X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
    Agreed. Current nanoblack seems technically advanced enough to render mechanical parts pointless. I would make nanoblack uncapable of changing body of people who use it (black "paint" in current designs). It should only replace body fluids and help cells come back to live. Transporting oxygen, nutritients, fighting of germs, heal minor wounds (scratches) and be flawed with transporting hormones (which alters personality). Basically enchanced cyberblood in alpha stage of development .
    ^This makes more sense.
    I thought about the black skin parts as some kind of makeup, some kind of tribal painting.
    But this Borg-like mechanical parts are unnecessary and are too much in the direction of the Strogg from Quake4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
    Personally i accept nanoblack. It can bridge UT'99 and UC2 Necris concept and not deny UT3 Necris from the start (which would be heartbreaking for TheoRiginal ). We can move mystery somewhere else. I was writing few months ago that nanoblack and necrification could affect and evolve personality of those who are ressurected and if we put emphasis on wide variety of strong personalities with back stories of Necris team members and make "What happened in their mind after Necrification" a mystery. Although if we are not going to replace previous mystery with new one, then revealing their only secret is kinda disapointing.
    To me this isn't really satisfying since the behavior of technology is predictable and correctable. What you're essentially looking for is a god of the gaps explanation for why we have this faction of antisocial badasses. It's statistically improbable (verging on impossible) for nanomachines that are rewiring neurons in the brain to magically turn every person undergoing the Necrification process into a psychopathic killer with an affinity for black by mistake.

Given that it's statistically improbable that this is the only 'success' result, then clearly there must be other results. Who are they? How do they differ from the Necris we know? Is there any faction identity left in the word 'Necris' when the process we're using to identify a 'Necris' is likely to look and behave entirely differently from a 'Necris'?

Furthermore we can also believe that for the most part, the mental side effects of the Necrification process are probably not intentional. Which tells us that the 'Necris' we know are essentially a fraction of the failed byproducts of this technology. Not exactly the coolest backstory for these guys. If we advance the timeline 50-100 years, are the Necris basically the obsolete castoffs of a brighter nanotechnology-infused future?*

* This actually sounds like an interesting and semi-tragic story to tell, but it's also one that's not terribly suitable for UT or what I'd like to see done with the Necris in-universe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think that Epic staff feel like this when they enter this topic:
    http://img-9gag-ftw.9cache.com/photo/aWWL2B3_460sv.mp4

Originally posted by Wail View Post
    To me it stretches credibility to posit we have nanotechnology that can resurrect the dead, but to give them any of the unique identifying characteristics we associate with Necris (whether psychological or visual). To me this is a big glaring problem that really has never been addressed. When you pull back the curtain to reveal the explanation to a mystery, that explanation has to make sense or the reveal is pointless. Nanoblack, as an 'explanation' offers us nothing and, at least to me is contradictory with the general behavior we'd expect from having effective nanotechnology.
    Personally i accept nanoblack. It can bridge UT'99 and UC2 Necris concept and not deny UT3 Necris from the start (which would be heartbreaking for TheoRiginal ). We can move mystery somewhere else. I was writing few months ago that nanoblack and necrification could affect and evolve personality of those who are ressurected and if we put emphasis on wide variety of strong personalities with back stories of Necris team members and make "What happened in their mind after Necrification" a mystery. Although if we are not going to replace previous mystery with new one, then revealing their only secret is kinda disapointing.

Why would someone whose entire body could be reshaped at a microscopic level have obvious shunts and wires coming out of their body (clear vulnerable spots)? Why would they want to retain a distinctive visual appearance that helps others identify their otherwise invisible capabilities? The explaneations Chris has offered sound neat as in, "Oh yeah, stealth mode, cool!" but fall flat when you actually think about them because thy are reasoning backwards from the premise that these guys have these features and then trying to explain why these features exist, rather than thinking about how we can expect this technology to actually behave* and extrapolating from that.
    Agreed. Current nanoblack seems technically advanced enough to render mechanical parts pointless. I would make nanoblack uncapable of changing body of people who use it (black "paint" in current designs). It should only replace body fluids and help cells come back to live. Transporting oxygen, nutritients, fighting of germs, heal minor wounds (scratches) and be flawed with transporting hormones (which alters personality). Basically enchanced cyberblood in alpha stage of development .

Originally posted by Blackcrack View Post
    Hi,

and by the way, wth it's wrong with this necris, ?
    In comparrision with official male one - nothing. The thing is that we're still not sure if we're liking official one

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why would someone whose entire body could be reshaped at a microscopic level have obvious shunts and wires coming out of their body (clear vulnerable spots)?
    I just wanted to make it clear that I think this looks dumb too. Not really necessary.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know who the Hellions are. Their version of punk isn't the only type of punk there is.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jaycemonde View Post
    Personally, I'm just not sure why punk has to be a no-go. I can understand the way the Necris are dressed and I can understand their current lack of personal flair, but punk hairstyles are always in fashion, and you can't really get much more personal than crazy 'dos.
    There are already punks in the UT universe: The Hellions http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Hell...er_biographies

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cafe View Post
    I think the necris concepts look pretty cool, I just don't like nanoblack. Necris, imo, should all have some sort of death blow scar on their model. They did all supposedly die. Think it would make sense if they had a giant scar or something to show how it happened.
    That'd be a pretty kickass way to show the coveted individuality on this particular type of Necris, actually. Maybe there could be a "bodygroup" dedicated to embellished scars, like they're showing off just how much damage they were able to recover from when they came back to life. Sort of like scarification but not entirely intentional.

