X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    They might look like vampires, but they aren't... nor they are undead !
    It is even stated that the process does not necessarly turn a living being into an undead one, it just gives extremely powerfull regeneration capabilities (inter alia) almost to the point of being immortal. The process is so efficient that it can "revive" a dead person. It can eventually give them some aditional powers (sometimes blood sucking) but we've only saw that one time, in UC2. They're not specifically undead, they don't necessarly suck up blood, nor they show any other traits similar to a vampire (aside MAYBE clothing/skins). They're just... Necris...
    I know they are not vampires. But if they look like it is very likely that people will project vampire personality traits on them. Same thing with zombie-like current concepts. They are not undead, but people might project some traits on them. Maybe even without realizing it. As a designer you have to be aware of that and adjust.

The quote about the effects on the mental state doesn't picture them necessarly as sociopathic sadists, but in the whole serie we never saw a Necris showing some kind of regret, compassion, or any emotions that could place them as "byronic" characters. They were even showed as assassins and killers (wether they were cold blooded or relished in it), and when they were affected in their sanity, it just accentuated their murdering side or made them dilusional (Akasha).
    Well... to be honest UT'99 and UT2k4 were games where there were no signs of any emotions. Only taunts. You can't say much from that. For UT3 - that game was story/art designwise pure BS which also was writing aganist preestablishd lore so i don't even bother about it. I haven't played UC2 so i can be missing something, but i assume that nowhere there was said that change on mental state can't tak various forms.

About the companies quote, it only applies to all the corporations that don't have access to the Necrification process (pretty much everybody), The Liandri being the only one able to pay to resurrect three persons (Lauren, Brock and Selkhet in UC2). However the Phayders are the creator of this process and so have full access to it, so it isn't impossible that they created an army composed entirely of Necris warriors. In fact, in UT3, Akasha showed that a full Necris invasion was possible, and it was only a part of them (only her cult was present).
    And again they aren't undead.
    Full access doesn't mean it's cheap to such extent you can make an army. Also economywise the balance point of price to maximize revenues would to put the price much much lower. Unless it's there to allow political pressure on other corporations.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They might look like vampires, but they aren't... nor they are undead !
    It is even stated that the process does not necessarly turn a living being into an undead one, it just gives extremely powerfull regeneration capabilities (inter alia) almost to the point of being immortal. The process is so efficient that it can "revive" a dead person. It can eventually give them some aditional powers (sometimes blood sucking) but we've only saw that one time, in UC2. They're not specifically undead, they don't necessarly suck up blood, nor they show any other traits similar to a vampire (aside MAYBE clothing/skins). They're just... Necris...

The quote about the effects on the mental state doesn't picture them necessarly as sociopathic sadists, but in the whole serie we never saw a Necris showing some kind of regret, compassion, or any emotions that could place them as "byronic" characters. They were even showed as assassins and killers (wether they were cold blooded or relished in it), and when they were affected in their sanity, it just accentuated their murdering side or made them dilusional (Akasha).

About the companies quote, it only applies to all the corporations that don't have access to the Necrification process (pretty much everybody), The Liandri being the only one able to pay to resurrect three persons (Lauren, Brock and Selkhet in UC2). However the Phayders are the creator of this process and so have full access to it, so it isn't impossible that they created an army composed entirely of Necris warriors. In fact, in UT3, Akasha showed that a full Necris invasion was possible, and it was only a part of them (only her cult was present).
    And again they aren't undead.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, but there is only stated
    For example, the nanoblack has unpredictable effects on the person's mental state.
    And that does not mean either sociopathic sadists or traits of Byronic Hero. You can go for whatever. UT'99 did not explain much stuff, many people did not read descriptions. I think if players were looking for more depth in Necris than just sociopathic sadists, then it would involve some elements of byronic hero - they kinda looks like vampires, vampires are byronic, so Necris might be read as byronic by proxy. Well at least thats the direction i would took to make Necris more multidimensional.

However this
    Very few people or companies can afford the extreme cost of turning someone into a Necris
    busts current Necris concepts, where they are members of some kind of undead army. Just like it probably busts some parts of UT3 Necris concepts.
    Last edited by Fartuess; 03-04-2016, 12:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've never considered the Necris like vampires (even if some of their abilties in UC2 were kind of similar) or byronic heroes.

They're not known for their sense of morality actually... rather the lack of it. They aren't some kind of mindless zombies, in fact they are quite intelligent (at least as much as they were during their life), but they're lacking emotions like compassion or empathy. They even relish in pain and suffering.

Maybe using the Liandri archives can help you have a better idea for what the Necris (supposedly) are ?
    https://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Necris

I think Liandri archives is the most objective and accurate source of informations we can find about the Unreal Universe. For now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think i just grasped better what i (and i suppose some other people too) understand by Necris being Vampires. Necris are supposed to be Byronic Characters. Thats what they have in common with Vampires. Thats why UT'99, UT2k4(some bonus pack?) and UC2 Necris worked and thats what UT3 and current UT4 concept does not catch.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ByronicHero

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There was concept of Warmachine robot with skull inside simmiliar helmet. Maybe this concept could be used to extend that idea?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I won't even use it for the nightmare, it's too... serious. It really lack that psychopath feeling, as well as the sarcastic temperament.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    While it is in line with official concept... it goes further into the route i wish it wouldn't go. At this point they won't have anything in common with Necris concept established in previous games.

I guess you could use this concept for Nightmare team maybe?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice inspiration for necris from Darek Zabrocki:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Necro mungers from ridick chronicles would be cool

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Personally I'd like to see a necris character with some more hair..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
    The worst beauty salon in the universe i might add
    True So they have to be removed or replaced by real claw-like hands. IMHO

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The worst beauty salon in the universe i might add

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Master JMK View Post
    I think they're trying to make them look like claws or something as a nod to some depictions of vampires and other undead mythological creatures. Samael has them too.
    I've just noticed that the male character has them too. I'm not with this idea... It looks amberassing... Claws would be ok but not this... Don't get me wrong but... This looks like they've just left a beaytu salon...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Irene View Post
    I don't like the long nales it looks like she's a model not a fighter(
    I think they're trying to make them look like claws or something as a nod to some depictions of vampires and other undead mythological creatures. Samael has them too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X