No announcement yet.

Necris - Loque Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the NEG or whatever would know if the Necris were made of Nanomachines or not. They've imprisoned and killed some of them, I think they'd have dissected and studied one of them by now and so on. Square one, like original UT is, well there's almost no story behind the Necris, which i believe is not having clever gaps or open mysteries but is actually lack of story. For all its faults, UT3 and UC2 were a step forward for story telling, presentation and creating a coherent universe for the series as they well, actually had something of a story. There was very little before that, it was essentially a bunch of random stuff thrown together.

I don't think the Necris have to be visually cyborgs (i think its okay either way) and they could even have a supernatural explanation. But I find making them look just like gothic metal band members caked in white makeup is silly and uninspiring. :/ This new direction is a little more exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
      Because the NEG or whatever would know if the Necris were made of Nanomachines or not. They've imprisoned and killed some of them, I think they'd have dissected and studied one of them by now and so on.
      This is kind of irrelevant -- Maybe they do, maybe they don't know. Is that the kind of knowledge that would be publicly known? Is the NEG the kind of government that reveals military secrets, or does it play them close to its chest? Maybe they seed false information to muddy the waters of what its intelligence agencies really know.

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
      For all its faults, UT3 and UC2 were a step forward for story telling, presentation and creating a coherent universe for the series as they well, actually had something of a story. There was very little before that, it was essentially a bunch of random stuff thrown together.
      I'm not sure I agree with that, but I respect your right to think otherwise. UC2 and UT3 definitely tried to do more, but doing more is not always doing better in my book, especially when so much of it was cliched and hamfisted.

Originally posted by InspecktahDeck
      This is another really good point, Unreal has always had a lot of insane variety when it comes to characters and locales, we've got room for several different kinds of Necris. Personally I could see some of the concepts here fitting alongside the UT99 Necris and UT2004 Necris. They're all different, but in a universe like UT where we've got robots that are humanoid, and then robots that are much less human-like in appearance, as well as several different kinds of Skaarj with differing anatomy, why not let the Necris have some variety too? The Necris seem like one of those factions that would have a bit more variety in their appearance adding to the mystery of why some of them are brought back that way.
      I agree and I think this is a promising stance on it. In reality we only have one planet and one species to deal with, yet we have huge variations in biological and stylistic appearance. In Unreal Tournament the culture is interstellar and comprises much more than just humans. So I'm totally willing to accept that there are different subfactions within broader groupings. To me if we want to go that route then the key is we need to actually make that kind of explicit. For example, I've always wondered about the relationship of the Necris to Phayder Corporation. Narratively it's tough for me to grasp why the NEG would permit Phayder to continue to exist when the Necris seem like they are constantly killing people, blowing things up, and generally causing mayhem and breaking every law imaginable.

In my eyes, the Necris might have initially been brought into being by something Phayder did, but they have mostly gone crazy and are totally independent entities that don't answer to any authority. The characters we're seeing now might be a different set of Necris manifesting some kind of control mechanism that makes them more loyal to Phayder, which could explain a bit more militaristic feel in their depiction and equipment.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

One thing reading this thread has made me realize is that the Unreal Universe needs some real Lore development and explanation. It doesn't have to be expensive cutscenes, perhaps a writer or somebody at Epic compiling and expanding on the games lore.
        UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
        Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

That all seems really convoluted. Seems much simpler to have them as dead beings revived by nanomachines, who have become fundamentalists after the conversion..I think nanobots fit into 24th century (Hell, they were in Deus Ex series in the 21st Century!! And the series had ideas of an illuminati and new agey cults).

I do think rather than having a vague non-explanation for their origins to make some fake mystery kind of thing, it's important to make them seem connected to the ancient or the occult, rather than just being futuristic augmented borg types. There are other similar things like cyborgs in UT, so it would be good to differentiate. To that point, I think they should look more organic. And have different Necris symbols on the armor and their world should have things like banners with Necris writing, and generally point towards something medieval, ancient and primordial without being like the Skaarj. They can be technological without their technology looking obviously like ours, because it just so advanced. This was done slightly with UT3 but they went with a more middle Eastern aesthetic, which looked really cool, but i'd associate the Necris far more with, basically Vampires and Medieval central Europe! I don't know!

