Necris - Loque Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Necris - Loque Design

Got some time to iterate on the Necris designs a bit more after the feedback from Chris. I wanted to have a different way of showing the Necris enhancements, so I came up with the articulating neck. I was thinking it could work almost like a snake, weaving back and forth. Also, other Necris might not be this augmented, but I figured Loque should have some pretty hefty changes to his body, almost fully robotic/bionic.

Hope you like him!

Update

Last edited by Gooba; 08-09-2014, 11:36 PM.
    Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Personally I prefer your previous Loque concepts more http://i.imgur.com/KskoajT.png I look at them and I say "Hey, that's the Necris". This one resembles me some kind of a drone, just like the one from the Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Maybe the head is a little bit over the top. It's still cool, but I think a bald head, with, some bionic augmentations would be more suitable.

I really love the sleeves though, and the armour looks solid, but not thick. It definitely enhances agility.

Fantastic concept overall. The head is the only thing I would change
    Attached Files

Comment

Yea, it's not identifiable as a Necris... As I said many times elsewhere, I'd rather see them without any visible enhancements at all. Phayder has the money to hide all those under their skin.
      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

But I'm not for the long fingernails :P, big turn off lol
        This was not intended, just poor painting skills, haha.

Maybe the head is a little bit over the top. It's still cool, but I think a bald head, with, some bionic augmentations would be more suitable.
        Yeah, I think it is a bit over the top, but that was on purpose. Like I said, other Necris might not be this augmented, but I think Loque should have some hardcore hardware going on. I may make other Necris showing less augmentation, maybe a female version? If people are interested.

As I said many times elsewhere, I'd rather see them without any visible enhancements at all. Phayder has the money to hide all those under their skin.
        This reasoning might work for a film, or a slower paced medium. But I don't think it works for a fast-paced arena shooter, where you need to see stuff. Subtlety is less of a priority than clarity. Also, if all of the enhancements are hidden, then he just looks like a normal guy? I think that defeats the purpose of their cool history. On top of that, Chris Perna specifically said he wanted to see other ways of implementing the technological enhancements visually. I don't think hiding them is the best solution.

Comment

How about showing just a bit more skin? The pale white/red color plate is spot on, but just a bit more skin (maybe at the most, the stomach/back could be skin) would make the character a bit more relate-able rather then being seen as a 'drone'. I like the 'snake neck'.

Comment

Maybe the necris also are the perfect cyborg race.
            But not the boring borg-like more trashy b-movie charme.
            Half metallic head here - bionic arm and claw there aso.
            GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

What happened to the original humanoid look? These are not cyborgs ...
              UTLauncher - standalone Unreal Tournament server browser / Download / Github
              ut.rushbase.net - free community hosting for Unreal Tournament assets

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                This reasoning might work for a film, or a slower paced medium. But I don't think it works for a fast-paced arena shooter, where you need to see stuff. Subtlety is less of a priority than clarity. Also, if all of the enhancements are hidden, then he just looks like a normal guy? I think that defeats the purpose of their cool history.
                A normal guy... with dead white skin, white eyes and black tatoos. And who mysteriously kills everyone as soon as he sees them. Like in UC2 or UT2004. I think all those "enhacements" make them less formidable, not more. Think back to UT1 – everyone feared Loque because of his stats that made him really accurate. Not because of his looks at all. Nobody remembers Vector, who had intimidating looks, but everyone remembers Loque because he actually managed to surprise everyone by being the best bot ever, but completely out of the blue. That's a much longer lasting impression, and in my opinion the core of what makes Necris Necris. They don't look threatening (unless you look closely), but they are threatening. Very much so. And they prove it with their actions.

I would certainly not be opposed to it if Loque had a few, elegant and not overbearing, enhancements. But don't make Loque look like Vector instead, that's not what defines him.
                Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

It is a **** fine concept of some kind of a cyberpunk soldier, but it just doesn't look like a Necris to me. I think that their main trait was always simply being the goth guys. At least before UT 3, but the Necris characters there were rather forgettable. So, if you take away their goth-ness, Necris become just generic soldiers. This is what happened in this concept, in my opinion.

Here's a list of things that I believe would make a character easily recognizable as being Necris:
                  - exposed pale white skin
                  - black armor, consisting of metal and leather
                  - medium to light silhouette
                  - some goth accents: chains, runes, tattoos, stylized armor pieces.

I guess adding some visible cybernetic implants wouldn't hurt, if you want to modernize the look. Some black artificial muscle weave on the arms, nanoblack ports, advanced ocular implants, mobility improving leg prosthetics - here are some ideas that could work. Still, I think those additions should be very subtle, in order to manifest two things: that they are bleeding edge technology, not some black market contraptions, and that they are only an addition to the character, not their main flavor.

Comment

I share the sentiment 100% with previous poster. The posted model is great but it does not resemble or represent original Necris.
                    UTLauncher - standalone Unreal Tournament server browser / Download / Github
                    ut.rushbase.net - free community hosting for Unreal Tournament assets

Comment

I love your concept art but right now this guy is pretty grayish which means two things:
                      1) he will be invisible in FFA deathmatch
                      2) adding teamcolors will ruin the initial concept.

I have no idea how to solve these problems in case of necris, but I think they are worth thinking of.
                      ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

- exposed pale white skin.
                        - black armor, consisting of metal and leather.
                        - medium to light silhouette.
                        - some goth accents: chains, runes, tattoos, stylized armor pieces.
                        Check, check and check.

I love your concept art but right now this guy is pretty grayish which means two things:
                        1) he will be invisible in FFA deathmatch
                        2) adding teamcolors will ruin the initial concept.

I have no idea how to solve these problems in case of necris, but I think they are worth thinking of.
                        I have been thinking about that too, so I tried adding team colors to the sleeves and I think it works well. I can post a picture if necessary.

Last edited by Gooba; 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                          I have been thinking about that too, so I tried adding team colors to the sleeves and I think it works well. I can post a picture if necessary.
                          Yeah, it would be nice. From my experience in UT2004 (which is a whole different game, but still) having a pair of colored stripes on a character doesn't really make him stand out.

Also, I think that the whole idea of having a separate skin for non-team based gametypes is very wrong. It's like playing two different games with different characters. Why we can clearly see enemies in TDM but half of them becomes invisible in DM (just like Abaddon was in Ut2004 - a pure disaster)? Maybe we should start designing characters from teamcolors and add DM skins later, I don't know.
                          ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Alright, Gooba, you have some fair points here.

I must say, I didn't realize that his torso was 'naked', it seemed to me more like covered by some sort of synthetic, flexible armor plating. Hm.. now I get it. Indeed, after closer inspection and with the aid of your pointers, I'm starting to get the Necris feel from this concept. Its definitely well thought-through. Still, perhaps stylizing the 'helmet' to look even more like a beast's head, adding some more metal here and there, and replacing some cloth with leather would make the concept more reminiscent of the classic designs?

Comment

His chest looks like armor plating. What would he look like without the helmet? The dark colors and helmet make me think of Zer0 from Borderlands 2.
                              Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                              Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                              Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                              --Captain Crit

Comment

Working...
                              X