UT Character Flood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT Character Flood!

I think we all are getting tired of seeing the same boring characters over and over again.

Anyone wanna change that?

I have an idea. Let's get any UT character that you want, make a full-fledged model out of it (Like my Lilith hand-drawn design that never got anywhere.) with any software, progress can be shown here, and upload it to discord as files for Epic and the UT forums for us all to check out.

How about that? Not such a garbage idea now, is it?

Anyone with modelling software up for it, or are you just going to push me off again?

If it was that easy it probably would have happened by now.
    Making character models is a huge pile of work and not a lot of people are skilled enough to match the quality set by the game and those who can probably can't afford to put in weeks of work without compensation.

Other than that there are a few more facts that work against this...Characters and customization seem to be very low on the priority list.

-While it's possible to get things ingame, people can only use them locally. When using custom characters and items online they default back to Taye which makes the whole thing kind of pointless.
    -Custom skins are also pointless because characters default to blue or red teamskins anyway
    -The marketplace hasn't been updated in forever even though there were some very promising items in the works

Unfortunately because of that a lot of people got frustrated and left.
    I really hope everything get's worked out and we can create custom characters and items once the game has reached beta status.
    Last edited by Slaught; 04-30-2017, 05:47 PM.
    Current Projects
    Custom Thunder Crash Skins - WIP/Download
    Custom Necris Skin - Alanna - WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Slaught View Post
      If it was that easy it probably would have happened by now.
      Making character models is a huge pile of work and not a lot of people are skilled enough to match the quality set by the game and those who can probably can't afford to put in weeks of work without compensation.

Other than that there are a few more facts that work against this...Characters and customization seem to be very low on the priority list.

-While it's possible to get things ingame, people can only use them locally. When using custom characters and items online they default back to Taye which makes the whole thing kind of pointless.
      -Custom skins are also pointless because characters default to blue or red teamskins anyway
      -The marketplace hasn't been updated in forever even though there were some very promising items in the works

Unfortunately because of that a lot of people got frustrated and left.
      I really hope everything get's worked out and we can create custom characters and items once the game has reached beta status.
      Unfortunately most of what you said is true. Maybe we can get the word spread out on Discord that Character Customization needs to be updated. Hopefully that can happen in Beta.

Comment

It's a two-sided coin; make something too easy to use or do and you'll get a boatload of low-quality stuff, make it too difficult and you'll get nothing. I think it's true that UT will need tools to be developed that do simplify processes more, but not to the point that just anyone will do it.
        My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
          It's a two-sided coin; make something too easy to use or do and you'll get a boatload of low-quality stuff, make it too difficult and you'll get nothing. I think it's true that UT will need tools to be developed that do simplify processes more, but not to the point that just anyone will do it.
          Well it's less about quality assurement and more about giving the people an option to publish their work.
          Like I said, what's the point of putting in so much effort if people can't even use the custom characters that were created?
          Some people like to keep it lore and style consistent, others like anime models or Homer Simpson...At least the option to have custom characters ingame should be there, and if the other online players don't have the model installed it could still be defaulted to Taye, just like in the older games.
          I understand that this may be included at a later stage but I don't think it's reasonable to keep people waiting over two years for a feature that a lot of players expected from the start.
          Current Projects
          Custom Thunder Crash Skins - WIP/Download
          Custom Necris Skin - Alanna - WIP

Comment

"Quality set by the game" quality is very subjective. Ever looked at tayes eyes up close? Also, having a starting point might be very fun, polished or not. Just like most of ut right now.

Perhaps Dev team could help with guidelines and doing some finishing touches.
            Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
            www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slaught View Post

Well it's less about quality assurement and more about giving the people an option to publish their work.
              Like I said, what's the point of putting in so much effort if people can't even use the custom characters that were created?
              Some people like to keep it lore and style consistent, others like anime models or Homer Simpson...At least the option to have custom characters ingame should be there, and if the other online players don't have the model installed it could still be defaulted to Taye, just like in the older games.
              I understand that this may be included at a later stage but I don't think it's reasonable to keep people waiting over two years for a feature that a lot of players expected from the start.
              Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you, but my point stands, as does yours.

Variety is the spice of life and a game, in this context. So, yes, I agree with you but again, open the door too wide and you'll have a messy house. Nobody - least of all me - is saying that custom characters shouldn't happen but my point is there simply has to be some barrier to entry; while quality control may not be high on your list of priorities, it needs to be considered or cannot be disregarded wholesale.
              Last edited by Carbon; 05-02-2017, 08:48 AM.
              My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

Working...
              X