Necris = The Pirates of Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Necris = The Pirates of Space

So, I finally got around to trying to do some kind of real character concept, after a few extremely rough ones in the first couple of weeks of this project... and I've chosen the Necris, since I don't like what I've been seeing for them that much.

I have been thinking about the Necris for a long time here and from the beginning, I knew I wanted them to look like greasy, dirty space pirates. The idea is that they are criminals and scavengers, and so their look does not consist of all the latest and best gear, but more haphazard. They might find one glove only somewhere maybe, some cloth or tape to tie around their arms, a grill of some kind to fashion into armor, and so on.

This also ties in well to the original look of the Necris. However I wanted them to be slightly more rotten looking flesh wise as well. Otherwise they look a little too "prettyboy" and that's kind of weird. So in my version, you can see things like parts of the jaw or sunken in eye sockets, patches of hair only, a chunk out of the ear... things like that.

Basically the only thing I have preserved from UT3 is this idea of "nanoblack", or something they use to keep themselves animated/"alive". The tubes are just taped on and weaved through the armor and such to keep it in place.

Welp that's all I can think of to say about it for now.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Lookin good, but i'm not sure about making them so much "rotten"... I mean, right now it looks more like a zombie.

Not sure of what is the main idea about the Necris, but i always had the impression they were more like vampires (although without the fangs). You know, white skin, angular faces, dark rings in the eyes, some veins...

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I don't quite like this scavenger/zombie approach. Most Necris live on Omricron anyway, and make a large amount of their own armor. They deserve to look more vampiric, per hi-ban, and less zombie.
      Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
      Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
      Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
      --Captain Crit

Comment

Necris are resurrected dead people. It makes total sense for them to look dead-ish. This might be too far but it's not the wrong direction. I really didn't like the way they looked in UT3. I much preferred the UT/2k4/UC2 progression.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

The Necris are not scavengers or pirates by lore. Phayder is an extremely rich corporation. Now granted, I could see some rogue Necris becoming that, but not the elite Phayder assassin corps. Same with decay, if they don't get enough nanoblack it makes sense, but if they do, then not so much. And of the two, I'd rather see the elite assassins in the Tournament, not the rejects.

Also, this makes me think of the zombie pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean.
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

this seems like a case where people just want an "hd remake", as several versions have been made by several people going in other directions and none are accepted. why is "rich vampire" so important and yet a staple classic weapon can be changed willy nilly?

Comment

I'm personally not against any of the iterations I see, as none of them are 'final'. In fact I want to see as many Necris iterations by as many artists as possible. Every work of art has its own idea, reasoning, and visual style. Some may merely resemble a particular faction or character, while others are closer to the originals. However, even the ones that merely resemble do have a certain idea that could contribute to the overall concept. I prefer not one artist define a single character or faction entirely on their own, but eventually do a round up of all the iterations across the board and pick out the things we want from each of the concepts. And then re-roll them into a single cleaner concept. I guess that would've been the ideal community driven way, but it is rather complicated.

I've looked at both your concept and Gooba's and I definitely see there is some interesting visual grasps at how a Necris should look like in different ways.
              Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                this seems like a case where people just want an "hd remake", as several versions have been made by several people going in other directions and none are accepted.
                I think most people would agree that the UT99 Necris were the ones people liked most. In UT2k4 they were nice but they lost much of their "assassin/warrior" aspect, and in UT3... well... in UT3 they were transformed into... hell i wouldn't know how to describe that. Bio/Robotic suits? Mini Mech-like bio armors? Armored Drag Queens with high heels? People inside insectoid armors?

a staple classic weapon can be changed willy nilly?
                I am generally against this, i think you already know. I think most of the people who want weapon changes are either new players who think "Unreal"="anything unrealistic", or players who only played UT3 and still think UT = Gears of War style.

Comment

this seems like a case where people just want an "hd remake", as several versions have been made by several people going in other directions and none are accepted. why is "rich vampire" so important and yet a staple classic weapon can be changed willy nilly?
                  Because weapons don't have any strings attached. They have very little lore about them and their manufacturers can easily change. Meanwhile characters are a lot less mutable, as they aren't just a piece of equipment. You'd have to do a lot of explaining to change something that's established in terms of characters.

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                  in UT3... well... in UT3 they were transformed into... hell i wouldn't know how to describe that. Bio/Robotic suits? Mini Mech-like bio armors? Armored Drag Queens with high heels? People inside insectoid armors?
                  Borg.

Comment

People always talk about how "this is UT, the story doesn't matter". Now it suddenly does? I would care about the general backstory, but even I haven't read the backstory about each faction, nor do I care.

Comment

Though I have to admit, I'd prefer space pirates over goth vampires any day.
                      ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

People always talk about how "this is UT, the story doesn't matter". Now it suddenly does? I would care about the general backstory, but even I haven't read the backstory about each faction, nor do I care.
                        Uh, those people are not me. I'm pretty much the loremaster of the series, so for me the story is of utmost importance.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                          Uh, those people are not me. I'm pretty much the loremaster of the series, so for me the story is of utmost importance.
                          Nice! Guess I found someone I could refer to if I need some lore questions answered!
                          Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            I'm pretty much the loremaster of the series, so for me the story is of utmost importance.
                            UTmost importance

Comment

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                              Lookin good, but i'm not sure about making them so much "rotten"... I mean, right now it looks more like a zombie.

Not sure of what is the main idea about the Necris, but i always had the impression they were more like vampires (although without the fangs). You know, white skin, angular faces, dark rings in the eyes, some veins...

Just my 2 cents.
                              Actually, Freylis, in her portrait on the character select screen (which were portraits painted by Shane Caudle if I'm not mistaken) of the PS2 version of UT, did have vampire fangs. Unfortunately it seems these images are not present on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X