This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, but there is only stated
    For example, the nanoblack has unpredictable effects on the person's mental state.
    And that does not mean either sociopathic sadists or traits of Byronic Hero. You can go for whatever. UT'99 did not explain much stuff, many people did not read descriptions. I think if players were looking for more depth in Necris than just sociopathic sadists, then it would involve some elements of byronic hero - they kinda looks like vampires, vampires are byronic, so Necris might be read as byronic by proxy. Well at least thats the direction i would took to make Necris more multidimensional.

However this
    Very few people or companies can afford the extreme cost of turning someone into a Necris
    busts current Necris concepts, where they are members of some kind of undead army. Just like it probably busts some parts of UT3 Necris concepts.
    Last edited by Fartuess; 03-04-2016, 12:25 PM.
    Unofficial Enforcer Model
    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

They might look like vampires, but they aren't... nor they are undead !
      It is even stated that the process does not necessarly turn a living being into an undead one, it just gives extremely powerfull regeneration capabilities (inter alia) almost to the point of being immortal. The process is so efficient that it can "revive" a dead person. It can eventually give them some aditional powers (sometimes blood sucking) but we've only saw that one time, in UC2. They're not specifically undead, they don't necessarly suck up blood, nor they show any other traits similar to a vampire (aside MAYBE clothing/skins). They're just... Necris...

The quote about the effects on the mental state doesn't picture them necessarly as sociopathic sadists, but in the whole serie we never saw a Necris showing some kind of regret, compassion, or any emotions that could place them as "byronic" characters. They were even showed as assassins and killers (wether they were cold blooded or relished in it), and when they were affected in their sanity, it just accentuated their murdering side or made them dilusional (Akasha).

About the companies quote, it only applies to all the corporations that don't have access to the Necrification process (pretty much everybody), The Liandri being the only one able to pay to resurrect three persons (Lauren, Brock and Selkhet in UC2). However the Phayders are the creator of this process and so have full access to it, so it isn't impossible that they created an army composed entirely of Necris warriors. In fact, in UT3, Akasha showed that a full Necris invasion was possible, and it was only a part of them (only her cult was present).
      And again they aren't undead.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
        They might look like vampires, but they aren't... nor they are undead !
        It is even stated that the process does not necessarly turn a living being into an undead one, it just gives extremely powerfull regeneration capabilities (inter alia) almost to the point of being immortal. The process is so efficient that it can "revive" a dead person. It can eventually give them some aditional powers (sometimes blood sucking) but we've only saw that one time, in UC2. They're not specifically undead, they don't necessarly suck up blood, nor they show any other traits similar to a vampire (aside MAYBE clothing/skins). They're just... Necris...
        I know they are not vampires. But if they look like it is very likely that people will project vampire personality traits on them. Same thing with zombie-like current concepts. They are not undead, but people might project some traits on them. Maybe even without realizing it. As a designer you have to be aware of that and adjust.

The quote about the effects on the mental state doesn't picture them necessarly as sociopathic sadists, but in the whole serie we never saw a Necris showing some kind of regret, compassion, or any emotions that could place them as "byronic" characters. They were even showed as assassins and killers (wether they were cold blooded or relished in it), and when they were affected in their sanity, it just accentuated their murdering side or made them dilusional (Akasha).
        Well... to be honest UT'99 and UT2k4 were games where there were no signs of any emotions. Only taunts. You can't say much from that. For UT3 - that game was story/art designwise pure BS which also was writing aganist preestablishd lore so i don't even bother about it. I haven't played UC2 so i can be missing something, but i assume that nowhere there was said that change on mental state can't tak various forms.

About the companies quote, it only applies to all the corporations that don't have access to the Necrification process (pretty much everybody), The Liandri being the only one able to pay to resurrect three persons (Lauren, Brock and Selkhet in UC2). However the Phayders are the creator of this process and so have full access to it, so it isn't impossible that they created an army composed entirely of Necris warriors. In fact, in UT3, Akasha showed that a full Necris invasion was possible, and it was only a part of them (only her cult was present).
        And again they aren't undead.
        Full access doesn't mean it's cheap to such extent you can make an army. Also economywise the balance point of price to maximize revenues would to put the price much much lower. Unless it's there to allow political pressure on other corporations.

Comment

Well, the info about the Necris are generally vague, and the rare things we got (beetwen the different games) were at best unrelated, at worst contradictory. Everyone possess it's own opinion about what the Necris "might" be. The only thing we can do is just design our own ideas and see if they please or not...
          But I actually have no skill in designing (I'm just an unworthy Unreal fan) so you'll probably do better in that regard.

Personally I try to avoid excluding any of the game (even if I clearly less appreciated some of them), and to find a common ground (which I'll probably never find ).

Honestly, even if the graphics in UT 99 were limited, the characters were rather expressive, contrary to UT 2k4 (were they all had the same "no fun allowed" face, apart from a few exceptions).

Honestly I think the Phayders don't have the same interest as the other companies. But we ignore what are their plans, so I can't say much about it, only speculate.

Comment

Honestly, even if the graphics in UT 99 were limited, the characters were rather expressive, contrary to UT 2k4 (were they all had the same "no fun allowed" face, apart from a few exceptions).

Insolent lie and distortion of facts.

Comment

Or... not ?

Or in this case, all opinions are lies and distortion of facts ?

Comment

Why bald and short haired female modelz? And yea they look like robots. Please bring back the original modelz from 99 if it possible!

Males seems OK to me btw!
                Keep it up!!
                Image removed by admin, over allowed size

Comment

Originally posted by FainterCargo148 View Post

Why bald and short haired female modelz? And yea they look like robots. Please bring back the original modelz from 99 if it possible!

Males seems OK to me btw!
                  Keep it up!!
                  I agree. Where a normal female hair? They look like an egg or goth/emo!

Comment

Well, long hair is every time associated to female characters, and I think we should break this sort of 'cliché'. I'd like to see more liberty to character design, about those terms.

Anyway, there isn't any character with hair (excluding the Skaarj) at the moment. I really hope they'll be implemented in some time xD

About Visse, I actually adore her with short/bald hair: she looks stronger and meaner. The concepts below are PERFECT, for my point of view!

Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
                    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

[MENTION=281528]FainterCargo148[/MENTION]
                      You might be interested in this thread then: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...18910-Freylise

Comment

Capes! Uncompressed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Nice.........

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

My new desktop background!! Awesome work

Comment

Doing some exploration

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by warroht View Post
                                Doing some exploration

I LOVE IT!

Really nice job about the facial expression!

-Luigi Rapetta
                                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                                Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Working...
                                X