Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the game is not a prequel. Making prequels forces you to design things a certain way to maintain consistency which, even though you don't care at all, is still important in a game like this.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
      LOL...

Malcolm is presumably the "winner" of UT. Gorge is the "winner" of 2k3. Jakob is the "winner" of 2k4. The problem with UT3 is that it's not a tournament so we can just pretend DemoGuy is some poor scrub redshirt that died first in the war and then ignore the story in UT3 forevermore.
      And then comes a post which makes you lose all sympathy for Sir_Brizz again. Just don't smack talk about UT3, dude!
      Who cares if there is no official tournament winner and who it would be from older UTs? The most popular protagonists must get their comeback of course.
      And I posted the Tekken video link as example to show exactly how you can have char celebration and backdrop story without any story, cutscenes or campaign, simply by some short idle menu clips.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
        Most of the character designs from original UT have more "Metal" influence than they do Cyberpunk, particularly the Necris.

Take this classic UT image.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13742[/ATTACH]

Compare to a classic Metal album cover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13743[/ATTACH]

The stylistic elements are so similar you could put a band name on the top image and it'd basically become an album cover at that point.
        This isn't a mark against it either, the elements it's using in this composition make you think, "Wow, cool, I want to be that guy." It's very effective.

The Necris do have a strong 'Goth' / Vampiric vibe to them as well, but this isn't incompatible with the Metal styles they are portraying.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13744[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13745[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13746[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13747[/ATTACH]
        Illustration: Male Metalhead or Male Necris? Give this guy a chestplate instead of a T-shirt and it'd basically be indistinguishable Basic Corpse-Paint Metal look, the exact same menacing features and characteristics that the Necris are meant to embody Vampy Female metalhead look. This look is a little less overtly sexual than UT99 Necris, and could add some Goth elements, but it's still in the same book. More basic female metalhead look. Again has many of the same design elements we see in Necris like criss-cross drawstrings, cut away sections, etc.
        Very good point.
        I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but it seems that's something Chris Perna's version of the necris is lacking so far, other than looking too much like drones.

Originally posted by Fly Dungas View Post
        I truly mean no offense to anyone when I say this, but bringing back Jester as some sort of "good Necris" sounds like something that would happen in comic book or a TV series that's been running for a few seasons too long. Seems a little too much like a "fairy tale ending" for a pretty dark dystopian world.
        Still that's more effort than Epic will be putting into the story. They made it clear during one of their streams that story isn't a priority to them, and they're focusing on gameplay.
        And I guess that's the way it should be.
        Chances are these little fanfics are no where near Epic's radar, and are just as cheesey/corny/repulsive/laughable to them as they are to you.
        So there's really no threat of these making it into the next UT.
        Anything related to story in these forums are just fanboy indulges.
        Let us dream.

Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
        Would surely be pretty cliché comic writing (just for being an insolveable drama which solves itself magically) but not bad at all imo (compared to some GeorgeLucas twists ) and from the perspective of a player who was amazed by UT3's story and cutscenes and who needs a resolution of the cliffhangers, it's the most amazing version that I can think of (it saves Jester and gives the Ronin their deserved revenge)!
        I think "he saved his sister and they're a team again -BUT WAIT! She's a GOOD NECRIS now!" is too much of a happy ending.
        I think having her resurrected should be just as painful, or even more as having her die.
        She may then go on to lead or be a part of the necris herself, that once again attacks the ronin.

