This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think so - wheres the gothic aspect which
    makes them look perfect in ancient castles ect. btw.?
    GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

1,2, 3, 5, 6, ,7 ,8, cool !
      fits nanoblack good if you ask me

https://33.media.tumblr.com/800573cf...cuuo1_1280.jpg

Comment

@Kaal979
        Add some type of black cloak/coat, long hair and silver ocultic accessories. The direction of how ones personality changes differ from person to person and not always have to end in gothic themes. As a abse we took a commando-mercenary guy who went further this direction after being ressurected as this base is most neutral and will allow going in various directions including goth.
        Unofficial Enforcer Model
        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Interesting - in UT99 sortish of all characters
          fitted aswell in medival styled environments
          - maybe a sign of a certain quality?
          GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Excellent designs. I like the team colouring.

What I wish to see is that the colours are somehow part of the clothing design and not just a draw over. Although, I'd like to see the colours maybe being like actual paint sprayed over the combat armour. More natural looking and less shiny, while the colour being bright.

As for Mangley's design. Looks fantastic, but maybe a bit too "human" and the plain colouring looks also a bit too "human".

I took Mangley's design and morphed it over Chris' original concept from first post. So it's Mangley's direction beefed up with a more futuristic look and the colour is actual paint over the suit and armour.

Also I must say I kind of dig the hairless style, looks more cold, more dead.

Comment

Well, now that looks like a Quake 4 Strogg... I'm not sure if that direction would be correct for the Necris.
              Unreal Wiki - Collecting Unreal lore, one article at a time.
              "The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000. (Where good means 'helps advancing the art')" - Fast Eddie, TVTropes

Comment

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
                Hi guys, thanks everybody for the great feedback!

Also I did a quick recolor for the team colors:

Thanks again for all the useful feedback. Please feel free to edit, paint-over, apply botox and such as you please.
                I really appreciate the way you're continuing to push these concepts towards what we'll probably see in game. One thing I may try later on is giving the female models a bit more feminine hairstyles. If the male character wasn't right there serving as a contrast in sexual dimorphism, I would probably assume the characters on the right are boys or slender men.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Psychomorph View Post
                  Nice stuff! I do like the idea of having spray-painted armor, though I feel like it's maybe something more suited to teams like the Hellions. I figure that the way that team coloring aesthetics are dealt with will come down to what makes sense for each faction.

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                  I really appreciate the way you're continuing to push these concepts towards what we'll probably see in game. One thing I may try later on is giving the female models a bit more feminine hairstyles. If the male character wasn't right there serving as a contrast in sexual dimorphism, I would probably assume the characters on the right are boys or slender men.
                  Thank you . For me these represent more the Phayder Assassin / Mercenary types of Necris, more militaristic and disciplined with military-style haircuts and standard issue clothing and gear. I think there's definitely room for more feminine or sexual Necris, and I know a lot of people are wanting to see more ceremonial armor reminiscent of UT3. I think those things could find a place in the Blademaiden Necris. Though as to what those things should look like I'm really not sure...

Comment

@Mangley: They are absolutely great and clearly very gothic but still futuristic tournament gladiators!

Well, the team coloring isn't quite right yet imo: the very first black team with only red accents are not red enough for a red team and also pretty dark (maybe too invis) for non-team gametypes, the others on the other hand are too bright colored imo.
                    Also interesting the spray approach of Psychomorph, but it should follow the basic armor shapes some more imo. But the team coloring and such can be changed easily, all the important design attributess are already there imo!

The only thing missing for me is still the slight touch of the unique Necris styles from UT3 in form of some armor seam ornaments. It would give them the consistent evolution factor, make them even more gothic and not only sporty/guard-like that way.
                    It's okay if it would be less detailled (for our low poly fans ) and even not exactly so oriental or whatever changes the mainstream prefers, but some of the "organic technology" and the "vampire tribals" design are simply amazing and should get a revival!

As an hommage and upliving of the essence of (apparently) Kevin Johnstone's amazing UT3 designs I found in this thread. If you could implement armor seams with a ressemblance to such decos your Necris could become absolutely perfect imo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	NEC_Ceramics.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	334329 Click image for larger version

Name:	NEC_Ceramics2.jpg
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	334330 Click image for larger version

Name:	NEC_BabelSpire2.jpg
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	334331

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

@Psychomorph
                      Well... for me Necris aren't exactly dead. They aren't reanimated bodies, but resurected people whos bodies still run physiological processes but with nanoblack substituting most of body liquids with blood being most notable example. So technically they died and now are alive again but transformed. Although your design is cool and i would like to see it included into design pool made by mangley. We can maybe even make it a bit more "vampire tribal" as TheoRiginal stated.

