Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the default Necris should look like normal humans that happen to have pale skin, gaping wounds and scars, and maybe a few small implants or prosthetic limbs. They should look like the other fighters in the tournament (including armor), just a bit more dead. No reason to over-complicate the design with special suits, tubes and tons of implants, or cover them with black goo. The oil-slick Borg look just doesn't fit as well in my opinion, but if cybernetic implants are optional add-ons (like UT3's armor) they would make good additions for customization.
    My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

These ideas are nice but the still lack any real personality.
      I feel like cybernetics are just something you have attached without much choice.

I'd much rather see accessories that have been personally picked out.
      Tattoos, haircuts, pirecings, body mods, sunglasses, etc..
      These are the kind of things where the character is expressing themselves through thier external appearence.
      And it makes them feel alot more like fully rounded people instead of just npc's.

Comment

Originally posted by Chong View Post
        I'd much rather see accessories that have been personally picked out.
        Tattoos, haircuts, pirecings, body mods, sunglasses, etc..
        These are the kind of things where the character is expressing themselves through thier external appearence.
        And it makes them feel alot more like fully rounded people instead of just npc's.
        Exactly this. Current designs make me wonder if those necris even have their own will or are part of collective mind. (Borg again)
        Last edited by Fartuess; 01-10-2015, 03:36 PM.
        Unofficial Enforcer Model
        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

In my opinion the Necris definitively need style and less syndicate like militarism!
          And although UT3s Necris had some style i found it was sorta unfinished and oversized.
          Just imagine a scenery like the old Doom or Doom64 with stylized skulls and xenofied technology.
          GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Originally posted by danpaz3d View Post
            Great Necris concept, and I don't see anything wrong with the nano-black idea. Only critique is.... less-mech, more-tech. I don't think mech parts will suit necris. Lots of cloth, wires, and subtle matte colored armor would work nicely.

I put together some more sketches, other variations for the fem face and possible applications of the nano-tech.
            Facial morphing and reconstruction is another possible idea, but that's a long shot.

look's great , but maybe .. i whant it not so names.. but maybe something like Spook-ears/fary-ears something..
            not human..want be maybe not bad.. other ears ..

best regards
            Blacky

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
              In my opinion the Necris definitively need style and less syndicate like militarism!
              And although UT3s Necris had some style i found it was sorta unfinished and oversized.
              Just imagine a scenery like the old Doom or Doom64 with stylized skulls and xenofied technology.
              P.S.: But their environments should be sorta different - like
              a normal SciFi scyscraper only with xeno interior and exterior.
              Xeno designs could be insect and spider like and pretty stylish.
              GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Whilst I'm fond of the UT99 character designs I think it's very clear that a straight re-creation of UT99 Necris wouldn't work visually. UT99 characters were designed around the limitations at the time, low poly count and low texture resolution. With higher fidelity you have to account for the density of details on a character.

I thought I'd mess around a little with hair for the male. These haircuts are more of a 'translation' of some of hair features of the UT99 Necris and trying to see how those could work with the current Necris concept.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
                  Whilst I'm fond of the UT99 character designs I think it's very clear that a straight re-creation of UT99 Necris wouldn't work visually. UT99 characters were designed around the limitations at the time, low poly count and low texture resolution. With higher fidelity you have to account for the density of details on a character.

I thought I'd mess around a little with hair for the male. These haircuts are more of a 'translation' of some of hair features of the UT99 Necris and trying to see how those could work with the current Necris concept.

These are pretty much exactly what I'd like to see. Shows just what a few small changes can do to really nail these guys.

Edit: Don't have time right now to try this out myself, but I'd really like to see some concepts that explore longer hair (e.g. UT2004 styles) and white hair as well. I doubt we want flowing hair but styles long enough to hang over the eyes seem apropos.
                  Last edited by Wail; 01-13-2015, 11:50 PM.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

@Mangley
                    That's definately step in the good direction . About need of higher density of details - lets not fall into the same trap UT3 did . Too much small details can result in noise - it just overwhelm the viewer, especially if details are hard to interprete.

Middle one in second row looks a bit like older Kragoth what makes me wonder how removing wrinkles would widen design space of faces.
                    Last edited by Fartuess; 01-14-2015, 01:13 AM.
                    Unofficial Enforcer Model
                    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Mangley View Post

Mangley,
                      What you've done is make them look like they're capable of making their own decisions.
                      You've reduced the holier than thou/I've seen the light look.

Two things I'd like to see from anyone willing to try:
                      1: Less conservative hairstyles.
                      This is one of the things should really help at a distance with identifying exactly that specific customized enemy.
                      Not just the faction the enemy character belongs to.
                      This was an issue for me with UT3, was that from mid range all characters were only slightly different from each other,
                      so you weren't sure if it was the noob you've been dominating the entire match and it's safe to approach,
                      or the guy on the server with a 2000:0.05 K/D ratio that inspires fear when he joins the server that you should avoid at all costs.

2: Younger Necris.
                      I think the UT99 necris looked more youthful than the ut3 and ut2004 versions.
                      Some of your variants look like old bikers.
                      Like Fartuess said though, 2nd row middle version is great,
                      and I like the guy to the left of him with the dark jaw.
                      Last edited by CognizanCe1; 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM.
                      3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Here's your less conservative hairstyles.

Comment

Originally posted by Chong View Post
                          Here's your less conservative hairstyles.
                          Far too tribal for my taste.
                          Looks like the opposite of modern, futuristic, or sci fi.
                          Reminds me of mad max characters for some reason.
                          3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Chris, can we get a couple of clean templates of the faces and bodies (just the basic line art) to make it easier to do our own mockups?
                            My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

Comment

Hmm, I hope there will be some younger Necris designs. Though Hi-ban's design gives it a younger touch.

Comment

Working...
                                X