No announcement yet.

Necris - Loque Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta say I've always like the Necris style from UT99. Later games with Necris gave them an interesting look, but too far from the original concept imo. UT99, they actually looked dead. It wasn't too extreme like the typical zombie type, but it enough to get the idea across. Now days, they more like a cyber goth than anything else. That isn't to say the work they've been doing isn't impressive or nice to look at, but it doesn't feel like Necris to me. I still think UT99 had the right idea with them. Just my 2cents is all.

Comment

The only consistent thing about the Unreal Universe is is blatant inconsistency. That said, I will do my best to clear up some myths about the Necris, as here is the official canon (to my understanding, anyway):

The Necris are NOT undead, they are NOT goth, and they are NOT mindless zombies. They are not the same as the Nightmare team from 2k3/4.

The Necris are an offshoot of the Phayder Corporation. They originated as the Phayder security force, and their prowess led to a universal reputation as fearless and efficient assassins. They are also known as "Phayder Assassins" for this reason. [see: UT99] Somewhere along the way, the Phayder corporation developed the Necris process; basically, they could replace someone's blood with nanoblack, a black fluid that is filled with nanotechnology capable of maintaining and rapidly repairing tissue. [See: UT2004] This process COULD be used to bring someone back from the dead, but that is not it's primary purpose. Necrification is a dangerous and incredibly expensive process, both to implement as well as to maintain. The important note here is that while the Phayder Assassins are most commonly called "Necris", not all of them have actually undergone the Necris process - because it has several very scary repercussions.

For example, the nanoblack process has unpredictable effects on the patient's mental state; it was never clear if this was a flaw in the technology, or the sheer mental stress of being raised from the dead. [See: UC2] It is worth noting that some Phayder Assassins chose to become Necris while they were still alive, in order to gain its benefits. In some cases, this too, led to delusions of grandeur, as some (but not all!) viewed themselves as being indestructible and unstoppable.

Thus, the people who HAD undergone the Necrification process began to consider themselves as an elite and superior unit of the Phayder Assassins. In fact, they began to view themselves as superior creatures. This offshoot group self-organized into a structure that was basically a cult. One of these cultists, Akasha, began hearing voices which she claimed were messages from an entity she named as "The Prophet". Under the influence of the Prophet, Akasha appointed herself as "High Inquisitor" and recruited the Necris Elite to help pass judgment on populace of the universe. The Phayder never said whether this happened independently, or if this cult was acting of its own accord. No one knows who the Prophet actually is, or if he was purely a figment of Akasha's imagination. [See: UT3]

Here's another official description I had saved away on my HDD:

PHAYDER CORPORATION AND THE NECRIS
      Little is known about this highly secretive and militant organization. Based off the 6th planet of the Omicron system just outside the *** Nebula, the Phayder Corporation has only ever shown limited interest in the universal tarydium market. They’re better known for their development of nano-technology, specifically its application to genetic modification. They’ve developed a sentient nanoblack ochre which will integrate with any known lifeform, boosting physical prowess, endurance levels, and mental capacity. Such modified individuals are known as the Necris, and are feared across the expanse of the known universe. If stories are to be believed, the Necris are absolutely fearless because nanoblack can even restore life, explaining their stong, but misunderstood spirituality.

Here are the generational images:

UT99
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Necris_UT99.png
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	334100

UT2004

Name:	Necris_UT04.png
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	334101

UC2

Name:	Necris_UC2.png
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	334102

UT3

Name:	Necris_UT3.png
Size:	599.4 KB
ID:	334103

New UT Concept

Name:	Necris_UTNew.png
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	334104

While I can't say with any certainty yet, I would predict that the new Necris will not be members of the Cult of the Prophet, but will be attached to the Phayder Corporation as their next generation of super soldier.

If you think this is at all confusing, just wait until I try and explain the difference between the Corrupt, the Automatons, and the Robot teams...
      Last edited by Entropy; 04-06-2015, 03:57 PM.
      Jim Brown
      @EntropicDev
      Epic Games

Comment

Nice write-up Jim. Thanks!
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I have made major modifications to the Necris page on Liandri Archives to incorporate this new information. It would be great if someone could review it and make any changes/cleanup that seems appropriate. Also, I want to get those images from the different games on the page as well.