@TheoRiginal
                      Objection!

... well kinda. Because you can always have different vision . Personally i'm not into giving Necris their own civilisation and big culture including architectural style and own technology (like UT3 did) but making Phayder and Necris part of main human culture fighting for money and power with other corporations. Although some of Necris can have ornamented armors and maybe even should but rather as form of showing their shifted personalities rather than developing necris culture. Again - just sharing my vision, you are entitled to have your own.
                      Unofficial Enforcer Model
                      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11530[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]11531[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]11532[/ATTACH]
                        The thing that I never understand is... why the arabic feel on Necris' architecture? And why does it have Arabian calligraphy?

Comment

Originally posted by Handepsilon View Post
                          The thing that I never understand is... why the arabic feel on Necris' architecture? And why does it have Arabian calligraphy?
                          If I had to venture a theory, this is probably attributable to two factors: One being the overall progression of graphics and tools to allow more detailing, and complex mosaic patterns like that are generally impressive. Two being an attempt to draw parallels to real-life current events in the storyline of UT3.
                          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                            If I had to venture a theory, this is probably attributable to two factors: One being the overall progression of graphics and tools to allow more detailing, and complex mosaic patterns like that are generally impressive. Two being an attempt to draw parallels to real-life current events in the storyline of UT3.
                            Hopefully not the latter. When I showed this architecture to my classmates back in high school, we had a little awkward feeling about this calligraphy due to... well, possible stereotype-related reason of its' insertion. If you know what I mean

Then again Omicron 6 was a desolated desert planet. So we can also use it as a factor

Comment

Hmm interesting concepts. Makes me imagine it being the dark version of a classic Thunder Crash-style armour.

Comment

I feel Fartuess has completely nailed the Necris.

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                                Personally i'm not convinced by this design direction for necris. UT'99 Vampire/Goth direction suggested that Necris are people with strongly developed individuality. Current direction makes necris into an army of characterless zombies where single one of them is not very different from other one. Faction 'essence' too rigid, not much space for concept variation. Good for meatshield enemies for next Gears but not very much for character people would play as. Anyway... here is copypasta from other thread.
                                The second paragraph of this is brilliant.

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                                For me necris shouldn't be mindless zombie-punk-cyborgs made by big corporation to fill their army and start a cult. For me Necris should be small group of inviduals who were rich enough or who made deals with phayder corp, so they could go through very expensive process of bringing them back to live after death causing accidents. Phayder could actually be company completely made from alive non-necris people who are making crapload of money on bringing people back to life without any religious theme behind it. Members of Necris in such scenario would be people coming from different places with main thing connecting them being debt to phayder corp which they are paying by participating in tournament (Unless they were rich enough themselves or had someone else wishing to pay for their reincarnation. In such case we can have Necris people in such team as Thunder Crash or Juggernaut as well).

Other thing worth consideration is how fact of being Necris affect peoples mind. We could assume that their hormone system is not working in normal way, so they can't feel passion to something "from heart" and lack of it annoys them and forces it to emulate it "from mind" which lead them to develop different obsessions. Thats why they are into goth or tribal or punk or medievalistic (Nercis who is into swords and such wearing chest platemail ftw) or militiary or whatever interesting you can figure out. This would make the diverse group of strong interesting individuals instead of army of clones and allow wide range of designs which could satisfy more people. Give them some character and individuality.

For the nanoblack affecting their appearance beyond white skin, black blood and changed eyes. Adding nanoblack tinted skin limits freedom of interesting designs. I would rather create one Necris with skull like tattos. For cybernetics - i would add them to some of them because their bodies were heavily damaged in incidents which cuased their death.

For aspect of mystery of Necris. I would keep nanoblack as most noticeable part of Necrifying someone. The mystery would come from rest of aspects of turning someone into necris (in lore give questions, but not answers), way how it changes people personality and motvation and details of phayder corp (why alive people are doing it and what they want from people who they are having special deals with).

Also not all of necris have to wear black and be an outcast (i guess people would be rather afriad of them). There could be one who have rich and colourful personality and is a cool dude. Just to add more depth to this subrace and show that there are always exceptions.
                                Don't make the Necris into corporate zombie soldiers.
                                also known as Humphro

Comment

Working...
                                X