Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a small checklist of what I think makes a Necris a Necris:
    Resurrected look - check.
    Leather straps for the tiny touch of goth - check.
    White, iris- and pupil-less eyes - check.
    Dark blue to black and grey armour colours - check.
    Armour of a fighter or assassin - check.
    Old-looking hair - check.
    Pipes pumping stuff (nanoblack) into the body - check.

What would be lacking are tattoos but not all characters have to have them imo - well, on this one it would also end up being too busy, so leaving them out is a good choice of design.

I like what you did there Henrik and I think it captures the spirit of the Necris very well. All I'd change would be the rotten wounds in the face. I think the skin does a pretty good job at giving that certain resurrected-people vibe already. I'm not against showing such stuff, but I think it gives a bit too much of a "simple zombie" look to the face there. I feel like this character might have too much going on with those wounds too, basically a pretty busy face due to this, so I would recommend to remove them or lessen them.
    Last edited by Sly.; 08-16-2014, 05:47 PM.
    S l y .

Comment

adding some algaes could make them look like dead bodies from deep sea, little bioshock feeling could be good

p.s fun fact is that pirates didn't wear eye patch to look scary or because they didn't have eye but to make one eye used to darknes when they atack other ship and they go under ship deck where usually was very dark. Using candles could create fire so only captain was using it to read maps and stuf
      Last edited by pR8; 08-16-2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
        Pipes pumping stuff (nanoblack) into the body - check.
        Only title that had this as far as I know is UT3, and a lot of people including myself weren't really thrilled with the lore / direction in that one. It's a fair list otherwise.

I like your concept Henrik, but well, the execution isn't there to really sell this. I want someone who exudes style, grace and menace. Your character is technically pretty decent but missing that soul.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Actually I like this one, at least much more than funky/borg take on Necris.
          I've always seen them as some kind of undead race/humans, but not neccessarily vampires... only thing they should have in common with vampires would be the skin and maybe eyes.
          TBH it's still too... undead to me (kind of "ghoulish, I dunno), but I like it. And it IS Necris, yet it does have some new take on them included.
          Would love to see female version personally. Maybe Freylis/Maime?

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
            I like your concept Henrik, but well, the execution isn't there to really sell this. I want someone who exudes style, grace and menace. Your character is technically pretty decent but missing that soul.
            We want different things from the necris. There are going to be enough pretty characters I think but very few that feel like actual criminals, when that has always been a theme of UT. As far as execution I suppose I lack the practice at this point. I may try to refine it a bit and clean up the face at least then see how it feels.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
              We want different things from the necris. There are going to be enough pretty characters I think but very few that feel like actual criminals, when that has always been a theme of UT. As far as execution I suppose I lack the practice at this point. I may try to refine it a bit and clean up the face at least then see how it feels.
              I wasn't looking for 'pretty,' but rather pose / body language that feels assertive and aggressive, rather than the relaxed and effeminate vibe I'm getting from your piece. That criticism is geared more toward the execution of what you did than the concept specifically, since the concept is fine.

Splitting hairs: I'm not sure I see the Necris specifically as space-pirates but perhaps more as interstellar vampires with elements of Vampire Hunter D and Alastair Reynolds' Conjoiners from his Revelation Space novels. Maybe it's just my own impression but I feel like the Necris are totally self-sufficient and wouldn't need to resort to piracy (at least in my mind, pirates are typically represented as kind of rag-tag, ill-equipped and making due with scavenging parts and supplies from their victims). I see pirate-like elements in their personal representations but socially and in their background lore, they aren't the kind of group that I perceive as being greedy for material wealth or often needing to salvage supplies.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I personally prefer the unreal championship 2 iteration of them, stylish and slick (not all of them have to be that way but it sure would help if there would be a wider range/variety to them so some do look slick and stylish while some look more..armored/heavy), very human like but i don't really see that as a problem.

I already posted it in another thread but it's more suitable for these kind of threads (artwork/concept art from unreal championship 2).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uc2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	329975
                Last edited by Berg; 08-20-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                  So, I finally got around to trying to do some kind of real character concept, after a few extremely rough ones in the first couple of weeks of this project... and I've chosen the Necris, since I don't like what I've been seeing for them that much.

I have been thinking about the Necris for a long time here and from the beginning, I knew I wanted them to look like greasy, dirty space pirates. The idea is that they are criminals and scavengers, and so their look does not consist of all the latest and best gear, but more haphazard. They might find one glove only somewhere maybe, some cloth or tape to tie around their arms, a grill of some kind to fashion into armor, and so on.

This also ties in well to the original look of the Necris. However I wanted them to be slightly more rotten looking flesh wise as well. Otherwise they look a little too "prettyboy" and that's kind of weird. So in my version, you can see things like parts of the jaw or sunken in eye sockets, patches of hair only, a chunk out of the ear... things like that.

Basically the only thing I have preserved from UT3 is this idea of "nanoblack", or something they use to keep themselves animated/"alive". The tubes are just taped on and weaved through the armor and such to keep it in place.

Welp that's all I can think of to say about it for now.
                  This concept has great similarity.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X