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Necris
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
            If you think this is at all confusing, just wait until I try and explain the difference between the Corrupt, the Automatons, and the Robot teams...
            I'm honestly looking forward to it.
            Attached Files
            3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
              The only consistent thing about the Unreal Universe is is blatant inconsistency. That said, I will do my best to clear up some myths about the Necris, as here is the official canon (to my understanding, anyway)...

Jim, while I don't have any real objections to the text / explanations you've provided here, I do want to draw a distinction between "canon" and "official." This might seem like nitpicking, but information delivered outside of the work itself is always non-canonical. George R. R. Martin might say, "Jon Snow is X" but that information is non-canonical as long as it doesn't appear in the text itself.

I'd also make an appeal to never do an explicit info-dump like this in the game. Information about the game world should always come from a source from within the game world and not from a presumably omniscient perspective. Using an omniscient narrator voice to convey information about the universe destroys the richness of the game world removing characterization, ambiguity and complexity. The Unreal universe already has a lot of ambiguity and semi-contradictions, in my mind the best way to handle this in a non-hamfisted way is to absolutely make use of those contradictions to create a richer, more fertile game world. Narrative 'contradictions,' when they aren't originating from an omniscient narrator, are no longer contradictions but characterization. Not only does this create a fuller and more convincing game world, but creates room for a lore/narrative community to develop.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

That was a good summary of the different versions of the Necris so far with their background. My own thoughts on it, are that most of the previous stuff made no canonical sense because UT2kx was based on Unreal Championship, and the story for that game started out with none of original characters, supposedly set sometime after the original Liandri tournaments, it had like 6 specific planets with a race for each, and maps on each one....and then Malcolm, Lauren and Brock were added to UT2k3's roster..and then UT2k4 added loads of old characters back in and so on, because UT2k3 alienated some of the fan base with its lack of classic characters, maps and assault. Then UC2 had egyptians called Nakthi, but in the context of a Liandri tournament in the 24th century...not the alien galactic empire thingy.

Since this game is just called Unreal Tournament, and is not a direct sequel to UT3 or the other games in the series, its more like a reboot...I think it would be perfectly fine if the ingredients where taken from all the previous games but it doesn't have to adhere to a canon, it just has to be in the spirit of the previous games and their characters. So it can be all pretty much retconned from my point of view into a fresh take on it.

Oh and for what its worth, a lot of people complained about the story aspects of UC2 and UT3... i didn't, because even though some of it was silly, everything before was so threadbare that it was a huge step up in presentation. The worlds in both those games had a coherent look, characters that fit in their universes, a very clean professional presentation style and maps that fit together in an order. It's probably not in the budget to do anything to that level again, since this is a free multiplayer focused game for PC and not consoles. Artistically, some of the levels and characters were amazing. But that's all lava under the bridge now!

Comment

This isn't necessarily a reboot and I kind if don't want it to be. It will make a lot more sense if it builds off the previous games. I'm fine with it being a sequel let's just retcon lettuce generators please...
                  HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                  BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                    This isn't necessarily a reboot and I kind if don't want it to be. It will make a lot more sense if it builds off the previous games. I'm fine with it being a sequel let's just retcon lettuce generators please...
                    Okay No FlaGs or Unreal "Tournament" Warfare!!!...but i actually don't mind if they made it into its own continuity set in some random year of the Liandri Grand Tournament (2321?), with the basic ingredients : you have your Xan, Skaarj, Necris, Iron Guard, Thunder Crash and Corrupt...and some of the previous worlds of UT, particularly Na Pali.

But as to the story to explain it, that can take the basic DNA of all the previous ideas and turn it into a new continuity that is internally coherent with itself. I am thinking of how for example all the James Bond films don't make sense put all together, that couldn't be the same character in the same universe, as he would be well into his late 90s by now if that were the case. But all those films have a bunch of classic ingredients that make them James Bond including his catch famous phrase, the intro titles, the classic theme tune but remixed, the cars, gadgets, Q, M and some of the villains. But they're now modernized!

Comment

I like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X