But if she does join the ronin again, she should be mentally unstable, implying something went wrong with the necrification progress. Like she has a Jekyll and Hyde thing, and it's a lot of work just to try and keep her sane/in her Jester state of mind.
        At any moment she can become "possessed" and just flip out and become psycotic, or a religious fanatic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	edit-uber-laugh.gif
Views:	1
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	335529

Just really trying to emphasize a grimdark, no happy ending type spin.
        -That may make reaper even more ****** at Malcom.
        Last edited by CognizanCe1; 03-29-2015, 01:13 PM.
        3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
          Still that's more effort than Epic will be putting into the story. They made it clear during one of their streams that story isn't a priority to them, and they're focusing on gameplay.
          And I guess that's the way it should be.
          Chances are these little fanfics are no where near Epic's radar, and are just as cheesey/corny/repulsive/laughable to them as they are to you.
          So there's really no threat of these making it into the next UT.
          Anything related to story in these forums are just fanboy indulges.
          Let us dream.
          I'm honestly kind of confused since your view of the low priority for Epic and the happiness of this theoretical ending seems to be identical to mine. Whether you didn't read my whole post or some part of it put you off, I'm not trying to keep anyone from dreaming, just putting in my two cents on a topic that interests me.

I kinda hope Xan is the "hero" of this UT. Such a tragic character, he deserves to be champ again lol

Comment

Thats why in the final Deathmatch match before the Tournament Final her Necris takes over and she loses herself. Reaper, Jester, Xan, (Your character) and maybe one more fight in a Free For All to determine who fights Malcolm. Literally everyone in that match would want revenge on Malcolm.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Dungas View Post
              I'm honestly kind of confused since your view of the low priority for Epic and the happiness of this theoretical ending seems to be identical to mine. Whether you didn't read my whole post or some part of it put you off, I'm not trying to keep anyone from dreaming, just putting in my two cents on a topic that interests me.

I kinda hope Xan is the "hero" of this UT. Such a tragic character, he deserves to be champ again lol
              You're right, I didn't read your entire post.
              Apologies.
              But if modding the ladder or SP is possible, expect a lot of cheesey b movie soap operas in space type "I think it's obvious that's the creator's favorite character" mary sue type stuff.
              "Unreal and the restless" or something like that.
              3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Just stumbled upon this. "Drifters" from EVE:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixed View Post
                  Just stumbled upon this. "Drifters" from EVE:
                  This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                  I actually prefer these guys visually over the current Necris concepts, but the reality is that this kind of borgified, very clinical and antiseptic sort of look is really not what the Necris should be conveying in my eyes.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

And then comes a post which makes you lose all sympathy for Sir_Brizz again. Just don't smack talk about UT3, dude!
                    Who cares if there is no official tournament winner and who it would be from older UTs? The most popular protagonists must get their comeback of course.
                    And I posted the Tekken video link as example to show exactly how you can have char celebration and backdrop story without any story, cutscenes or campaign, simply by some short idle menu clips.
                    I like UT3 but there is nothing that really excuses the storyline in UT3 or the way they butchered the Necris. Xan can come back, of course, but he was not the "hero" of UT. Who cares? Who cares.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                      I like UT3 but there is nothing that really excuses the storyline in UT3 or the way they butchered the Necris. Xan can come back, of course, but he was not the "hero" of UT. Who cares? Who cares.
                      Everybody is entitled to his own taste, so it's understandable that you disliked the story and the necris design of course, but they didn't "butcher" them. They gave them a admittedly a bit too excessive but very unique and stylish tech-deco gear imo. That might be in conflict with your perception of what Necris should be like, of course. Every innovation is a risk. Clearly UT3's super high poly artwork was a few steps too much for most oldschool UT fans. But there are a lot of modern gamers who liked them and their vehicles are a great unique gameplay innovation. There's a lot about UT3's Necris which must be kept, but do you hear me say it's the over-detailled tech-gear? No, I just want to keep the advanced gameplay elements and a certain consistency, a hint that they belong together like as I said i.e. vampiry ornament seams.

I only said Xan was my hero of UT99, but he was pretty much also the most popular char for the majority, I bet. Would be awesome if there was such an opening trailer in tekken-style to introduce and celebrate every char;
                      with Xan, Malcolm and Reaper as protagonists in biggest rivalry, each representative of one UT generation, short impression on all the other factions (like the new Necris) and finally the mysterious special guest: Necris-Jester!

