Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I'm just not feeling it with this guy. The overall execution here is top notch, but the concept just does not say Necris to me. This character, who I've nicknamed "Frank," is just missing the mark on the Necris concept. The most distracting thing to me is the black patches on his neck / face, which to me just looks like he has a strange affinity for Oreo cookies.

Personally I can do without the excessive cynernetics as well. Cybernetics on a character whose fiction is that they are infused with nanomachines is just jarring and at odds with the fiction.* I understand we want to present these characters as having a unique faction identity, but it's not like cybernetic attachments and the whole shunts & wires aesthetic is the only way to accomplish that, as Necris in UT1 & UT2 prove. I'm not even opposed to the incorporation of cybernetics in a general sense as character-specific modifications (e.g. one guy has a completely prosthetic arm, leg, etc), but the idea here seems to be establishing the baseline Necris as all sharing this basic element, which just harkens back too much to the bad elements of the UT3 Necris design.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Aside from slimming down the sheer mass of armor, these guys are coming from the same place. We already know the UT3 Necris missed the mark, so I hope we can adjust course before we repeat the same misstep.

* I don't think the Necris faction should be pigeonholed into "guys with nanomachines for blood" either. But that's a different point
    Attached Files
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Why is Epic handing down this UT3-styled design?

What is the point in this community development if Epic are just going to make decisions like this?
      also known as Humphro

Comment

Diode, you can still make your own concept art, or even whole characters and sell them on the marketplace... so the official style doesn't really matter (even though I LOVE IT), the options are limitless.

Comment

@Diode
          Thanks

@ins0mni4c7
          With such approach we can just say that opinions and ideas are not worth anything if you can't implement them yourself. And if you are capable of delivering the model yourself, then you can just do it without caring about someones else opinion.
          Unofficial Enforcer Model
          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

@Fartuess
            Yeah, I get your point, I agree, you are completely right. Perhaps I chose the wrong words or something, didn't want to make it feel so critical...

Comment

I get the feeling that neither Malcolm or Loque are finalized and that Epic are just using them as they are right now to get a handle on how they want to implement characters and integrate Marketplace cosmetics, animations etc. I expect that they still aim to match the appearance of the Necris more closely to Chris Perna's necris sculpture and that what's seen in-game currently is just a first pass at materials.

The model looks good so far but the loose pipe that isn't integrated into the neck is a bit questionable.

Comment

@ins0mnia4c7
                I felt like you were trying to shorten discussion. Now i feel i was wrong. Anyway i feel that discussion and throwing various ideas is still valid in case of necris design as it is not set yet (i want to think same as mangley that this necris is more of a test rather than saying "this is official necris design from now")

Comment

@Fartuess
                  Agreed 100% Keep up the good work everybody ^^

Comment

The Necris could also be mixed with cyborg parts like for example
                    cyborg head or bot head (like matrix from UT99) - looks hardcore!
                    GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                      It seems that the new cyberpunk-zombie-soldier-Necris design is pretty polarising, even among oldschool UT fans. Still open for alternatives? What about Gooba's take on chars here?
                      This looks like the perfect Necris to me. Futuristic, vampiry, tribal-ornamented, arrogant attitude. And it's neither cybernetic nor overly detailled but still badass and much more fitting to a nextgen necris imo.
                      They have to be wicked individuals, maybe swarm intelligent through their nanoblack. But not zombie soldiers with punk goth style, if you ask me.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

@TheoRiginal
                        If you look for alternative just read this whole thread :P.

And about this conept. Too Bioware'y. Looks like character from Mass Effect or Star Wars: The Old Republic.

About cyberpunk part of UT. Personally i would like to go in direction of "low cyberpunk" (like UT'99 did in some parts) rather than "high cyberpunk"

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                          @TheoRiginal
                          If you look for alternative just read this whole thread :P.

And about this conept. Too Bioware'y. Looks like character from Mass Effect or Star Wars: The Old Republic.

About cyberpunk part of UT. Personally i would like to go in direction of "low cyberpunk" (like UT'99 did in some parts) rather than "high cyberpunk"
                          I read and posted in this whole thread and there are only zombie soldier iterations, no alternatives.
                          Mangley's armor and styling was the best, but still for the same zombie soldiers. I'd prefer Gooba's scifi-vampire direction a lot.
                          You can get the UT99 Ricky Martin hair styles instead of the hood and white pupils for customisation parts, ok?

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

I fear this guy from the last pic from distance
                            may look like some normal people alot!
                            Probably because those scary white eyes
                            are missing plus too much clothing.
                            Also - the original necris were kinda wild
                            and this hooded appearance seems intellectual
                            what differs not unremarkable.
                            Last edited by Kaal979; 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM.
                            GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

@TheoRiginal
                              We started with evolution. Mangley designs were meant to be making necris less reanimated zombies and more ressurcted people but with a price for it while working on most generic and neutral necris variant - military one. But as i said few times (diode quoted those posts on the previous page) i would like necris to go in many different directions depending on their personality. One guy before death was mercenary who was all about profesionalism, so he is still wearing military outfit. Other one went goth, other one tribal, other one cyberpunk, and other one medievalistic and is wearing platemail chest piece. But most important they don't look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                                @TheoRiginal
                                We started with evolution. Mangley designs were meant to be making necris less reanimated zombies and more ressurcted people but with a price for it while working on most generic and neutral necris variant - military one. But as i said few times (diode quoted those posts on the previous page) i would like necris to go in many different directions depending on their personality. One guy before death was mercenary who was all about profesionalism, so he is still wearing military outfit. Other one went goth, other one tribal, other one cyberpunk, and other one medievalistic and is wearing platemail chest piece. But most important they don't look the same.
                                UT wasn't and shouldn't be that military like we have it now with weapons and all, first thing. It's a futuristic shooter in another galaxy and time, you '99 guys probably read too much military into it because it was boxy low poly models back then or you played too many war games untill today, perverting your taste.

Second thing: UT is a factions blood sport tournament, thatfor I'm very much for teams where the members have individualities but are dressed in a matching outfit, "belong visibly to the same troop."

And about Necris diversity, the UT99 Necris are just one team of one type of Necris: Phayder Necris Assassins - Black Legion. There can be various different Necris factions in the long run. I just prefer Gooba's concept as the more stylish, more UT-matching and more self-determined Necris image to be the default team, but I wouldn't mind if Black Legion soldiers (Mangley's seem the best for them), cyber goth punks and whatnot other Necris teams you want, follow. But they must always come in teams with corporate identity & scifi-vampires>zombie-soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                                X