Character Customization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
    This deserves to be seen, but that might not exactly fit with UT 2014.

cool but this kind of customization takes most of the time and money to make also make modding harder

if there is going to be any customization it should be like original ut where you can only change head

or no customization like ut 2004

Comment

I liked the level of customization in UT99, and would be perfectly happy with that. At the very least, I want to customize my character a little, and maybe (easily) create my own bot roster (names, abilities). In 2004 and ut3 you COULD make your own bots, but it required you to edit .ini files and the like, and in a game like UT, you should not have to ever go directly to the .ini files. That's what a user interface is for.

Anyway, I liked how in UT99 you could narrow it down by class, not faction. This could be taken a step further, where you pick race (human, nali, skaarj), gender, and then class (commando, soldier, whatever) and faction (in which ever order), and finally the specific character. The armor concept from UT3 isn't a bad idea, but I'm neither here nor there on it.

Comment

you can correct me if i'm wrong but in UT99/2004 the customization was just a texture change (what you guys call skins) in UT3 it actually changed the meshes as well which was nice but as you know does involve a lot of work on both code and creation sides, UT3 had an UI for the player changes but as mentioned not for the bots, though i didn't have any problems with the ini file once i learned what to change.

it would be nice to have the UT3 style options but i doubt we'll get that unless they plan that from early on
        UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
        ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by Geodav View Post
          you can correct me if i'm wrong but in UT99/2004 the customization was just a texture change (what you guys call skins) in UT3 it actually changed the meshes as well which was nice but as you know does involve a lot of work on both code and creation sides, UT3 had an UI for the player changes but as mentioned not for the bots, though i didn't have any problems with the ini file once i learned what to change.

it would be nice to have the UT3 style options but i doubt we'll get that unless they plan that from early on
          yes in original ut it was only texture change

Comment

My issue with customization in games like UT is that it is vital to be able to tell who is who at a distance. Characters were either dominantly bright red or bright blue for a reason. UT3 had this issue as well, due to the very earthy color choices as well.

Comment

just remember:

it's a shooter - you will never really have enough time to look at your contrahend... ;-)
              cheers!

Comment

I think that mesh chunk swaps (torso, legs head etc) based around a few standard anatomical models of the races should give all the customisation needed, but retain the individuality and recognition of all the races. you can then do texture swaps on top of that for further variation, keeping to defined racial palettes and shape language should keep everything unified....but the guys at epic know all this already, they have made the odd shooter

Mesh swaps on socket points for the races will also allow the modding community to make stuff easily....think Dota for reference.
                folio

Comment

i think truely the APB costumisationtool is a perfect tool for the new Unreal. its based on the Unrealengine (GOW2) and maybe some easyer to implimitate in the Game.
                  Sory for my Bad english...
                  Working On: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...acter-Concepts

Comment

I seriously doubt that UT characters need that kind of customization. Even UT3 customization was a bit too much, if you ask me. Especially considering that most parts looked the same despite some minor silhouette differences. What's the point of creating various characters with their own stories and background if a player will change everything anyway?
                    Custom skins or outfits (just like there were custom outfits for the teammates in Mass Effect 3) would be more than enough.

Unreal Tournament is not a MMORPG. It's a multiplayer game with it's story being told through the characters and maps. I think this is an important part of the game and it should not be changed.
                    Last edited by Aberiu; 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM.
                    ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Originally posted by U1849KA View Post
                      The main issue in UT 3 (other than custom characters not loading in) was that since all the pieces in a team had to be interchangeable, all characters in a team had to kinda' look the same, so that pieces wouldn't stand out too much when combined.
                      UT3 had FAR more customization variety and possibilities than UT99 or UT2k4.
                      Why did they look similar? Because each team has a distinct look.
                      UT99 and 2k4 had the least variety and possibilities. In UT99 character heads were just being swapped. In ut2k4, it was practically the same thing (romulus and remus comes to mind), except customization was removed in ut2k4 and we were given the characters to choose (not customize), that had MINOR differences in textures.

Originally posted by U1849KA View Post
                      This actually reduces visual variety within each individual team.
                      Are you serious?
                      Compare a UT3 necris to an iron guard.
                      Compare a UT3 ronin to the corrupt.
                      The overall aesthetic differences between individual teams are glaring.
                      The problem is once you choose a character from a faction, when someone chooses someone from the same faction and the same ***, THEN you end up looking a lot alike BECAUSE THERE WASN'T ENOUGH PIECES.
                      -And enough teams.