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

And now i have whole page of super long posts to answer to. Dammit ^^
                        Unofficial Enforcer Model
                        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

UT '99/UC2/UT2k Necris are rich people who wanted to be immortal, UT3 Necris are part of a religious offshoot faction, and UT4 Necris are the rank-and-file "product" that Phayder Corp. originally designed to be sold to militaries and stuff. There, they're all recognized as being Necris but are different "subraces," if you will. Everyone's happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycemonde View Post
                            UT '99/UC2/UT2k Necris are rich people who wanted to be immortal, UT3 Necris are part of a religious offshoot faction, and UT4 Necris are the rank-and-file "product" that Phayder Corp. originally designed to be sold to militaries and stuff. There, they're all recognized as being Necris but are different "subraces," if you will. Everyone's happy!
                            The characterization you're giving to the UT99/2k4 Necris is not really consistent with their lore.

UT3 is better off forgotten entirely in official canon, even if it did have specific pieces of elements that were interesting, the whole thing is full of proverbial baggage that is not useful to generating an engaging lore going forward. UT3 was just objectively bad from a story perspective and the less that is said about it the better. And despite what some people say, it's much better not to draw these explicit connections officially and let people speculate about this kind of thing because in-universe mysteries, even ones that are arise from awful writing, at least provide a fertile ground for fan theories to emerge.

And, to me, the way you're referring to the UT4 Necris to me demonstrates a problem with the presentation. If Necris are in any way being identified as "products" or "subordinates" of a given institution or authority it undermines the interesting elements of their character.

Looking at it this way, we can go with characterization based on superficial elements or we can go with characterization based on actual characteristics:

Characterization based on Superficiality:

Race/Faction Description
                            Skaarj Reptilian biped organism
                            Necris Organism with nanomachines
                            Thundercrash Human military organization
                            Characterization based on Actual Characteristics:

Race/Faction Description
                            Skaarj Savage and cunning warlike alien race
                            Necris Deranged and fanatical counterculture opposing mainstream humanity
                            Thundercrash Decorated and cool-under-fire veterans of <X> War
                            To me one of these is an interesting way to approach the universe of Unreal, and the other is incredibly dry and doesn't lead us anywhere.
                            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

LOL That's just physical appearance and behavioral/social characteristics there. One needs both to describe and design a char in detail, Wail.
                              And you keep repeating that everything UT3 has to be rejected, the least peaceable option of all, without giving a single argument what should have been so unrecoverable bad about it.
                              Voted for unbadging

Comment

LOL That's just physical appearance and behavioral/social characteristics there. One needs both to describe and design a char in detail, Wail.
                                And you keep repeating that everything UT3 has to be rejected, the least peaceable option of all, without giving a single argument what should have been so unrecoverable bad about it.
                                Voted for unbadging
                                Theo, if you don't understand the point that I am making it's better that you refrain from posting at all. I don't know whether it's just a language barrier issue or something else, but when you post things that are off-topic, as you have for the last several pages, or are essentially straw men of what other people have said, it does not contribute positively to the discussion. If you need further clarification you can always ask someone to elaborate on their points. However this is not a storyline discussion thread, so if you want to go argue the literary merits of FLaGs go start up another thread and I'll be happy to talk about the difference between UT3 and stories that are actually good.

The point I was making above is about understanding the visual impact of the design of the Necris and tying that back to the conceptual core of the Necris. The more we broaden the scope for what is encompassed by the idea of 'Necris' the less possible it is to characterize them in a meaningful way. What the Necris designs are communicating right now through their visuals is militarism and a sort of hive-like order mentality, but that isn't consistent with the Necris historically and doesn't offer any interesting contrast with any other existing factions (most of which are already military outfits of some kind). Sure, we can say these Necris might represent a different subfaction, but the more contradictory ideas we try to throw under the umbrella the more incoherent the entire idea becomes, which degrades its value in creating an interesting setting or telling a good story.

Comment

Working...
                                X