Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Base Necris Designs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    @hi-ban
    At this point we met other issue. Your concepts are quite close to what i would expect regarding necris heads. However someone can complain that now they look too generic and ordinary. I think it will end up quite nicely if we set for each of them some personality and sell it through clothing and facial expressions, what is not visible on those concepts.
    Unofficial Enforcer Model
    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

    Comment


      #62
      My thoughts on all the chaos in this thread are that there is a wide range of designs that would work for Necris. It would make plenty of sense for there to be different "factions" of Necris that dress and act differently and I'd like that to be reflected in the game.

      Personally I like the nanoblack angle to the Necris just fine, I think they took it too far in UT3 where everything the Necris do revolves around nanoblack in some way. I also really liked the red accents on the Necris in UC2, I think that made a lot of sense and would like that to return.

      I don't care as much for the tribal look, personally. But again why not have different Necris factions?

      For the look, I really like the white pupils but if we consider this a "sequel" to existing games and that the Necris process has been gradually improved I think it makes sense for their eyes to looka bit more normal (adding a pupil seems like something they would actually try to do). I definitely prefer the look of these Necris to anything UT3 produced. Loque in UT3 was just bad. This is much more "Loque" to me.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
        @hi-ban
        At this point we met other issue. Your concepts are quite close to what i would expect regarding necris heads. However someone can complain that now they look too generic and ordinary. I think it will end up quite nicely if we set for each of them some personality and sell it through clothing and facial expressions, what is not visible on those concepts.
        yeah, well i'm using the same base head for all the different versions. but i assume that, when making individual characters, different face shapes will be used for every character. Here is an example of the same faces with different shapes:

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
          My thoughts on all the chaos in this thread are that there is a wide range of designs that would work for Necris. It would make plenty of sense for there to be different "factions" of Necris that dress and act differently and I'd like that to be reflected in the game.
          Personally it think more about small faction containing very different people with very different past and personality packed into one deadly team by Phayder. Rather than many factions which members look very simmiliar inside that faction. I like to think that Necris are not new race habitating many planets or huge army of supersoldiers, but just a couple dozen of people ressurected because of their exceptional skills now working for some corporation to repay for bringing them back to live.
          Unofficial Enforcer Model
          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
            Personally it think more about small faction containing very different people with very different past and personality packed into one deadly team by Phayder. Rather than many factions which members look very simmiliar inside that faction. I like to think that Necris are not new race habitating many planets or huge army of supersoldiers, but just a couple dozen of people ressurected because of their exceptional skills now working for some corporation to repay for bringing them back to live.
            I don't mean that. I mean that "Necris" can mean a lot of things and I imagine that there are groups of Necris that dress differently or act differently while all still being essentially the same. So two people on the same team could be completely different.

            Necris isn't really a race (Jim gave a better definition of it in the other thread https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post132291 there), it's a group of people associated with Phayder Corporation, some of which have undergone the Necris process.
            Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 01-16-2015, 04:51 PM.
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
              I have to say I feel like the completely white eyes just doesn't work. To me they just look too cartoony, or too much like a caricature of being 'undead' - something that maybe worked in the early UT games because of the cartoonish / simple art then, but they don't feel like they fit the direction that UT4 is taking.

              Whited out eyes also take away a lot of the expression from faces, they look a little bit mindless. They also look like they might be completely blind. To me the white iris on a black eye look that Chris Perna set out with seems like it hits the right medium between exagerrated white eyes and normal eyes.

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                I don't mean that. I mean that "Necris" can mean a lot of things and I imagine that there are groups of Necris that dress differently or act differently while all still being essentially the same. So two people on the same team could be completely different.
                Plausible, but if we're going to keep the number of characters down to a reasonable level, having too many Necris is going to cut in on the diversity.
                Edit: Nevermind, I take that back.

                Actually, I think the idea of each character representing a sub-faction of their own race would be much more interesting than the usual model recycling of previous games.
                Last edited by Dementiurge; 01-16-2015, 10:51 PM.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                  I don't mean that. I mean that "Necris" can mean a lot of things and I imagine that there are groups of Necris that dress differently or act differently while all still being essentially the same. So two people on the same team could be completely different.

