Zenitive's characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Zenitive's characters

Hello everyone. When I was thinking about characters for the new UT I asked myself a few questions. Who are those people who take part in the tournament, what is their background, where do they come from and how that influences the way they look like. Also, what do they need to win in terms of equipment.

I'd like to present you some of my ideas and I'd really appreciate any feedback from you (sorry for the pencil mess around the characters ^^)

Starting from the left:

Robots - in previous UT's they were usually enhanced humans, in UT3 they were mainly mining machines. I don't really like that last idea. When a big corporation wants to grant itself a championship in a tournament they just can't introduce a piece of junk. They need something hi-tech and lethal. Something that works according to two simple rules - search and destroy. I wanted to create a soulless machine that looks agile and modern. No screws, pipes, and machinery outside the armour. Just the elegance of killing.

Amateur-psychopaths - in character descriptions of UT'99 we could read that some of them were convicts, psychos and so on. Such people take part in the tournament because they want to satisfy their sadistic desires, and they simply love violence and pain. I wanted the guy in the middle to look like he bought his armour on a black market.

Professionals - that "malcolmish" fellow is a member of a professional ut team. They have sponsors, so their equipment is made of best available materials. They were trained to win and show no mercy. I was thinking about them like some kind of soldiers or mercenaries who can kill anyone if one pays good money.

In general my intention was to make these characters look agile and their suits/armours as useful as possible. That's why there are no fancy shoulder pads or giant boots. Just simple plating on some most vital areas of the body.

Again, tell me what do you think about such approach. What would you change or improve.

Cheers ^^

Here come two new concepts. The first one is a female necris assassin (yeah, da hood). I'm not satisfied with her though. I'll try to make some changes, like smaller hood for example and more solid armour. In the second concept I wanted to combine armour and clothing.

Malcolm got coloured:

I changed some things in the necris female. Added some plating around the waist, changed gloves, boots, and some tattoos. Also, I turned some parts of her armour into pipes pumping the nanoblack into her body.

Update on Necris (inspired by Gooba https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...s-Loque-Design and UT99)

Malcolm v2 and Xan

Malcolm v3

Male Necris v2

Easter theme updated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zenitive; 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM.

Overall, would have to agree that going with a less mining drone, more "search and destroy" robot is a good idea. However, I prefer robots which do not look human. The Combat Drones were perfect for this because they were menacing and heartless. I mean, look at Corrosion. He's covered in razor blades!

Psychotic characters, when those come to mind, I picture BL2 Psychos. Very lightly armored, tattooed with strange symbols over their exposed chest, and wearing a hockey mask with glowing eyes. I see a decent amount of psycho traits in the second one, with the full face mask with a covered eye and exposed arms. I don't see much ametur though, the psychopathic traits mostly override them.

Malcolm sure does look good! I like that approach, making him with moderately light armor, yet still providing more than adequate protection.

Overall, great designs. Makes me wonder, what would they look like colored?
    Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
    Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
    Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
    --Captain Crit

Comment

Tattoos are definitely a good idea. I'll consider that when revamping those concepts and creating new ones. Thanks

Comment

The first one looks very UT3-like. Not bad, but I also like the Automatons more, they don't stick so much to the human design. I like the UT1 Corrupt as well, but those had a very menacing Terminator look. Your design here doesn't really convey the "destroy" part that well.
        The second one is an interesting take on the Metal Guard. Certainly a convincing appearance, but then the Metal Guard also had an interesting gimmick of looking butler-y. Your one is kind of generic. Also, when psychotic characters are mentioned, I picture all the wrong things that Borderlands did, so don't go that route. Everything in Borderlands is way too over the top and it looks ridiculous.
        The third one is very classic for Thunder Crash. Easily recognisable, though not very original. Oh, and the face looks like Gordon Freeman
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          The third one is very classic for Thunder Crash. Easily recognisable, though not very original. Oh, and the face looks like Gordon Freeman
          That was my intention to make it look close to the ut'99 Thunder Crash. I think many people here would like to see old characters in "not so completely new" form.

Comment

"female necris assassin" look amazing ! in UT99 style. I am waiting for more

Comment

Ooh, those two new ones are pretty interesting.
              Necris: I like the general style, with tatoos and such. Only the armour looks a bit too complex and unwieldy. In UT2004 and UC2, the Necris used very light and non-restraining outfits, pretty much civilian gear (but wealthy-looking). That's what I'd like to see more of.
              Right female: Looks fine, but not very recognisable... Oriental influence, but where is she supposed to fit in? Also, a Scouter

Comment

The new concepts are great! I honestly can see the Assassin crouching somewhere, with a sniper in hand. The second is also great, though I feel like something is missing on the waist-legs area. Maybe a belt?
                --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Right female: Looks fine, but not very recognisable... Oriental influence, but where is she supposed to fit in? Also, a Scouter
                  I don't think that she fits any of the current fractions in the ut universe. I started with the trousers and then it was like "Disney's Aladin goes sci-fi".

I'll post the coloured version of Malcolm and psycho on Monday if I have time. Thanks for the feedback so far
                  Last edited by Zenitive; 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I have just added coloured Malcolm and upgraded necris female.

Comment

Ugh. The Necris looks worse than the previous attempt in my opinion. Tubes are a sign of weakness and fragility, and the boots are even more ridiculously unusable than they were before...

Comment

I like your female concepts. The hooded assassin might be a bit impractical with the pointy shoes, but it could just be toned down a bit and be fine I think. I really like the Arabian themed design, the cloth and armor idea is something I've been exploring as well, I think you pulled it off pretty well. The hair and legs are the best parts for me, they sell the theme. I think the torso could use improvement though!

Keep up the good work!
                        Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

I added a new version of female necris, and a brand new necris male. Both inspired by Gooba's concept. Less robotic, more necrotic :P
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Zenitive; 08-11-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Yes! Amazing. I like everything I see in this concept.

Comment

The Necris concepts are amazing. They definitely look and feel like an undead assassin! All the cues too, leather and cloth, with a touch of metal to make for excellent Necris.
                              --Captain Crit

Comment

Working...
                              X