Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you can start elaborating why my posts here about future Necris designs are in any way offtopic and you're so hung up on the FLaG acronym or the conflicting war story nobody wants to bring back.

I only posted my wish for the slightest implementation of consistency from UT3 Necris (just seam ornaments!), the preservation of my favorite UT3 chars (Reaper, Jester, Othello), some char and all UT generations celebrating tournament clips (à la Tekken) and the advanced Necris gameplay-affecting assets like their vehicles from UT3. I'm offering ideas and compromises trying to fit all fan bases instead of demanding as only option a complete denial of an official UT release with all its achievements. That's why I'm unsure if you're the right judge for my constructiveness.

P.S.:
    At least in one point, we seem to agree: that the actual zombie-punk-army concept is not the ideal Necris concept. I would like something like Gooba's future vampires, you would probably want something totally Black Legion Assassins HD remake like. I'm sure there's something in between or totally different that could please us both.
    Last edited by TheoRiginal; 04-01-2015, 09:23 PM.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Intrinsically, carrying forward elements of the UT3 Necris simply breaks consistency with a consistency that somehow managed to survive through UT all the way to UC2. I'm not really sure what was lost in translation in UT3, the only thing I can blame it on is the perceived value of Gears of War bulk which really did the characters no favors. UT3 Necris are completely one dimensional and are a classic case of one of these things is not like the other. Why did or do they need to change?

I'm actually more okay with the presentation for UT4 so far than I am with UT3 because I think it is at least coherent with previous representations of the characters. I think there is room for people who have undergone the Necris process as well as the Phayder super soldiers that were present in previous games. It makes a whole heck of a lot more sense than the cybernetic angle with bulky fatso armor and changing everything that was ever consistent about their design.

Also I hated the Necris vehicles so I am biased against them.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Hi,

and by the way, wth it's wrong with this necris, ?

want anyone say, she's **** ?
        This Female fit's exactly to the Officially, why discussed you are about the necris,
        if we have the really well nice one, where it is also believable ?

holy.. it is not nice enough, it is not candy enough or do you need more fad on her ?

****, they are undeath and have no fashion , the necris be build up by an f*beep* Factory with nanotechnology !
        they are solders , nothing more ..

*nice gamegreetings*
        and best regards
        Blacky

Comment

Yes Blacky, good modelling but as a design, that looks pretty crappy to me. Punk is a no-go, cyborg-top with kargo pants is the next no-go, total lack of elegance and subversion is the ultimate no-go and it's really looking like a more militarized, unpolished "drifters" design.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
            Yes Blacky, good modelling but as a design, that looks pretty crappy to me. Punk is a no-go, cyborg-top with kargo pants is the next no-go, total lack of elegance and subversion is the ultimate no-go and it's really looking like a more militarized, unpolished "drifters" design.
            I think your view of what a good design is is just completely skewed compared to most of the rest of the people here. This character right here looks a whole lot more convincing than any of the necris in UT3, the only wrong I can agree with are the pants, I'd prefer to see something more in line with the torso, but this goes for the male one as well.

You should also tone down the arrogance in your posts a bit, not sure if intentional so just saying... The guy that made the model worked his *** off while receiving feedback from the community, I find it strange that you weren't there to give any feedback then if you are so critical of the necris design, and instead completely insult it here.

Here's the thread for the record: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Necris-sculpt
            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Since apaprently the majority here are UT players that didn't move on, you're probably right. You are an exception here if you asked for anything which isn't industrial, un-futuristic & military design.
              But how is it arrogant if I dislike the design? I explicitly mentioned "good modelling" to give the creator the credits he deserves, but I never lie just to please somebody. I've given my arguments why it doesn't satisfy me at all. If the creator of it was insulted, I'd be very much surprised, but he could tell me and I would explain my (personal & subjective) opinion to him and that he mustn't take different tastes as insults to his ambitious working.

Since it's in line with Perna's punk-zombie-soldier concept which I dislike, I have nothing to post in his thread. Others may like it and should be able to get it for their char customisations, why should I criticize it? I only feel the need to expresss my concerns with a design if it's supposed to be the stock design. Only then, it will affect me definitely.
              Last edited by TheoRiginal; 04-06-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I think the necris concepts look pretty cool, I just don't like nanoblack. Necris, imo, should all have some sort of death blow scar on their model. They did all supposedly die. Think it would make sense if they had a giant scar or something to show how it happened.

