
      [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Some concept for start.
        ITs too fat and bulky if were a bit more thinner with that design it would look sexy and scary keep working thats not bad

Comment

Well executed, but this looks more like it could fit into Unreal than into UT. In Unreal 2, there were spacemarines with similar designs (were you in any way inspired by Unreal 2?). I like the resemblance, but it is simply too bulky.

In other words: Sorry, but no. The bulky look was proven to be a failure in UT3 as it broke the feeling of dynamics (together with sounds and jump feeling). The left one comes closer to the Juggernaut-mass, eventually you could tweak that one to add a bigger dynamic feel (while giving it the edgy space marine shapes of the right one maybe?). Then again, if you make slim versions of these, I'm sure people will like it. I think the hip area is the only issue with the left one making it look like a barrel, but a small redesign on that part will change it for sure.
          S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
            In other words: Sorry, but no.
            Sorry, but who are you think you are? Character artist? I know Unreal from start, i played in all UT. And i wana make not clones of old UT characters. UT need for fresh blood, or meat?
            3d character artist

Comment

Sorry, but who are you think you are? Character artist? I know Unreal from start, i played in all UT. And i wana make not clones of old UT characters. UT need for fresh blood, or meat?
              That may be so, but Sly.'s post is actually full of good points. Read it more thoroughly besides the 'Sorry, but no'. I agree with him and darksonny here that this actually a really well drawn concept, but as it is it just doesn't work for UT. It's simply too bulky and massive, it won't suit the style of characters that UT has. It will create flow and hitbox problems.
              I appreciate the design, but practically it just doesn't fit. Slim it down though, like Sly. suggested, and you might have a really nice character design here.

In other words: keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Voparixly View Post
                That may be so, but Sly.'s post is actually full of good points.

In other words: keep at it.
                Do you know all steps of character creation? From concept to final model? Did hitboxes depends from the thickness of model?
                3d character artist

Comment

No, "hitboxes" are not depending on the model, rather vice versa. In a fast shooter like UT, a big model is faster to spot than a slim one and since all characters have the same cylinder collision (or in Unreal Engine 4 more of a pill-shaped collision) due to balance reasons, the model should be somewhat representative of the shape of the collision, so too great differences from the collision shape are misleading. This can be a problem when a player is using the sniper rifle and aiming at a character but seeing the shot go through it dealing absolutely no damage because it was bigger than the collision.

Also, I'd appreciate if you would read my post again because it was not meant to be offensive and I'm always trying to give honest (and constructive) feedback. Not everyone likes it or can take it, but in my opinion honest feedback is the most valuable one, only that way one can grow (whether as artist, composer, or programmer).
                  You posted this here for a reason, didn't you?
                  The reason was to show off what you have made and to get input from people, that was my input. Whether that input is from a professional character artist or just a random person with absolutely no skill and talent in said direction doesn't really matter here if the point is valid and in such a case it also doesn't matter if it's positive or negative feedback. In any case, even a simple "I don't like it" is better than withholding from commenting because of being afraid to hurt someone's feelings or insulting the person unwillingly.
                  Moreover, I never said that the execution was terrible. I named the positive aspects (great artworks) such as the negative aspects (from a gameplay perspective, size and collision most likely won't really fit together, the Juggernauts in UT2004 were already quite borderline).

Anyway, seeing how this can potentially move into the direction of a flame war (which I'm not eager for) I'm going to say that if you don't want my feedback, just let me know, I have no problem with that.
                  In that case I'll stay out of your threads and let others review your works, but I guess then the purpose of these forums was missed because they are made for showing off and discussing the presented content and in the end choose what is suited for the game and what isn't.

Either way, whether with or without my input, keep posting concepts!
                  Last edited by Sly.; 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM.
                  S l y .

Comment

Im anderstand. But if we do not have base model, is were a reason talking about proportions, collision and hitboxes?
                    3d character artist

Comment

They're worth thinking about. Art and gameplay go together. You wouldn't want a big model where most of the parts you shoot just pass through, and you wouldn't want some scrawny thing where you can shoot outside the model and still score hits.

That said, something as simple as hitbox size affecting relative damage incurred by players should be able to be balanced via some form of damage scaling, either bonus health or a damage modifier etc. Instakill weapons would still do enough to do their magic (Redeemer, Impact hammer, sniper, etc) but the overall survivabilty per model would be evened out. UT2k4 had the species statistics mutator, and UC2 just had it built in.

That said: I think the one on the right with the plating has good potential for a Juggernaut class of character. I'm not a huge fan of the helmet, and I'd like to see some more space for mobility in the hips to the front and back so it could be animated with minimal clipping, but overall it feels like it could fit in the Unreal Universe.

Comment

Ok, lets get back to concepting.
                        Attached Files
                        3d character artist

Comment

Attached Files
                          3d character artist

Comment

Lmao - the chest looks like some face!
                            GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

That would certainly be an advancement of the Juggernauts. It's entertaining to think of some Juggernauts escaping from Axon and seeking refuge at Liandri, and Liandri then using their robotic tech to improve them further, resulting in this.
                              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Working...
                              X