Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that more time has passed, I thing I can further express what's been bugging me about the new necris concept art, and the UT3 necris.

Click image for larger version

Name:	necris borg 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	339509
    These guys look too serious, and that they don't care about their appearance.
    They look like their appearance is either the direct result of the necrification and that's it.

Name:	necris borg 02.jpg
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	339508
    These guys look like their appearance is either the direct result of the necrification and ceremonial decoration.

That' it.
    The fact it seems they have no personality is what makes them look so borg like.

I haven't played UT 4 in a bit, but I think these skins are a step in the right direction:

Name:	necris appearance.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	339510
    ^^After the necrification process, these guys still have their own sense of "fashion" and said "I just wanna look cool".
    As Fartuess emphasized, their own INDIVIDUALITY.
    I think the crow-esque hot topic face paint is juvenile, and just as cheesey as the super serious borg look, but in the opposite direction.
    -But I REALLY think it fits the younger looking necris on the left, who thinks he's some hot shot badass, only to get whooped by more experienced combatants.
    And that crow style face paint will appeal to some players, but ALL necris should NOT follow that same style.
    I think there SHOULD be some face paint that's ceremonial (the large I really like the large white skull against the black head and jaw), and facial features that's strictly a result of the necrification, but they should not all look like that.

Name:	necris ceremonial faces.png
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	339511

EDIT:
    You know what, I'd like to do some necris face paint variations.
    Can someone supply me/PM me a bust template mesh with the appropriate maps or something?
    I know I can just do some drawings, but I'd rather present them as variations on the head used in game.
    Last edited by CognizanCe1; 08-20-2015, 01:22 PM.
    3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
      Just wanted to say that...

The new Black Legion - Pagan character look freaking amazing !!!

THX Epic for this awesome new character
      With the last update, the Black Legion - Pagan character I was playing with since it release isn't there anymore ??? How come ???
      Stevie's corner
      Maps at my blog : DM-Cruel, DM-Qu0 B2
      Maps on Epic : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
      Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

With the last update, the Black Legion - Pagan character I was playing with since it release isn't there anymore ??? How come ???
        Yeah, I was playing with that character too.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

the all white skin really did not work on a map like Outpost.

Comment

Originally posted by Quotidian View Post
            the all white skin really did not work on a map like Outpost.
            Yeah lol, and on other darker maps it just made you extra visible compared to others.
            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

All maps will have a different lighting, color scheme, styling and so on. There won't be a unique skin color for ALL maps so the fact that one color skin is remove just because it can be an advantage/disadvantage in 1 or few maps is completely ridiculous. UT always have various characters (style, color, size, etc) and this MUST continue or it's not UT.
              Stevie's corner
              Maps at my blog : DM-Cruel, DM-Qu0 B2
              Maps on Epic : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
              Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

The new design is top notch work by the designer and the 3D creator but unfortunately is not as good as the old one concept wise. Since UT3 I see a curve to necris' design to be cyborg looking and I do not find it attractive or good. Instead of having so many robo-parts, make 2 implants in the back and some exoskeleton instead of skeleton spine on them and leave them be pale and skin-showing. The best necris design in my honest opinion were those of Kragoth and Thannis in UT 2k4. Simply awesome. If you want more black parts you can do black veins on hands. Human looking but pale as milk concept was amazing. Now they look too much robo-characters and I honestly don't want my favourite characters ruined. It was sad enough to see them in the state they were in UT3. Leather coats or vests, black markings, veins etc is awesome for Necris. Big boots are also great. Please give us this concept option on some characters. The newly featured necris, Samael, is indeed intimidating, but looks too much like a mutant or robosoldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Scxmdrxg View Post
                  Kragoth and Thannis in UT 2k4.
                  They both - two masterpieces.

Comment

The top half of the necris guy looks cool, but I can't bear to look at the bottom half. I just can't take urban camo pants seriously on them. I guess cargo pants can be a little alternative, but each human soldier will basically have those in varying colors. There is a huge visual break between the belt, stylistically and visually. Its almost like Kragoth got up one morning and decided to become a tryhard at pants.
                    Last edited by HitscanGaem; 09-28-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HitscanGaem View Post
                      The top half of the necris guy looks cool, but I can't bear to look at the bottom half. I just can't take urban camo pants seriously on them. I guess cargo pants can be a little alternative, but each human soldier will basically have those in varying colors. There is a huge visual break between the belt, stylistically and visually. Its almost like Kragoth got up one morning and decided to become a tryhard at pants.
                      I think the base model is more of a necris mercenary rather than a famous figure like Thannis or Malakai or Kragoth. I don't really like it either. There are some concepts of the female necris wearing a hood and long clothing. I hope males go towards this concept too. Currently the base model has no personality and looks nothing like a necris.

