Xan Kriegor MK IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Xan Kriegor MK IV

Originally did this concept for a UT3 mod I am working on. It should at least help figure out what UT4 should look like.
    If the forum is interested I can keep this thread updated on my progress.
    Attached Files
    My Tumblr

Clearly a lot of talented work has been put to it and the quality is amazing but it looks a bit too comic book like in my opinion. It's also quite bulky. I'd love to see this toned down a bit.
    UTLauncher - standalone Unreal Tournament server browser / Download / Github
    ut.rushbase.net - free community hosting for Unreal Tournament assets

Comment

Thanks I can definitely see the comic-bookyness. Is there any specific feature(s) you can point to that says it to you?

I glanced over the threads but didn't see anything that was talking about the art direction as of now. Do you know of a thread or threads I can look at to get that info?
      I ask because I would like to see if I can contribute more effectively.
      My Tumblr

Comment

Wow, this looks awesome!

Comment

Hmm, this is more Xan Mk. 3.1 than 4. Not a whole lot of changes since the last one... And there have been quite a few Xan concepts already.

As for the direction, there's nothing too official about it. Perna gave a few comments on some of Gooba's concepts and that's about it: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ll=1#post90859
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by Iron_Skin View Post
            Thanks I can definitely see the comic-bookyness. Is there any specific feature(s) you can point to that says it to you?
            I can't speak for him of course, but if I were to point something out that says it to me it's the fact he's got only four fingers instead of five.

Comment

Definitely on to something with this design. Reminds me of the house robots from Robot Wars.

Comment

I hope you don't find this insulting, but he's adorable.

I'm not sure how he'll fit in the world but I really love this design.
                Stacey Conley
                -----------------------------
                Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                Epic Games, Inc.
                Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Your kind words and critiques are most appreciated.
                  Ok so obviously my intent of making him recognizable as Xan, but the next iteration, has backfired a bit. Now I am wondering what do you keep from a past design to make a new design look like it is still the same character?
                  So far as I can tell it would be iconic elements such as Xan's eyes, color, murderous intent, elitism. Though if you are pushing the design into the future the visual language is going to change.

I am going to continue with this design and model it weather or not I will remember to post it here is uncertian.

Flak,
                  Adorable? lol I cant say that was my intent but now I am thinking that it may have not been the best decision to simplify him as my intent was aggression and brute strength.
                  My Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, this concept is looks very much like the Mark III. But there's no reason Xan Mark III couldn't be running around after ten years. A battle ravaged-Mark III with bits of salvaged armor facing off against a brand new Mark IV with a different, sleek design would be interesting.
                    Last edited by jefe; 08-08-2014, 07:18 PM.
                    My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

Nice work indeed! Though he reminds me a lot of UT2004 version.
                      I'd just suggest modifying proportions a little like someone already said, since he has some kind of comic look. I think his waist should be wider if not more covered.

Comment

That chest is really big for the rest of Xan.
                        Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                        Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                        Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                        --Captain Crit

Comment

cool !

best regards
                          Blacky

Comment

Overall I really like this direction. The single wide eye is there, the power cans are there, the armored bulk is there. It feels like Xan.

Some things I don't care for is the layered armor and the profusion of hole cut metal. It makes him feel more like a junkyard bot rather than a vicious tournament champion that the largest corporation in the galaxy has invested in. Also I don't really like how the asymmetry in the design seems like its there for its own sake. Also, the proportions on the lower body feel off a bit.

Minor modifications for proportions and made the back piece one set of cans larger. Also, head fins. That's one other iconic bit of Xan this needed.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Xan_Concept_modified.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	329835

Comment

This looks awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X