Personally, I'm just not sure why punk has to be a no-go. I can understand the way the Necris are dressed and I can understand their current lack of personal flair, but punk hairstyles are always in fashion, and you can't really get much more personal than crazy 'dos.
    Last edited by Jaycemonde; 04-03-2015, 06:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT99 Necris were badass. The UT4 concepts are not Necris. They are a Zorg-Borg-Punk-Zombie-Frankenstein-Military mashup, which as a design can look cool, but it has nothing to do with the Necris.

It's the same as if you take an apple and you try to sell it as a banana by using the argument "it's a good fruit". An apple being good does not make it a banana, because they are completely different fruits. Same happens with the "UT4 necris". The design can look more or less cool, depending on who you ask. But they are not Necris.

If you compare the UT99 Necris with this concepts, you will see that they have absolutely nothing in common. 0.00%. Different armor, different eyes... Not even the skin color, not even a single hair.
    They lack every physical characteristic from the Necris, and they have plenty of physical characteristics which are not from the Necris. Therefore, they are not Necris.
    Last edited by hi-ban; 04-03-2015, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Because it looks badass. Ultimately the story, to me at least, isn't super important. I guess the battle scar idea was more intended to give a subtle way to enhance their back story and give an interesting way differentiate between the characters (In a similar way to what Perna intended to use the nanoblack face paint for).

I mean the only way to resolve the problems you are bringing up is to say that they look the way they do intentionally. They keep their scars because they are intimidating. Their eyes glow white because it's supposed to be spooky as ****. Doesn't really need to make sense if you look at it that way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To me it stretches credibility to posit we have nanotechnology that can resurrect the dead, but to give them any of the unique identifying characteristics we associate with Necris (whether psychological or visual). To me this is a big glaring problem that really has never been addressed. When you pull back the curtain to reveal the explanation to a mystery, that explanation has to make sense or the reveal is pointless. Nanoblack, as an 'explanation' offers us nothing and, at least to me is contradictory with the general behavior we'd expect from having effective nanotechnology.

Why would someone whose entire body could be reshaped at a microscopic level have obvious shunts and wires coming out of their body (clear vulnerable spots)? Why would they want to retain a distinctive visual appearance that helps others identify their otherwise invisible capabilities? The explanations Chris has offered sound neat as in, "Oh yeah, stealth mode, cool!" but fall flat when you actually think about them because they are reasoning backwards from the premise that these guys have these features and then trying to explain why these features exist, rather than thinking about how we can expect this technology to actually behave* and extrapolating from that.

* And again, this is probably just my level of overthinking but I don't feel like hand-wavey explanations of, "It's unpredictable and unreliable..." are responses that satisfy the legitimate questions posed here. Just strains credibility on too many levels to think that we can create technology to raise the dead, but we can't control it well enough to make the people that use it look cosmetically normal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I liked the nanoblack better in UC2 I guess with the bits of red on it. Kept the models from being black and white (i.e. invisible).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the necris concepts look pretty cool, I just don't like nanoblack. Necris, imo, should all have some sort of death blow scar on their model. They did all supposedly die. Think it would make sense if they had a giant scar or something to show how it happened.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Since apaprently the majority here are UT players that didn't move on, you're probably right. You are an exception here if you asked for anything which isn't industrial, un-futuristic & military design.
    But how is it arrogant if I dislike the design? I explicitly mentioned "good modelling" to give the creator the credits he deserves, but I never lie just to please somebody. I've given my arguments why it doesn't satisfy me at all. If the creator of it was insulted, I'd be very much surprised, but he could tell me and I would explain my (personal & subjective) opinion to him and that he mustn't take different tastes as insults to his ambitious working.

Since it's in line with Perna's punk-zombie-soldier concept which I dislike, I have nothing to post in his thread. Others may like it and should be able to get it for their char customisations, why should I criticize it? I only feel the need to expresss my concerns with a design if it's supposed to be the stock design. Only then, it will affect me definitely.
    Last edited by TheoRiginal; 04-06-2015, 09:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
    Yes Blacky, good modelling but as a design, that looks pretty crappy to me. Punk is a no-go, cyborg-top with kargo pants is the next no-go, total lack of elegance and subversion is the ultimate no-go and it's really looking like a more militarized, unpolished "drifters" design.
    I think your view of what a good design is is just completely skewed compared to most of the rest of the people here. This character right here looks a whole lot more convincing than any of the necris in UT3, the only wrong I can agree with are the pants, I'd prefer to see something more in line with the torso, but this goes for the male one as well.

You should also tone down the arrogance in your posts a bit, not sure if intentional so just saying... The guy that made the model worked his *** off while receiving feedback from the community, I find it strange that you weren't there to give any feedback then if you are so critical of the necris design, and instead completely insult it here.

Here's the thread for the record: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Necris-sculpt

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes Blacky, good modelling but as a design, that looks pretty crappy to me. Punk is a no-go, cyborg-top with kargo pants is the next no-go, total lack of elegance and subversion is the ultimate no-go and it's really looking like a more militarized, unpolished "drifters" design.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X