Comment

Originally posted by Scxmdrxg View Post
                        I think the base model is more of a necris mercenary rather than a famous figure like Thannis or Malakai or Kragoth. I don't really like it either. There are some concepts of the female necris wearing a hood and long clothing. I hope males go towards this concept too. Currently the base model has no personality and looks nothing like a necris.
                        The Necris have been reinvented and this is the new direction they are going with the faction. Honestly I'd rather see the cybernetic paramilitary soldier aspect played up rather than introduce dissonance in what these guys conceptually represent. What we knew as Necris can be represented by something else.
                        Last edited by Wail; 09-29-2015, 12:43 PM.
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                          The Necris have been reinvented and this is the new direction they are going with the faction. Honestly I'd rather see the cybernetic paramilitary soldier aspect played up rather than introduce dissonance in what these guys conceptually represent. What we knew as Necris can be represented by something else.
                          Then it is the worst idea ever. That's seriously ugly. One time a girl in my circle of friends went with that hairstyle. Believe me she is beatiful like an angel, but even her boyfriend supported our idea to make her wear a woolen hat (only one covering enough we had in close vicinity), and let me tell you it was summer, temperature was 38 celsius. Yes, it was that hard of an eyesore. I never understood what some people see in that look. Not to mention that terrible face paint design with lower jaw painted black. It makes it look three times more disgusting. It looks like rotting corpse with no soul inside it. Male is giving off an aura of mindless brute. I prefered the ones in UT'99, as they were more "alive", radiating with finesse. Skin tone is blue-tinted, it should be rather coming to pale bone. The way cybernetics are handled is also not done well. Cyber should be an accent, not a base ex.: Limbs not torso. All of this together makes them look like cyberzombies. What I want is to necris be inhuman, but also serene, aestethically pleasing and foremost more interestingly dressed. Dear god, good references lie all over internet:

the ideas for potential armor:

And what is the desired effect (except more bone colored skin)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bubbaxm2; 09-29-2015, 11:53 PM. Reason: removed offensive comment
                          "Is there any game where I can find an atmosphere as rich and involving as Unreal, or around that level?"
                          Post that renewed my faith in humanity.

Comment

Necris should go then more cybernetic paramilitary if that is the case. Cult/Goth fanatics and corporate soldiers both exist in cyberpunk dystopia, but they also hate each other. Cultists don't hang out as a megacorporate executive's bodyguard. Samael would be the guy assassinating an executive, not guarding him. Plus, we got plenty of guard-merc types in the UT world. Corrupt guard Xan, Iron Guard, well. guard. Metal Guard guard Xan but with nicer clothing. Multiple mercenary/ex soldier factions. Do we really need another tactical guard group? I guess we can if these are going to be all about nanomachines and such. But I don't see where the urban digital camopants fits into any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by HitscanGaem View Post
                              Necris should go then more cybernetic paramilitary if that is the case. Cult/Goth fanatics and corporate soldiers both exist in cyberpunk dystopia, but they also hate each other. Cultists don't hang out as a megacorporate executive's bodyguard. Samael would be the guy assassinating an executive, not guarding him. Plus, we got plenty of guard-merc types in the UT world. Corrupt guard Xan, Iron Guard, well. guard. Metal Guard guard Xan but with nicer clothing. Multiple mercenary/ex soldier factions. Do we really need another tactical guard group? I guess we can if these are going to be all about nanomachines and such. But I don't see where the urban digital camopants fits into any of that.
                              Trust me, these are the exact same arguments that I've made tons of times. Sadly, this kind of stuff falls on deaf ears even though it is obvious with even the most basic understanding of the world and how the character factions/archetypes relate to and complement each other.

Presumably we're stuck with it since UC2 & UT3 went with this idea, even though it was awful and cheesy in both. I've even floated the idea that we can just call characters different names, you know, the massive undertaking of changing text strings to avoid presenting characters in contradictory ways. That idea was summarily shot down. It boggles my mind since this is basically taking the path of most resistance, but that's exactly what we saw with UT3 so it isn't a surprise to see the same thing playing out once again here.
                              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Necris should not be cyber-soldiers. They should be these slim, scary looking, mystic, black-clothed persons. Their personalities should scream 'death' when you face them. I dont like them being bulky cyber-augmented soldiers. UT2k4 concept visually was the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X