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
          One thing reading this thread has made me realize is that the Unreal Universe needs some real Lore development and explanation. It doesn't have to be expensive cutscenes, perhaps a writer or somebody at Epic compiling and expanding on the games lore.
          Well you're right. Most of the games from the 90s had barely any story other than a cutscene or two or a few bits of text here and there. So you were left to guess about it. It doesn't have to be expensive cutscenes or a giant tome, but it would be good if it was consistent and well, existent. Its a good way to guide things like character and level design.

EDIT:
          [SHOT=CONFIG][/SHOT] I created this strange concept banner for the Necris home world, based on what their mythology might be. I will probably get shot down for it but it was a fun exercise none the less.
          Last edited by Gregori; 12-08-2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
            Jim Brown has claimed in the past that he has something regarding the lore, whatever that may be. The most extensive public information about it is probably on Liandri Archives.
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Well, nothing to add for me, I just wanted to say once more that if this is how the Necris will look:

.....then it's absolutely perfect. Just my opinion here, but I am extremely satisfied with this design.

Comment

I made a thread yesterday about keeping the sense of theatre in unreal tournament.
                This is how I imagine that might work in respect to the latest necris designs.

What epic have done so far great but it lacks alot of personality for me.
                The following is how I imagine different members of the necris squad looking.

I'd be in favour of having the uniforms much more similar this time around so that teams are easy to identify and instead focus on making each member feel like an individual.
                Alot of the past games have made each members armour very distinct but in some ways I feel like the armour should just be a uniform.
                It's the people underneath the uniform that are the interesting part, as long as you develop them.

Comment

ok where is the original thread for these new necris concepts....I need to model one of those over the xmas break! EDIT: found
                  Last edited by seth.; 12-09-2014, 05:53 PM.
                  folio

Comment

Originally posted by Chong View Post
                    I made a thread yesterday about keeping the sense of theatre in unreal tournament.
                    This is how I imagine that might work in respect to the latest necris designs.

What epic have done so far great but it lacks alot of personality for me.
                    The following is how I imagine different members of the necris squad looking.

I'd be in favour of having the uniforms much more similar this time around so that teams are easy to identify and instead focus on making each member feel like an individual.
                    Alot of the past games have made each members armour very distinct but in some ways I feel like the armour should just be a uniform.
                    It's the people underneath the uniform that are the interesting part, as long as you develop them.

They look all like great customizations, but I wonder why the tribal look in so many of them. Going for a voodoo theme?

Comment

Originally posted by InspecktahDeck
                      There's a lot of weird things about this design that I usually don't care for on character models, but they come together very nicely here and it looks great.
                      Yup. Execution isn't matching the latest concept art, but there's a sense of vitality in that character art that I don't get at all with the new ones. Contrasting this character to some of the hairstyle concepts Chong was playing with before it's clear this guy has a stronger identity than the bald Necris concept (whose style ranges from kung fu movie villain to voodoo shaman just with a couple of minor tweaks).
                      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

For me necris shouldn't be mindless zombie-punk-cyborgs made by big corporation to fill their army and start a cult. For me Necris should be small group of inviduals who were rich enough or who made deals with phayder corp, so they could go through very expensive process of bringing them back to live after death causing accidents. Phayder could actually be company completely made from alive non-necris people who are making crapload of money on bringing people back to life without any religious theme behind it. Members of Necris in such scenario would be people coming from different places with main thing connecting them being debt to phayder corp which they are paying by participating in tournament (Unless they were rich enough themselves or had someone else wishing to pay for their reincarnation. In such case we can have Necris people in such team as Thunder Crash or Juggernaut as well).

Other thing worth consideration is how fact of being Necris affect peoples mind. We could assume that their hormone system is not working in normal way, so they can't feel passion to something "from heart" and lack of it annoys them and forces it to emulate it "from mind" which lead them to develop different obsessions. Thats why they are into goth or tribal or punk or medievalistic (Nercis who is into swords and such wearing chest platemail ftw) or militiary or whatever interesting you can figure out. This would make the diverse group of strong interesting individuals instead of army of clones and allow wide range of designs which could satisfy more people. Give them some character and individuality.

For the nanoblack affecting their appearance beyond white skin, black blood and changed eyes. Adding nanoblack tinted skin limits freedom of interesting designs. I would rather create one Necris with skull like tattos. For cybernetics - i would add them to some of them because their bodies were heavily damaged in incidents which cuased their death.