Comment

I liked the nanoblack better in UC2 I guess with the bits of red on it. Kept the models from being black and white (i.e. invisible).
                  HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                  BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

To me it stretches credibility to posit we have nanotechnology that can resurrect the dead, but to give them any of the unique identifying characteristics we associate with Necris (whether psychological or visual). To me this is a big glaring problem that really has never been addressed. When you pull back the curtain to reveal the explanation to a mystery, that explanation has to make sense or the reveal is pointless. Nanoblack, as an 'explanation' offers us nothing and, at least to me is contradictory with the general behavior we'd expect from having effective nanotechnology.

Why would someone whose entire body could be reshaped at a microscopic level have obvious shunts and wires coming out of their body (clear vulnerable spots)? Why would they want to retain a distinctive visual appearance that helps others identify their otherwise invisible capabilities? The explanations Chris has offered sound neat as in, "Oh yeah, stealth mode, cool!" but fall flat when you actually think about them because they are reasoning backwards from the premise that these guys have these features and then trying to explain why these features exist, rather than thinking about how we can expect this technology to actually behave* and extrapolating from that.

* And again, this is probably just my level of overthinking but I don't feel like hand-wavey explanations of, "It's unpredictable and unreliable..." are responses that satisfy the legitimate questions posed here. Just strains credibility on too many levels to think that we can create technology to raise the dead, but we can't control it well enough to make the people that use it look cosmetically normal.
                    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Because it looks badass. Ultimately the story, to me at least, isn't super important. I guess the battle scar idea was more intended to give a subtle way to enhance their back story and give an interesting way differentiate between the characters (In a similar way to what Perna intended to use the nanoblack face paint for).

I mean the only way to resolve the problems you are bringing up is to say that they look the way they do intentionally. They keep their scars because they are intimidating. Their eyes glow white because it's supposed to be spooky as ****. Doesn't really need to make sense if you look at it that way.

Comment

UT99 Necris were badass. The UT4 concepts are not Necris. They are a Zorg-Borg-Punk-Zombie-Frankenstein-Military mashup, which as a design can look cool, but it has nothing to do with the Necris.

It's the same as if you take an apple and you try to sell it as a banana by using the argument "it's a good fruit". An apple being good does not make it a banana, because they are completely different fruits. Same happens with the "UT4 necris". The design can look more or less cool, depending on who you ask. But they are not Necris.

If you compare the UT99 Necris with this concepts, you will see that they have absolutely nothing in common. 0.00%. Different armor, different eyes... Not even the skin color, not even a single hair.
                        They lack every physical characteristic from the Necris, and they have plenty of physical characteristics which are not from the Necris. Therefore, they are not Necris.
                        Last edited by hi-ban; 04-03-2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                          I think the necris concepts look pretty cool, I just don't like nanoblack. Necris, imo, should all have some sort of death blow scar on their model. They did all supposedly die. Think it would make sense if they had a giant scar or something to show how it happened.
                          That'd be a pretty kickass way to show the coveted individuality on this particular type of Necris, actually. Maybe there could be a "bodygroup" dedicated to embellished scars, like they're showing off just how much damage they were able to recover from when they came back to life. Sort of like scarification but not entirely intentional.

Personally, I'm just not sure why punk has to be a no-go. I can understand the way the Necris are dressed and I can understand their current lack of personal flair, but punk hairstyles are always in fashion, and you can't really get much more personal than crazy 'dos.
                          Last edited by Jaycemonde; 04-03-2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycemonde View Post
                            Personally, I'm just not sure why punk has to be a no-go. I can understand the way the Necris are dressed and I can understand their current lack of personal flair, but punk hairstyles are always in fashion, and you can't really get much more personal than crazy 'dos.
                            There are already punks in the UT universe: The Hellions http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Hell...er_biographies

Comment

I know who the Hellions are. Their version of punk isn't the only type of punk there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                                Why would someone whose entire body could be reshaped at a microscopic level have obvious shunts and wires coming out of their body (clear vulnerable spots)?
                                I just wanted to make it clear that I think this looks dumb too. Not really necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X