Originally posted by ~SS~ View Post
                      This would probably just hamper loading times and have all sorts of bugs with missing bits of armour etc. Isn't that what the demoguy fiasco was in UT3? Custom armour sets not being translated properly?
                      I've never had any kind of missing armor bug in UT3. The demoguy fiasco was other characters sometimes showing up as the demoguy. Not pieces not loading.
                      3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                        What's the point of creating various characters with their own stories and background if a player will change everything anyway?
                        Unreal Tournament is not a MMORPG. It's a multiplayer game with it's story being told through the characters and maps. I think this is an important part of the game and it should not be changed.
                        Character customization is a draw and joy in itself.
                        Yes, custom characters in UT3 look alike when they were from the same faction, but the point is you recognize other players and their characters, even the little pieces that don't make a big difference.
                        It that regard, I rarely see two players that have the exact same character, but the point is you attach the player name to the character.

Just looking at a character from a distance you know from experience whether you can take him on or if you should run.
                        -without waiting for their name to pop up.

That's the effect customization has.

The individuality and in game recognition (and reputation) is lost when just choosing a skin, cause anyone can just choose the exact same skin.

-And while I'm at it, some do get a connection to their characters, especially is no one has the same set up.
                        Not soap opera drama type stuff, but creating a character or look they like to represent them, and would quite a game to customize their character if someone changed it around.
                        -And avoiding some character look/aesthetics altogether.
                        If UT99 had only nali, 2k4 had only skaarj, and UT3 had only krall, I'd never play it.
                        Selecting a character/skin is just an initial draw/attraction.
                        The ability to further create/customize is a clincher that seals or cements the personaliztion.
                        Last edited by CognizanCe1; 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM.
                        3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Overall I think a character customization option would be good, just as long as its very flexible. The set slots that UT3 had were irritating, as sometimes, a race just didn't need custom thighs, but could use custom backpacks or something. So if the slots per team/race can be configured per each, including turning it off entirely for oneoff custom characters or uniques, then great.
                          Also the automatic texture atlasing requirements from ut3 were irritating as hell. It made properly packing UV's for models much less flexible as all bits of each different bodypart had to be in a specific location within the UV space to map correctly.
                          This really precluded adding in things that were much larger than what was stock, and made custom character sets more restrictive since you had to adhere to the same kinds of packing, even if you weren't using those sub-parts. I.E. if I made a race with just custom torsos, I'd have a lot of just blank texture space to accommodate the non existent accessories.

I'm sure that decision was a performance based one (draw calls per model and predictable memory use per character), but hopefully there's a better atlasing scheme this could use.

other thoughts:
                          Pros:
                          Individuality to some degree for players.
                          Much greater number of monetary and modding options for post release marketplace (ie can just make a helmet rather than a whole character)

Cons:
                          More difficult programmatic and artistic design path
                          Preset "Characters" may become less distinct.

Comment

my as User of the Game in the Future, want be cool, if i can Build my own Character , if i want be an Human !
                            The APB and CB2 it is an very good possible for Creation an Human Character and want be really good,
                            if some tool include the Game tohave any an Possible for create his own Character.. hey, why does this
                            tool not create an 3D-Grid and the pictures and tell the Game how have it to put together..
                            and if you go on an Server, why download it only the Maps, why upload it this compression
                            Character maybe as own extension .utcuschar or something ..
                            on the server for 3-10 day's and behind want automatically remove it..
                            the other Player can download it maybe if enabled to see the

[X] Custom Skins download from Other player/Server
                            [X] Custom Skins download from Server
                            [X] Cache the Customskins for [0000] Day's
                            [X] Save the Customskins for [0000] Day's
                            [X] Save the Custom Skins immediately
                            Save the CustomSkins in the Path : %Home%/game/UT/Customskins

why not ..
                            So it is possible for See the Players in the own Client best as possible ..
                            any gamer have an specially id .. why we not use this ..
                            id, skinpack-size and md5 of the skinpack .
                            so, if the Player an other skin.. want noticed this the Game, because not the correct
                            size of the skin-pack and not the same md5 and re-download the skin of the player ..
                            for use the new skin for the Player ..

this is maybe the suggestion who want well work in the game ..
                            but now we need an programmer who programming this
                            so it is possible for storing the Character who have made
                            for self on an usb-stick and can anytime reimport in the game
                            and it is save on an backup (if it is not stored on the USER-ID-Server).
                            So it is possible for an recognition value with an own unique Player-ID ..
                            maybe an 50 digit or 100 digit , inside of his own Skin .

Of course you also have to think about identity theft with Skin ..

maybe in with Player-ID on the Login-Server ...

and if the Player goes in an Gamerparty or reinstall his game,
                            can still he use his own Skin who he has made for him ..

secure the Skin for his own using , not really possible but
                            if it is easy possible for creating his own skin,
                            don't mus use an other skin ..

the identity it is saved with Name and Password..
                            therewith can maybe create an unique Playerid who have
                            the player select an skinfile where maybe uploaded for using ..

and this skinfile can download, saved for others ..
                            and maybe store by the other Players ..

best regards
                            Blacky
                            Last edited by Blackcrack; 06-21-2014, 04:39 AM.

Comment

How do I create a skin

Comment

Working...
                              X