For aspect of mystery of Necris. I would keep nanoblack as most noticeable part of Necrifying someone. The mystery would come from rest of aspects of turning someone into necris (in lore give questions, but not answers), way how it changes people personality and motvation and details of phayder corp (why alive people are doing it and what they want from people who they are having special deals with).

Also not all of necris have to wear black and be an outcast (i guess people would be rather afriad of them). There could be one who have rich and colourful personality and is a cool dude. Just to add more depth to this subrace and show that there are always exceptions.
                        Last edited by Fartuess; 12-13-2014, 07:32 PM.
                        Unofficial Enforcer Model
                        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

While the designs are interesting takes on the Necris, it must be noted that they are primarily group of assassins. The idea of making them look more tribal strays away from what they originally were before. UT3's take on the Necris felt very different and odd in how they were seen as alien-like and the big bad evil guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                            For me necris shouldn't be mindless zombie-punk-cyborgs made by big corporation to fill their army and start a cult. For me Necris should be small group of inviduals who were rich enough or who made deals with phayder corp, so they could go through very expensive process of bringing them back to live after death causing accidents. Phayder could actually be company completely made from alive non-necris people who are making crapload of money on bringing people back to life without any religious theme behind it. Members of Necris in such scenario would be people coming from different places with main thing connecting them being debt to phayder corp which they are paying by participating in tournament (Unless they were rich enough themselves or had someone else wishing to pay for their reincarnation. In such case we can have Necris people in such team as Thunder Crash or Juggernaut as well).

Other thing worth consideration is how fact of being Necris affect peoples mind. We could assume that their hormone system is not working in normal way, so they can't feel passion to something "from heart" and lack of it annoys them and forces it to emulate it "from mind" which lead them to develop different obsessions. Thats why they are into goth or tribal or punk or medievalistic (Nercis who is into swords and such wearing chest platemail ftw) or militiary or whatever interesting you can figure out. This would make the diverse group of strong interesting individuals instead of army of clones and allow wide range of designs which could satisfy more people. Give them some character and individuality.

For the nanoblack affecting their appearance beyond white skin, black blood and changed eyes. Adding nanoblack tinted skin limits freedom of interesting designs. I would rather create one Necris with skull like tattos. For cybernetics - i would add them to some of them because their bodies were heavily damaged in incidents which cuased their death.

For aspect of mystery of Necris. I would keep nanoblack as most noticeable part of Necrifying someone. The mystery would come from rest of aspects of turning someone into necris (in lore give questions, but not answers), way how it changes people personality and motvation and details of phayder corp (why alive people are doing it and what they want from people who they are having special deals with).

Also not all of necris have to wear black and be an outcast (i guess people would be rather afriad of them). There could be one who have rich and colourful personality and is a cool dude. Just to add more depth to this subrace and show that there are always exceptions.
                            Well, originally it wasn't said they were made from a corporation, they were said to be space cultists, assassins, terrorists and blademaidens. I do like your idea that the reanimation process incurs some form of debt, like a faustian pact! I do think that since they originally looked medieval, occultish and gothic, parts of that should be kept in their design.

The other thing I'd stress, is rather than looking really geometric, their tattoos should be more organic, similar to idea of Cognizan's logo. I'd think they should have more cloth (which would look more like a smart carbon nanofibre) than conventional armor. Since they have this nanobot technology, I think it ought to look unconventional or seamless blend into what looks like something ancient. Personally, the look I'd go for is like..ehhh Darth Maul mixed with Dracula and Venom!

Comment

I tried to bridge UT'99 Necris concept with Phayder and nanoblack which came from UC2 and UT3.

For nanoblack being fluid filled with nanites. I would make it extremally expensive and with capacities limited to keeping body alive and substituting internal liquids. Intelligent mulitsked nanites are way too far. It's half step from grey goo (nanite based weapon of mass destruction). And what is point of using rather conventional weapons if you can drop nanite bomb on planet which will kill every human on the surface without affecting anything else, and then turn off? No point for existing Necris assassins. Just make nanites target for kill someone with exact genotype.
                              Unofficial Enforcer Model
                              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

pretty cool !
                                this should be convert in 3D !

Originally posted by Chong View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X