                  Necris isn't really a race (Jim gave a better definition of it in the other thread https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post132291 there), it's a group of people associated with Phayder Corporation, some of which have undergone the Necris process.
                  Well that's how i understood it as well, but UT3 implied something else with necris having completely different tech and architectural style. It implied that necris exist for very long time and that there are at least millions of them.

                  Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                  Actually, I think the idea of each character representing a sub-faction of their own race would be much more interesting than the usual model recycling of previous games.
                  That's what i'm digging. With small difference that there are not that many necris and they look different because of their a bit wicked individuality rather than coming from different necris subfactions.

                  I hope i'm not trying too hard to sell my vision.
                  Unofficial Enforcer Model
                  Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                    Well that's how i understood it as well, but UT3 implied something else with necris having completely different tech and architectural style. It implied that necris exist for very long time and that there are at least millions of them.
                    No clue about the specifics of that, but in UT3 the "Necris" were a faction of the Necris called the "Cult of the Prophet" led by Akasha. It did heavily imply that they use nanoblack for everything which is not a concept I particularly care for.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                      Actually, I think the idea of each character representing a sub-faction of their own race would be much more interesting than the usual model recycling of previous games.
                      Are you talking about the necris team being composed of different representatives of each sub-faction?
                      I REALLY like that idea.
                      That way it shows the necris are all unified, but each group still has their own culture.

                      something like:
                      Iniate who's necrification hasn't fully manifested into physical changes:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	initiate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	334112

                      I've seen the light ceremonial participant:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Kragoth.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	334114

                      Over the top religious leader:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	UT3_Loque.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	334113

                      Necris soldier:


                      Assassin




                      Of course, I think the biggest problem now is there would be so many different voicepacks or lines of dialogue to express their background.

                      The initiate may sound the most "normal", and wouldn't be as poetic as the religious leader or ceremonial necris, or as cold blooded as the assassin.
                      3D Artist looking for work.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Pls no necris religion plz ;_;
                        Unofficial Enforcer Model
                        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                          Pls no necris religion plz ;_;
                          Agreed. Would rather stick with the assassin line

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
                            Are you talking about the necris team being composed of different representatives of each sub-faction?
                            I REALLY like that idea.
                            That way it shows the necris are all unified, but each group still has their own culture.

                            something like:
                            Exactly. Instead of just four or five different variations of the same 'assassin' style, each character should be radically different. What does a dark chaplain, look like? What does a blademaiden look like? What does a captured Phayder assassin look like? Each character should show a different side of Necris culture and different motivations for winning the tournament, and also have aspects that show how they differ as individuals.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                              Exactly. Instead of just four or five different variations of the same 'assassin' style, each character should be radically different. What does a dark chaplain, look like? What does a blademaiden look like? What does a captured Phayder assassin look like? Each character should show a different side of Necris culture and different motivations for winning the tournament, and also have aspects that show how they differ as individuals.
                              That's fantastic in my book.
                              That also means epic will have a lot more modeling and texturing.
                              The dark chaplain will need some variety in meshes and textures that the player can choose from,
                              The assassin will need some variety in meshes and textures that the player can choose from,
                              The blademaiden will need some variety in meshes and textures that the player can choose from,
                              etc. etc. etc.
                              And like I said, voice packs for each sub-category of necris.

                              To reiterate though, sounds like a GREAT idea to me.
                              They're united in being necris, yet different.
                              3D Artist looking for work.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                                Exactly. Instead of just four or five different variations of the same 'assassin' style, each character should be radically different. What does a dark chaplain, look like? What does a blademaiden look like? What does a captured Phayder assassin look like? Each character should show a different side of Necris culture and different motivations for winning the tournament, and also have aspects that show how they differ as individuals.
                                I like this idea as well, but I am doubtful we'll get a large variety of character models / options to choose from. I expect 1 male and 1 female model for a faction, out of Necris, Human, and maybe 1 Robot and 1 Skaarj. Then again, my initial estimate was 1 male and 1 female model period, so I have already been revising expectations up...
                                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

                                Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

                                Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X